Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Persistent calf injuries

• 06-02-2020 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14

Hi
    Injured and depressed at the moment. I have had persistent reoccurring injuries in both calves going back over 2 years now. It is the same spot that keeps getting injured, alternatively in both calves... Right in the middle of the calf where the soleus inserts into the gastrocnemius.
    I have had 30 - 40 physio sessions at this stage (with 2 different practices) and I recently underwent a 2 month rehab program with nightly exercises (calf raises, hopping on one leg etc).
    On 2 occasions now, the same calf has torn, in the physios office, during the final standing jump tests that were supposed to be the final test before getting back on a running program. I really feel like I am at the end of the road. There is talk about maybe getting a MRI done but, other than probably showing scar tissue on both calves, I don't really see how that is going to benefit me.
    This post is kinda a last resort to see if anyone out there has been in a similar position and/or has any thoughts or ideas of what I could possibly try next. I really feel that I've exhausted the physio route.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am 48 years old but carrying no excess body fat.
    Many thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Probably a longshot tbh but have you spoken to anyone about your mobility. It might be worth a look.

I think there's a few physios on the board so maybe they can make suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 jimmypnufc

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Probably a longshot tbh but have you spoken to anyone about your mobility. It might be worth a look.

I think there's a few physios on the board so maybe they can make suggestions.

Yeah, that was actually one of the first things we were going to look at once I got back running, my running gait/biomechanics... Unfortunately the calf keeps going during stress tests just before that point. Thanks for your response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

jimmypnufc wrote: »
    Yeah, that was actually one of the first things we were going to look at once I got back running, my running gait/biomechanics... Unfortunately the calf keeps going during stress tests just before that point. Thanks for your response.

Not what I was thinking. Have a look at movement101 on social media, I had good success with them ,granted it was nothing as serious as what you have. Different approach to physios though so might be worth a look.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Not what I was thinking. Have a look at movement101 on social media, I had good success with them ,granted it was nothing as serious as what you have. Different approach to physios though so might be worth a look.

Thanks, will definitely check it out ðŸ‘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Hi
    Injured and depressed at the moment. I have had persistent reoccurring injuries in both calves going back over 2 years now. It is the same spot that keeps getting injured, alternatively in both calves... Right in the middle of the calf where the soleus inserts into the gastrocnemius.
    I have had 30 - 40 physio sessions at this stage (with 2 different practices) and I recently underwent a 2 month rehab program with nightly exercises (calf raises, hopping on one leg etc).
    On 2 occasions now, the same calf has torn, in the physios office, during the final standing jump tests that were supposed to be the final test before getting back on a running program. I really feel like I am at the end of the road. There is talk about maybe getting a MRI done but, other than probably showing scar tissue on both calves, I don't really see how that is going to benefit me.
    This post is kinda a last resort to see if anyone out there has been in a similar position and/or has any thoughts or ideas of what I could possibly try next. I really feel that I've exhausted the physio route.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am 48 years old but carrying no excess body fat.
    Many thanks...

In the 30/40 physio visit, did any of them do manual release work to your calves or any other area?.
    Apart for the calf raise and hopping what other corrective/strength work did the give you. ?
    Where are you based?

Just for clarity, the Soleus doesnt insert into the Gastroc ;)

• Advertisement

Ceepo wrote: »
    In the 30/40 physio visit, did any of them do manual release work to your calves or any other area?.
    Apart for the calf raise and hopping what other corrective/strength work did the give you. ?
    Where are you based?

Just for clarity, the Soleus doesnt insert into the Gastroc ;)

Thanks for the response. The first practice did a bit of work getting rid of several adhesions on both calves and the calves have remained clear. The second guys based the recovery mainly on calf raises, hopping and I was adding in a few box jumps myself. I am in Enfield, meath...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Hi
    Many thanks...

Doing strength work with injured muscles makes that muscle weaker and more injured. You must allow the injured area to heal before you try to strengthen it. You wouldnt do 40kg bicep curls with a torn bicep why would you do calf raises with a torn calf? It seems from this distance that you have been very unlucky with the advice you have recieved. Find a good injury thearapist to assist the healing process before attempting any more strength work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Hi
    Many thanks...

I'd have got the MRI done first. At least then you know what you're dealing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Just some bloke

Any at stage in the process have any of the physios examined you above the calf? If the same injury is alternating between the calves then it sounds like the origin of the problem is elsewhere and it's just being expressed in your calves.

Any at stage in the process have any of the physios examined you above the calf? If the same injury is alternating between the calves then it sounds like the origin of the problem is elsewhere and it's just being expressed in your calves.

Yeah, that makes sense actually... I'm going to book an appointment in the pain and performance clinic in Fonthill. Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

• Advertisement
Advertisement