Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoin Harris on Newstalk just now

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I heard it and thought it was funny.

Was waiting for him to call sf voters the basket of deplorables.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Hitler, and the Nazi seizure of power (the Machtergreifung), is a very apt echo and warning nonetheless for the mood of many of the Irish in this election. The Germans turned to Nazism very much in a 'well at least they will do something different', 'we are tired of all the currrent crowd', and 'well the surely cant make things worse' after the years of turmoil and hardship following the end of the Great War. SF are undoubtedly coming to the table with a more murderous and violent track record than the Nazis. So warnings referencing them are very aposite this week.

I do wonder how Jewish people feel when people use their suffering to make comparisons between those who stuffed their relatives into ovens with political opponents or rivals such as in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Paul Quinn murder was 2007 yeah?

Didn't the troubles end in 1998?

I'd hate to count the number of murders since 2007 never mind 1998.

Paul Quinn murder had nothing to do with 'the trouble' or conflict or war.
    It had to do with criminality and greed. It was as the IMC pointed out 'a dispute not unconnected to illegal activity'.

If you have evidence it was anything other than this talk to the IMC or the Gardai or PSNI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Gods Gift wrote: »
    I heard it and thought it was funny.

Was waiting for him to call sf voters the basket of deplorables.

Sinn Fein voters are morally superior to that bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

smurgen wrote: »
    I do wonder how Jewish people feel when people use their suffering to make comparisons between those who stuffed their relatives into ovens with political opponents or rivals such as in this instance.

Why did you bring up the Jewish people then ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Paul Quinn murder was 2007 yeah?

Didn't the troubles end in 1998?

Problem is, if theres any suggestion that the PIRA "backroom boys" are still pulling the strings, then the public need to made aware, hence the current onslaught to flush out every last drop of poison.

Everybody knows that Mary Lou is but a 'shop front' mouthpiece for much darker shadowy figures lurking in the Shinner storeroom out back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Problem is, if theres any suggestion that the PIRA "backroom boys" are still pulling the strings, then the public need to made aware, hence the current onslaught to flush out every last drop of poison.

Everybody knows that Mary Lou is but a 'shop front' mouthpiece for much darker shadowy figures lurking in the store room out back.

It's a pity someone more sane, reliable and trustworthy than Eoghan Harris wasn't brought out then...

You know... If everyone knows... Then surely it would be easy to find a better placed individual to do the nation some service than raving Eoghan Harris?

Why did you bring up the Jewish people then ?

Because you brought up Nazi's on several occasions.you should really take a break from the web for awhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

I'm no fan of SF, and I will not be voting for them

BUT

I thought it was disgraceful that MoC was allowed to host a debate given that her brother is running. A normal person would have stepped aside, but not MoC - she had to put the boot in and interrupted Mary Lou several times.

I repeat I am not an SF supporter, far from it, but I would be minded to write to the RTe to complain about such matters,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

The hypocrisy against Sinn Fein is scandalous .

38 children died in the Easter Rising.
    Let's talk about the "heroes" of Easter week...

One man's hero....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

I will say though, Mícheál Martin being stuck for words in the interview after it was brilliant.
    He was asked to describe Leo in one word... Radio silence 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Reeks of desperation. Voters have already decided anyway and with the track record FF/FG have when it comes to health, housing, corruption, bailouts etc. This is what this election will be about. FG is losing its voters to FF and goes after SF, which if the smears and bias did work, would only push these voters to FF so they’d still be the third place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Rodin wrote: »
    The hypocrisy against Sinn Fein is scandalous .

38 children died in the Easter Rising.
    Let's talk about the "heroes" of Easter week...

One man's hero....

Well, Eoghan Harris would call them terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Harris was excellent, great piece of radio and I would say his piece would make alot of people sit up and think twice about who they really are voting for. I'm not prepared to vote for a party with an army council looking over the leaders shoulders. The special criminal court answers from Mary Lou tell me all I need to know. Well done Harris!.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Eoghan Harris laments the Easter rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Because you brought up Nazi's on several occasions.you should really take a break from the web for awhile.
    i cant see someone with 7k plus posts takinh a break, this is their vocation.

Everybody knows that Mary Lou is but a 'shop front' mouthpiece for much darker shadowy figures lurking in the Shinner storeroom out back.

Links please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Greens will cut health services to pay for monorail s and hempfarms.

Monorail are more a Shelbyville ides

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Now is not the time to ignore the terrorist backdrop of election candidates.

This the terrorist backdrop of FFFG candidates because of their parties support for the terrorism of the RC church?

Their support of US terrorism?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Asitis2019 wrote: »
    I'm no fan of SF, and I will not be voting for them

BUT

I thought it was disgraceful that MoC was allowed to host a debate given that her brother is running. A normal person would have stepped aside, but not MoC - she had to put the boot in and interrupted Mary Lou several times.

I repeat I am not an SF supporter, far from it, but I would be minded to write to the RTe to complain about such matters,
    You'll get them at R.T.E. Donnybrook. Dublin 4,

Mc Donald was happy to go on. Probably to play the feminist stick together card but it didn't work out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭PressRun

The Irish media has been in collective meltdown since that poll showing SF in the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

At least that's consistent.

Why are Pearse,Connolly and Collins heroes but Mc Guinness and Adams are terrorists?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Allinall

Links please?

You really need a link?

When was the last time SF held a parliamentary party meeting?

The answer is never.

They don’t have them because they would be pointless.

Policy decisions are made elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭cutelad

Are you really that fickle that someone on the radio expressing their opinion can influence you into voting the opposite??

It was awful the vile he said. But worse not challenged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

My God, it's like Eoin has shaken a wasps nest full of angry waspish Shinners, they're really buzzin now :)
    Generic comment lacking anything of value.

I actually really dislike Sinn Fein as a party (I disagree greatly with their economic ideology in particular) but this is about someone foaming at the mouth with rabid rage on a national broadcaster, and spewing out utter drivel (like the nazis comparison) which nobody who wants impartiality and reasoned debate would be ok with. I don't buy comparisons between FG's and FF's armed wing with the provisional IRA, but neither do I hold the current membership accountable for the IRA's atrocities or believe voters now have blood on their hands, because that's just stupid - they're not travelling back in time to join the IRA's campaign of violence.

Any view too on the odious comment from someone saying the IRA's track record is worse than that of the nazis?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

No impartiality whatsoever on Newstalk's part.

Do they have to be impartial?

I realise RTE, as the state broadcaster, ties itself in knots to appear unbiased. But I presume Newstalk can do whatever they like ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Rodin wrote: »
    At least that's consistent.

Why are Pearse,Connolly and Collins heroes but Mc Guinness and Adams are terrorists?
    Who says that? The anti SF crowd are always moaning about the Rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I can't believe Yates let it go on till Harris almost self-combusted
    It was awful, no matter your political persuasion

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Anyone that compares the nazis to anyone in the world is a nutjob, i'm hoping that irish people are smart enough to see this. Really belittles what hell the jewish people went through to see nazi comparisons thrown around so easily. Eoghan Harris should be sectioned as he's not really well.
    Desperate stuff:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Eoghan Harris was a Republican back in his youth, had links to Official SF/RA who went on to become a staunch unionist. He's an attention seeking gimp. Dunphy wouldn't have a look in.

Advertisement