Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoin Harris on Newstalk just now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

So that was 15 million pounds in 1998. The children's hospital was announced in 2016 at a cost of 650 million. It is not been increased to over 1.7 billion as of 2019 and will probably cost more than 2 billion when finished. How can you not see how taking that much out of the healthcare budget hurt patient care? The HSE hiring freeze was directly related to the rising costs of the children hospital.

I have many opinions on the crisis of the health of the country (as opposed to the healthcare crisis) and until we start having honest (and to many unpalatable) conversations about that, then we will get nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Anyone else notice the amount of people who can't spell his name. :(
    Eoghan Harris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

They want it reviewed, as do The Green Party. What's The Green Party's motives for wanting to get rid? Oh...human rights and stuff.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/greens-repeat-unity-message-despite-differences-on-abortion-and-courts-980171.html

"Mr Ryan said the party had long heeded the opinion of human rights organisations such as Amnesty International, which has criticised the court, which sits without a jury, and is used to prosecute suspected gangland members and terrorist paramilitaries."

“We should heed what Amnesty International and the Irish Council of Civil Liberties are saying and that we should remove the conditions that exist in that intimidation and then return to a jury-based system and trust our people to make those decisions.”

Not a fan of the Greens bleeding heart approach either. In my opinion the SCC has a place in the Irish justice system. Remember this is a small island nation where everybody knows everybody. I would not expect any citizen to stand on a jury in cases of heinous crimes committed by psychopathic, murderous drug gangs or terrorists. There is too much scope for jury and witness intimidation where extremely dangerous criminals are involved.

Sometimes we must take the kid gloves off when dealing with violent crime. Look at what the drug gangs are doing in Drogheda. That is why the SCC is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Harris has obviously been promised another sinecure in Seanad Éireann if he put in a performance like that.

A world-class political meltdown. What a toolbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

almostover wrote: »
    Where's the spoof in my statement? I've said that I totally disagreed with the idea of an RIC commemoration. It would have been totally inappropriate. I never insinuated anywhere that the Black and Tans were separate from the RIC. Did you even read my posts?

You were giving out about someone saying the commemoration was for the Tans on the basis that “it was an RIC commemoration actually but you clearly don’t have nuance etc etc” which was insinuating the Tans and the RIC were different things as opposed to being the same thing, which they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

FTA69 wrote: »
    You were giving out about someone saying the commemoration was for the Tans on the basis that “it was an RIC commemoration actually but you clearly don’t have nuance etc etc” which was insinuating the Tans and the RIC were different things as opposed to being the same thing, which they were.

They were the same thing eventually. The Black and Tans were a reinforcement squad for the RIC during the war of independence. I also acknowledged that an RIC commemoration was totally inappropriate.

The above has little to do with why one should or should vote SF. Their refusal to condemn more recent murders is what should turn people off.

The debate here has given me a valuable insight into the mind of a SF apologist. They can do no wrong in their eyes.

Best of luck to all voting tomorrow, important that all citizens exercise their democratic right. Hopefully an improved government will be elected.

Did anyone from the Green party shoot at your father ?

No,
    But they made him buy a 1.4l diesel and its been nothing but trouble.

Rodin wrote: »
    I have many opinions on the crisis of the health of the country (as opposed to the healthcare crisis) and until we start having honest (and to many unpalatable) conversations about that, then we will get nowhere.

or you know, we could actually try achieve change from within. Increase clinical governance, encourage patient safety initiatives such as electronic prescribing, improve bed flow.

I think it's a cop out to suggest that there is no point in trying to change aspects of the HSE because we will get nowhere. Anything that improves patient safety is worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Exit polls should be interesting, hopefully the Shinner surge has been stalled, and maybe even reversed?

Sinn Fein 26 seats Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Wait until Sunday, the majority of the outraged here and the media will be saying Paul who?

They sure as fock didn't care about him two weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Harris is completely nuts. At the time when the corruption of Bertie Ahern was being exposed he said this of the tribunal "people will look back and say that the Tribunal time was scoundrel time". He also brought up fascism in the media's treatment of Bertie Ahern.

He sounded like a headcase on this video and presented nothing coherent. There's plenty of SF critics, why present someone so unhinged to attack them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Rodin wrote: »
    Have the Shinners explained how they will fund their Santa's wish list?

A quick totting up of the promises on the RTE summary of their manifesto revealed they need to find 7 billion euro.
    Each year.

I’d imagine they still have some cash left over from the Northern Bank robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I’d imagine they still have some cash left over from the Northern Bank robbery.

Careful now, or SF will have their lawyers after you! :pac::pac::D
    Fianna Fáil justice spokesman Jim O'Callaghan, who claims Sinn Féin is unfit to be a coalition partner, has been providing legal services to the party's former president Gerry Adams.

Mr O'Callaghan yesterday led his party's attacks on Sinn Féin over its handling of the Paul Quinn murder.

But the Irish Independent has learned the TD, who also works as a barrister, was hired by former Sinn Féin president Mr Adams to act in a defamation action against a national newspaper.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/revealed-ff-tds-work-on-legal-case-for-gerry-adams-38934927.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Harris is completely nuts. At the time when the corruption of Bertie Ahern was being exposed he said this of the tribunal "people will look back and say that the Tribunal time was scoundrel time". He also brought up fascism in the media's treatment of Bertie Ahern.

He sounded like a headcase on this video and presented nothing coherent. There's plenty of SF critics, why present someone so unhinged to attack them?

Harris is a bit unhinged,but the fundamentals of what he said are true. There`s a new generation under the age of thirty out there that have no understanding of what was really happening on this island in the decades before they were born. There isn`t a new generation coming through yet in Sinn Fein. Mary Lou is fifty. She`s around long enough to remember the worst of the atrocities and should be he held to account for why she got actively involved with the political mouthpiece for a terrorist group.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

If you actually ever listen to Yates show you will realise he HATES Leo and FG.

Spends a lot of each programme slating them.

But yeah tax da rich and its a conspiracy.

If you ever listen to Yates you will realise that all he loves is the sound of his own voice. Harris may be a nutter but he can be relied upon to liven up things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

How anyone still listens to Eoghan Harris is beyond me. During the Brexit negotiations he had Leo cast as an arch republican striving for a united Ireland by stealth. The poor DUP being shafted by the Irish government.

For me he doesn't have a shred of credibility. Does anyone remember his foulmouthed rant on Eamon Dunphy podcast in relation to abortion debate I think.

He is a clown and does not deserve airtime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Feisar wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for a quick IQ test before one votes?

if only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

tibruit wrote: »
    Harris is a bit unhinged,but the fundamentals of what he said are true. There`s a new generation under the age of thirty out there that have no understanding of what was really happening on this island in the decades before they were born. There isn`t a new generation coming through yet in Sinn Fein. Mary Lou is fifty. She`s around long enough to remember the worst of the atrocities and should be he held to account for why she got actively involved with the political mouthpiece for a terrorist group.
    He's more than a bit unhinged, and the nazis comparison and saying voters today are complicit in past murders and have blood on their hands, obliterates any tiny semblance of credibility.

There is of course a new generation coming in in SF. She's not the only member.

I say that as someone who will not vote SF, but I cannot stand dishonesty - and acceptance of it - in political discourse. Harris is also an apologist for unionist bigotry.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,078 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Remember folks, the likes of Dobbo, Yates, and Harris will pay higher taxes if SF get their way.

We all will.

Well, everyone who still has a job!

The HSE hiring freeze was directly related to the rising costs of the children hospital.

Can you demonstrate that the current budget was reduced in order to increase the capital budget? because that's not how public sector budgeting works

HSE has overruns every year in its current budget, childrens' hospital or no. if you want to look for the reasons for a hiring freeze, start there.

She`s around long enough to remember the worst of the atrocities and should be he held to account for why she got actively involved with the political mouthpiece for a terrorist group.

She saw an opening for someone with ambition, which wasn't there for her in FF, so she switched.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

I made no reference to the suffering of the Jewish people. Are you unable to see the word Nazi without seeing the word Jew ?

I refer only to the violent DNA in SF, and its record in murder, being worse than the Nazis before the Nazis came to power. SF has no politics save a 32 county republic. Any line trotted out is simply a alternative strategy to terrorism to achieve that end. A movement prepared to torture and bomb people will surely have no compunction whatsoever about mounting a political front if that is seen as an alternative strategy to achieve the same goal. People are being suckered into the facade that they are a real political party.

One of the dumbest sentences ever formed on this website. Well done. Your parents must be proud, they clearly raised a scholar....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

She saw an opening for someone with ambition, which wasn't there for her in FF, so she switched.

OK, so the overriding motivation was cynical self advancement, but that doesnt get her off the hook for being a supporter and apologist for terrorism and murder. Many SF/IRA folk are deluded thugs, where as she seems to to be a wide awake supporter of murderers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

They're all windbags. Was coerced into attending a debate between various politicians recently. It was worse than a really long boring mass.

I'm an intelligent and educated person, and I've decided to give SF a go this time.
    Intelligent. educated hmmmm?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Ferm001

Big problem is that a lot of people in the South had little knowledge of what was going on in the North during the troubles, only what they heard on the tv or radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,078 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/barristers-cannot-discriminate-against-clients-on-the-basis-of-politics-bar-council-says-1.4165454
    The Bar Council later released a statement in which it did not refer to the controversy directly or name any of the parties involved.

It said it was the duty of barristers to be independent and free from any influence, especially influences that might arise from their personal interests or external pressure.

“Barristers cannot discriminate in favour of or against any person availing, or seeking to avail, of the services of the barrister on the grounds of race, colour, sex, sexual orientation, language, politics, religion, nationality, national or social origin, national minority, birth or other status.”

It said these rules were detailed in its code of conduct, to which all members were bound.

“ It is in accordance with the provision that everyone is entitled to access to justice, which is central to trust in the Irish legal system and the rule of law.”

I can imagine the howls of outrage if some barrister connected to FF or FG refused to represent an SFer... so he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

SF are undoubtedly coming to the table with a more murderous and violent track record than the Nazis.

Ah come on. I don't like the miserable feckers either but that's hardly defensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Those of us that remember are living in the present and recall the Good Friday Agreement.
    Were you out giving the Queen the Business over the Falklands when she was over?
    Ferm001 wrote: »
    Big problem is that a lot of people in the South had little knowledge of what was going on in the North during the troubles, only what they heard on the tv or radio.

People up north only had TV and radio too unless they saw it with their own eyes.
    'little knowledge' is a nonsense. All most of us ever have is the media and that goes for every single issue at home, in occupied territory and abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

McMurphy wrote: »

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. And he's even lip synching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Ah come on. I don't like the miserable feckers either but that's hardly defensible.

Che ? Its an unarguable fact. Sure, the Nazis killed more people after taking power than the SF/IRA have, but up to the point of being part of a government, the NSDAP had killed fewer people.

Che ? Its an unarguable fact. Sure, the Nazis killed more people after taking power than the SF/IRA have, but up to the point of being part of a government, the NSDAP had killed fewer people.

Phew. I'll sleep soundly tonight knowing that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Phew. I'll sleep soundly tonight knowing that.

F*** it, I'm convinced, sorry homeless children, Nazis something something.

Advertisement