Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoin Harris on Newstalk just now

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

FTA69 wrote: »
    The IRA is gone, the conflict is over. There isn't some man in a balaclava under your bed.

There isnt. But you tell the character and motivation of a candidate by their history. That of SF candidates smells of terrorism. Sensible people have more than enough political options without have to vote for the violent scum of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Has anyone got a link to a podcast? I can't find it on NT's site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

Stop spoofing. The Black and Tans and the Auxiliaries were specific regiments within the RIC, they were part of that organisation and were police constables. Saying you're going to commemorate that police force but exclude specific parts of it is dishonest nonsense and you tried to insinuate earlier that the Tans et al were somehow different organisations.

Where's the spoof in my statement? I've said that I totally disagreed with the idea of an RIC commemoration. It would have been totally inappropriate. I never insinuated anywhere that the Black and Tans were separate from the RIC. Did you even read my posts?

I was pointing out that one poster alluded to Ivan Yates and FG being 'tans and prods'. Despite what some people believe the Black and Tans were never part of FG, FG being founded in 1933. And also if Ivan Yates is a 'prod' I don't see how his religious beliefs are relevant to this debate? I just wanted to call that sectarian slur out as unacceptable and as not conductive to the idea of a United Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

sligojoek wrote: »

It actually wouldn’t surprise me if Newstalk were approached by all parties including Sinn Féin and Fine Gael threatening legal action ... it was absolutely outrageous to all other political parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Zetor19 wrote: »
    another “fair” debate alright. Ivan “the prod” and also a former tan td.

Lay off the Prods :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Remember folks, the likes of Dobbo, Yates, and Harris will pay higher taxes if SF get their way.

Don't expect these so-called journos and media commentators to be unbiased.

Imagine if the media focused in on Yates's FG past and Miriam O'Callaghan's FF family.

Might help voters see things more clearly.

There'd be uproar if a political debate here was moderated by a former PBP or SF TD.

Same rules don't apply to the establishment.

irishfeen wrote: »
    How in the name of god could this pass any BAI election rules, 48 hours out from a General Election and Newstalk having this guy on lauding Fianna Fáil telling the nation to only vote for them and that Sinn Fein members were basically all in the IRA and scum .... UNCHALLENGED!!

Because its an unchallengable assertion ?
    All know it to be true. Some are OK with that fact, so dont wish to discuss the topic. Others are repulsed by it, and see merit in highlighting this appaling characteristic. To the discomfort of the IRA/SF cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Interview is up now on Newstalk's 'Listen Back' section. Skip to 22 minutes. I laughed earlier, but in all fairness listening now, what this demented goon said about the trains in Germany is pretty disgraceful and a good insight into the mind of this guy.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

almostover wrote: »
    Where's the spoof in my statement? I've said that I totally disagreed with the idea of an RIC commemoration. It would have been totally inappropriate. I never insinuated anywhere that the Black and Tans were separate from the RIC. Did you even read my posts. I was point ing out that one poster alluded to Ivan Yates and FG being 'tans and prods'. Despite what some people believe the Black and Tans were never part of FG, FG being founded in 1933. And also if Ivan Yates is a 'prod' I don't see how his religious beliefs are relevant to this debate? I just wanted to call that sectarian slur out as unacceptable and as not conductive to the idea of a United Ireland.

Says the poster who is happy to throw a few slurs around as well.
    Seems his attempted murder of her wasn't enough to ward her off Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

So the indo is deleting anti SF articles. Starting to realize they over cooked it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

sligojoek wrote: »

https://www.newstalk.com//listen-back

Todays date. Interview starts at 22 minute mark Joe

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

This bit.

Granted that was a statement of my opinion rather than fact. I just find it difficult to believe a person who was beaten and stabbed by a member of the provisional IRA could run for office for the political wing of the terrorist organisation that trained her assailant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Harris was overwrought in his language, but his central points were spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The Shinners must be gonna do well on Saturday. The Indo, RTE, NT are all wheeling out old stories and BS the last couple of days, So predictable, and now today a story about a foiled Dissident attack...... come on lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

The IRA is gone, the conflict is over. There isn't some man in a balaclava under your bed.

You're right, he won't be under your bed, he'll be running your country from smokey filled backrooms.

Because its an unchallengable assertion ?
    All know it to be true. Some are OK with that fact, so dont wish to discuss the topic. Others are repulsed by it, and see merit in highlighting this appaling characteristic. To the discomfort of the IRA/SF cohort.

I don’t care what anyone says but not every members and supporters of Sinn Féin are scum and terrorists.

I’ve never once in my life voted for SF but this overstepped the mark. Fine Gael have every right to be outraged over this too as Fianna Fáil were basically given 20min on a national broadcast of this goon announcing Martin was the only person the Irish electorate should vote for.

CFlat wrote: »
    You're right, he won't be under your bed, he'll be running your country from smokey filled backrooms.

And spending the weekends rustling cattle and washing diesel.

The PIRA , may have agreed to a ceasefire.
    The IRA haven't gone away.
    Look at the special criminal court in the years since 1998, busier then ever.
    In fact they had to open 2 special criminal courts to deal with the cases.

Harris was overwrought in his language, but his central points were spot on

That Micheal Martin was the only leader that the Irish public should even contemplate to vote for??

It was like propaganda from North Korea or Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Granted that was a statement of my opinion rather than fact. I just find it difficult to believe a person who was beaten and stabbed by a member of the provisional IRA could run for office for the political wing of the terrorist organisation that trained her assailant.

Just leave it. Enough victims have been used to score points this week.

• Advertisement

Says the poster who is happy to throw a few slurs around as well.

Nothing personal in that. Merely an observation of disbelief of how she could align herself with SF after being brutalised by a member of the provisional IRA.

The idea that the violence is over so everything is OK and we are nice guys doesnt cut it - "Fair enough, you didnt vote for me in the past when I was in a terrorist organisation actively murdering people, but look, I havent killed anyone today. So you can vote for me cant you ?".

bubblypop wrote: »
    The PIRA , may have agreed to a ceasefire.
    The IRA haven't gone away.
    Look at the special criminal court in the years since 1998, busier then ever.
    In fact they had to open 2 special criminal courts to deal with the cases.

Just remember it's not a coincidence that SF want rid of the SCC.

Just leave it. Enough victims have been used to score points this week.

It's a long list of victims, Maria Cahill, Garda Jerry McCabe, Pauline Tully, Jean McConville, Columba McVeigh......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

If the IRA is gone, how did SF Minister Conor Murphy say that he consulted them on the Paul Quinn incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It actually wouldn’t surprise me if Newstalk were approached by all parties including Sinn Féin and Fine Gael threatening legal action ... it was absolutely outrageous to all other political parties.

Nah it's definitely still up there as I just listened to a bit again.

Stark raving mad lunatic so he is.

https://www.newstalk.com/listen-back

Choose today's date, drive time and go about 22 mins in.

I don’t care what anyone says but not every members and supporters of Sinn Féin are scum and terrorists.

Indeed not. But they support the scum and murders, and stand as their public representatives. Which makes them pretty appalling people too.
    When there are oodle of options without this moral flaw its very easy to avoid them. There is no case justifying voting for SF unless you are hell bent on a 32 county republic whatever the cost, and condone murder, torture, and terrorism. If you do then vote for them. Maybe 24% of the country does. But I certainly wont condone them or concede they are doing the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

It's a long list of victims, Maria Cahill, Garda Jerry McCabe, Pauline Tully, Jean McConville, Columba McVeigh......

If you mention the victims of violent crimes enough I reckon people will forget about their crippling rents and hospital waiting lists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The idea that the violence is over so everything is OK and we are nice guys doesnt cut it - "Fair enough, you didnt vote for me in the past when I was in a terrorist organisation actively murdering people, but look, I havent killed anyone today. So you can vote for me cant you ?".

I find it amusing so many are willing to engage with someone with the initials T.R.O.L. without at least looking at the individuals posting history.
    Your posts are somewhat clever also somewhat ignorant of the past, but surely you could offer a genuine comment without resorting to mirroring your username.

• Advertisement

Fine Gael are responsible for more deaths in this country than SF the last 4 years. The children's hospital is an absolute disgrace. There was a nursing freeze for health care professionals in 2019. I've seen people die directly as a lack of nurses/physics/OTs that FG were responsible for due to overspending on the children's hospital.

Advertisement