Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoin Harris on Newstalk just now

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Allinall wrote: »

When was the last time SF held a parliamentary party meeting?

Was it in a tent at a gambling festival?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Harris was excellent, great piece of radio and I would say his piece would make alot of people sit up and think twice about who they really are voting for. I'm not prepared to vote for a party with an army council looking over the leaders shoulders. The special criminal court answers from Mary Lou tell me all I need to know. Well done Harris!.
    Nobody would ever really think well done about someone having a meltdown on air and making up bullsh1t about people having blood on their hands, and making dubious comparisons with the nazis.

But... gotta look edgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

smurgen wrote: »
    Links please?

Peadar Toibins remarks would allude to the idea that SF is not controlled by its elected representatives.

https://www.thejournal.ie/mary-lou-mcondald-sinn-fein-tds-no-influence-over-policy-untrue-4982712-Jan2020/%3famp=1

You could argue that he would know, given that he was a SF TD. Then again he was suspended from SF, while a TD, and subsequently left. I'm inclined to believe him..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭PressRun

Just shows how the Holocaust and Nazis just exist in people's minds as this abstract evil now. They'll compare anything at all to Nazism and the Holocaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Irish mediocrity, Harris talking to Yates on newstalk, you have to laugh really.

• Advertisement

Is the statement untrue ?
    Yes. How disgusting are you to use the genocide of millions to troll? How insulting is that to survivors of the camps and the relatives of those who were murdered?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

PressRun wrote: »
    Just shows how the Holocaust and Nazis just exist in people's minds as this abstract evil now. They'll compare anything at all to Nazism and the Holocaust.

Cheapens the gravity of the Holocaust IMO. But sure heavy words are lightly thrown in the midst of an election propoganda cycle.

Irish mediocrity, Harris talking to Yates on newstalk, you have to laugh really.
    What's "Irish mediocrity"?

Yes, a presenter talking to a guest.

Why do "you have to laugh"?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I thought it was an extraordinary interview but I'm used to Eoghan Harris and nothing would surprise me. However, I find it impossible to decide whether the interview was to damn SF or drum up support for them by being deliberately OTT offensive. Either way I would rather cut my own throat than vote for SF/IRA which is, of course, what the fascists thugs would like me to do anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

PressRun wrote: »

Well a FG TD in the last government likened the Water Charge protesters as akin to members of ISIS. These clowns are deluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

And why did they mention Nazis?
    Sinn Féin's Martin Kenny (no kin) is evidently not a subscriber to this thesis, as he introduced the Nazi parallel last week in Dáil Éireann in the context of the distressful situation around the Tuam mother and baby home. The Sligo-Leitrim TD said he had "often wondered about Hitler, the Germans and what happened to the Jews and how he was able to do what he did. If you sit and think about the kind of Ireland we had, it is very easy to understand how people were able to do these things."

If Mr Kenny really did "wonder" about Hitler, the Nazis and the Third Reich, he could have done so by dipping into the archives of his own party, Sinn Féin, which, historically, is replete with examples of his historical predecessors who behaved as though they were much in sympathy with Hitler's Reich.

He might have discussed this with his colleague Mary Lou McDonald, the keynote speaker in a 2003 tribute to IRA-Sinn Féin chief of staff Sean Russell, who died in 1940 in the middle of an operation aimed at fomenting a pro-Nazi rising in Ireland. Russell forged links with the Nazis in 1938, visiting Berlin on several occasions, with a view to enlisting the Reich in the IRA's bombing campaign against England. The Reich had its own bombing plans via the Luftwaffe, but they weren't averse to the IRA's more amateur efforts with home-made terrorist attacks.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/mary-kenny/if-sinn-fein-tds-want-to-talk-about-nazis-they-should-look-to-their-own-partys-history-35567326.html

Mary Lou knows.

They haven’t gone away you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

another “fair” debate alright. Ivan “the prod” and also a former tan td.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

Zetor19 wrote: »

It's attitudes like this that make a United Ireland a distant dream.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I thought it was an extraordinary interview but I'm used to Eoghan Harris and nothing would surprise me. However, I find it impossible to decide whether the interview was to damn SF or drum up support for them by being deliberately OTT offensive. Either way I would rather cut my own throat than vote for SF/IRA which is, of course, what the fascists thugs would like me to do anyway.

Lets elaborate on this for a second here.

Why would they like you to :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭misterme123

Didn't listen to it but I do find it depressing how many people think the negative stories about Sinn Féin are some sort of conspiracy. For one thing, Eoghan Harris obviously wouldn't be let anywhere near a microphone if that were the case. The big parties get scrutinised and there's plenty of material to work with when it comes to Sinn Féin. Are the media supposed to just ignore all the bad stuff about them and give them a free ride? Fianna Fail and Fine Gael are getting plenty of negative press as well. People with an axe to grind come out of the woodwork come election time. Nothing unusual about that. And yet there are people on here comparing it to North Korea.
    It's a real shame it's not the Social Democrats or some other genuine movement benefiting from the desire for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

24 hours later,, lots of time for you to catch up on history and yet you haven't managed to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Edgware wrote: »
    Monorail are more a Shelbyville ides

Wait and see, any town with more than 500 people will be expected to have a monorail.

Was it or was it not fg behind the Black and Tan commemoration?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

deise08 wrote: »
    I will say though, Mícheál Martin being stuck for words in the interview after it was brilliant.
    He was asked to describe Leo in one word... Radio silence ��

That's easy Gobsxxxx

Firstly, it was an RIC commemoration, but I wouldn't expect you to understand nuance.

Secondly, I disagreed with the RIC commemoration. It would have been wholly inappropriate.

One can disagree with an RIC commemoration without resorting to sectarian slurs.

• Advertisement

Was it Fine Gael in government during the various 1916 commemorations and referenda? By your insane logic FG are gay abortionist republican black and tans. Impressive.

Sinn Fein are "fascist"? Do people use dictionaries anymore?

The amount of incorrectly used terms on social media...
    Didn't listen to it but I do find it depressing how many people think the negative stories about Sinn Féin are some sort of conspiracy. For one thing, Eoghan Harris obviously wouldn't be let anywhere near a microphone if that were the case. The big parties get scrutinised and there's plenty of material to work with when it comes to Sinn Féin. Are the media supposed to just ignore all the bad stuff about them and give them a free ride? Fianna Fail and Fine Gael are getting plenty of negative press as well. People with an axe to grind come out of the woodwork come election time. Nothing unusual about that. And yet there are people on here comparing it to North Korea.
    It's a real shame it's not the Social Democrats or some other genuine movement benefiting from the desire for a change.
    Comparing it to NK is hilariously dumb all right, but Eoghan Harris was doing a lot more than criticising SF (which I've done myself on this very thread and nobody took issue with it) - he was being highly inflammatory and dishonest (as are people praising him).

I know someone who is unionist, fiercely pro Israel, FG supporting (a very nice person - just someone I'd disagree with a lot politically) and even they have said Harris has lost it and needs to quit and get help.

And you have rte news tonight trying to make a deal out of British soldiers names been vandalized in glasnevin, they are some shower of muppets if they think that’s going to lose sf votes. Is their any other examples in the world where a country would honour their oppressors?

And you have rte news tonight trying to make a deal out of British soldiers names been vandalized in glasnevin, they are some shower of muppets if they think that’s going to lose sf votes. Is their any other examples in the world where a country would honour their oppressors?

Jesus Christ. Must be a tinfoil shortage with all this nonsense. This is the real issue that we should be rasing with canvassers.

The 1916 commemorations are for ourselves not the ****ing RIC or Black and Tans. What a plonker you are. Are the brits putting up statues of hitler ?

This is the caliber of candidate the SF is running in this election. The ex-wife of a Garda murderer.

Seems his attempted murder of her wasn't enough to ward her off Sinn Fein. But such is the grip a cult can have on its followers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-51407812

The 1916 commemorations are for ourselves not the ****ing RIC or Black and Tans. What a plonker you are. Are the brits putting up statues of hitler ?

So you are confusing yourself.

almostover wrote: »
    This is the caliber of candidate the SF is running in this election. The ex-wife of a Garda murderer.

The scumbag nearly killed her - stabbing and beating her in front of their little boys.

This is it exactly, why in the world would everyone decide that sinn fein is the automatic party to turn to if you don't want FF or FG.
    There are other options, parties that are not aligned to terrorists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

almostover wrote: »

Seems his attempted murder of her wasn't enough to ward her off Sinn Fein. But such is the grip a cult can have on its followers.

That's a bit of a shocking post there. Really.

Advertisement