Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Buyer

Options
  • 06-02-2020 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Hi All,

Never been in this forum before. I'm a runner who never runs in the cycle lane :)
    Apols for the typical thread but just hoping for some bike advice for myself and my partner. We are both using the BTW scheme but have not owned a bike since the 80's :D
    She currently commutes to work by walking/dublin bike but finds those bikes quite heavy and hard work into a headwind. Distance isn't huge. East Wall to Burlington Rd. Her only request is that it's light and can be able to carry a bag on the back maybe.

I drive to work (Sorry) :o East Wall to Airport isn't a great or safe cycle. Plus I don''t have shower options. I'm just looking to to cycle to training or to my fathers as an option. I use Dublin bikes a lot but would prefer my own with more than 3 gears!

We'd like the bikes to be comfortable enough to ride to Howth/Malahide.. Or as far as Dun Laoghire perhaps. No off roading or Triathlons planed.

Any bike names from shops in dublin city or our area who use the scheme would be much appreciated and we can take it from there.

On a side note. I love your dedication on twitter as a group and I hope you get the segregated cycle lanes someday. :)

Many thanks for reading.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

360 cycles beside the wooden bridge is a good spot, they're usually very decent in there.

one question would be regarding whether your wife has secure bike locking or not where she works - i wouldn't be investing too much in a bike i can't be sure is safe when locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Alicano

360 cycles beside the wooden bridge is a good spot, they're usually very decent in there.

one question would be regarding whether your wife has secure bike locking or not where she works - i wouldn't be investing too much in a bike i can't be sure is safe when locked up.

Yes. Her work has a secure underground bike area with lockers too. 360 is on the list. Any brand of bike I could be researching? Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

If you are just using a bike to commute a short distance, a hybrid type bike would suit. If you might want to ride longer distances at a weekend, then a drop bar bike would be better IMO. You might get a better deal buying second hand, as there are a lot of bikes on donedeal and adverts that people bought on the BTW and didn't use. That way, if you get into cycling you can then use the BTW to get a bike that suits at a later date. You'll need to budget for things like locks, lights and repair kits - which a lot of BTW buyers would have and include in a sale. Its worth looking at to get an idea of whats available

If you are just using a bike to commute a short distance, a hybrid type bike would suit. If you might want to ride longer distances at a weekend, then a drop bar bike would be better IMO. You might get a better deal buying second hand, as there are a lot of bikes on donedeal and adverts that people bought on the BTW and didn't use. That way, if you get into cycling you can then use the BTW to get a bike that suits at a later date. You'll need to budget for things like locks, lights and repair kits - which a lot of BTW buyers would have and include in a sale. Its worth looking at to get an idea of whats available

Many thanks for all that. Will have a look at second hand. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

You might get a better deal buying second hand, as there are a lot of bikes on donedeal and adverts that people bought on the BTW and didn't use.

There are also a lot of bikes for sale supposedly BTW but are actually stolen goods. Look carefully at the sellers record and previous sales. Several bikes bought and then immediately sold should be enough to tell you these guys are crook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Alicano wrote: »
    Yes. Her work has a secure underground bike area with lockers too. 360 is on the list. Any brand of bike I could be researching? Many thanks.
    Make sure she still locks it properly, with a decent lock, if it's a cage. My work doesn't have a cage, but the place that does has been cleared out a couple of times when the cage has been left open and people haven't locked their bikes...

I'd second not blowing bike to work on a first bike, if there's even a possibility of getting into it. It is a bit chicken and egg, as in a nicer newer bike might make you use it and love it more, but my first bike to work still irritates me a bit as it's not very versatile.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Make sure she still locks it properly, with a decent lock, if it's a cage. My work doesn't have a cage, but the place that does has been cleared out a couple of times when the cage has been left open and people haven't locked their bikes...

I'd second not blowing bike to work on a first bike, if there's even a possibility of getting into it. It is a bit chicken and egg, as in a nicer newer bike might make you use it and love it more, but my first bike to work still irritates me a bit as it's not very versatile.

Great advice. Many thanks for the response. :)

Advertisement