Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir - charging for an email address

• 06-02-2020 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Eir are going to charge for an email address.

I pay them €1000 each year for my service - additional charge to use their email seems a bit much.

Am going to change supplier unless Eir reverses this charge.

I wonder if Eir customers contacted Eir to ask when their contract is up would Eir reverse decision?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

adrian92 wrote: »
    Eir are going to charge for an email address.

I pay them €1000 each year for my service - additional charge to use their email seems a bit much.

Am going to change supplier unless Eir reverses this charge.

I wonder if Eir customers contacted Eir to ask when their contract is up would Eir reverse decision?

I think this will only apply to non-eir customers. Not currently customers. BT have being doing this for a while in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Elmo wrote: »
    I think this will only apply to non-eir customers. Not currently customers. BT have being doing this for a while in the UK

No.

I am an Eir customer., have been for years.

They told me I have to pay for continued use of my eir email

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You'd be better off just hosting your own email. It's about a tenner a year with Blacknight, plus the domain name cost.

adrian92 wrote: »
    No.

I am an Eir customer., have been for years.

They told me I have to pay for continued use of my eir email

That's crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Who in their right mind would pay €6 a month for eircom.net when there are tons of email providers out there online?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Left "air"mail due to all the spam*

*Gets my coat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,581 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I've had an eircom email address for over 20 years as my main email address and still is. This is a right PITA.

I'm a customer of Eir mobile, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. Still haven't got any word from Eir though, which is a terrible way to treat your customers, even those using a free service.

Also the very short time frame makes it difficult to ensure annual renewals etc. will work correctly.

Even if it turns out I'm not impacted by this, I can't take the chance and can't trust them, so I've already put it in train to get a domain and email hosting, just under €21 a year altogether inc VAT, which makes what Eir are proposing to charge look utterly ridiculous.

Used to get loads of spam on the eircom.net email address years ago, but very very little in recent years, and never had any problems with non-delivery either. Still though, adios Eir :P

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Who in their right mind would pay €6 a month for eircom.net when there are tons of email providers out there online?

Yes, I agree.

There is a hassel factor in notifying others of new email address

Perhaps Eir is aware of that

I may be hard for some people to do this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

chrislad wrote: »
    You'd be better off just hosting your own email. It's about a tenner a year with Blacknight, plus the domain name cost.

if i move to blacklight can i keep my @eircom.net address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

curryman wrote: »

No.

curryman wrote: »

No they are suggesting alternatives to eircom.net

Eg if your email address is curryman@eircom.net you could always set up a domain curryman.net and have an email address eircom@curryman.net

This would be cheapier than the eircom.net address.

Or you could just get a free Gmail, Yahoo! Or outlook account.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Traficante

It would fit them better to improve the serrvices we are already paying for instead of trying to screw us over. Their BB service is going backwards.

Advertisement