Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of basic maintenance - chain and cassette

Options
  • 06-02-2020 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    don't know a lot about bikes. Have an old MTB that i use to cycle 4k to the luas every day, got it from a mate. Chained the brakes but the chain makes noise like its under some serious pressure. Do i need to change it?

Secondy, similar issue. I rescued a bike from a skip at the office. one of the lads was chucking it. I take it there is no recovering this chain and i need a new one? but what about the rusty cassette?

thanks
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/BhfU7bCy8nnE8VLPA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Do you lubricate the chain on your bike? Without it, they can sound pretty scary sometimes.

That cassette looks like it might need replacing alight. But you could possibly clean/repair it. But might just be easier to replace it.
    Looks like a decent enough bike, what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The cassette looks like it isn’t too worn but hasn’t seen oil in quite a while. Douse the whole rear derailleur and cassette in WD40 and cycle it a few KMs going up and down through the gears then when you get home clean the chain by running it through a clean cloth as you spin the cranks backward. Then lube the chain using a good quality wet lube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Effects wrote: »
    Do you lubricate the chain on your bike? Without it, they can sound pretty scary sometimes.

That cassette looks like it might need replacing alight. But you could possibly clean/repair it. But might just be easier to replace it.
    Looks like a decent enough bike, what is it?

Carrera Crossfire 2 by what i can see on it. https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-crossfire-2-mens-hybrid-bike-white-s-m-l-frames

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

re: lubricating the chain. Nope. I've literally only just got back on a bike in the last few months after 30 years not being on one since a kid. So I'm trying to school myself on what I should be doing! Not even sure how to use gears!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Re: pic of rusty drivetrain - chain is probably too far gone to fully free up, but it and the freewheel (it's not a cassette) don't look that heavily worn - try a new chain on it, if it skips under pressure, you'll need a new freewheel after all, but nothing ventured, nothing gained...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bronkobilly

Type 17 wrote: »
    Re: pic of rusty drivetrain - chain is probably too far gone to fully free up, but it and the freewheel (it's not a cassette) don't look that heavily worn - try a new chain on it, if it skips under pressure, you'll need a new freewheel after all, but nothing ventured, nothing gained...

replace the chain the cassette seems oright just a bit of rust oil up the cables etc and every thing should work

Advertisement