Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are private secondary schools allowed to get away with this

Options
  • 06-02-2020 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Last year I paid a 50 euro registration to RHS private secondary school . When she was later offered a place , the school requested a further 500 euro to keep her place. During the summer I lost my job and contacted the school as I would no longer be able to afford the school fees. I asked if they might reimburse me some of the 500 euro but they said no out of the question. I explained our current circumstances but still no joy. Her place was offered to another child so there was no loss of place or money so why wont they refund my fee. what do they do with these fees? I know they are well funded so surely out of good will they can refund a large amount if a parent's financial circumstances changes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

sisters wrote: »
    Last year I paid a 50 euro registration to RHS private secondary school . When she was later offered a place , the school requested a further 500 euro to keep her place. During the summer I lost my job and contacted the school as I would no longer be able to afford the school fees. I asked if they might reimburse me some of the 500 euro but they said no out of the question. I explained our current circumstances but still no joy. Her place was offered to another child so there was no loss of place or money so why wont they refund my fee. what do they do with these fees? I know they are well funded so surely out of good will they can refund a large amount if a parent's financial circumstances changes.

A private fee paying school may charge what they like.

On the other hand a publicly funded school may not charge anything, but many will look for a voluntary contribution. Payment of this however should in no way impact on the offer a school place. The Department of Education are actually looking at completely banning voluntary contributions and enrolment deposits.
    If the school your talking about is a publicly funded school, then let them know you will be lodging a complainant with the Department.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sisters

A private fee paying school may charge what they like.

On the other hand a publicly funded school may not charge anything, but many will look for a voluntary contribution. Payment of this however should in no way impact on the offer a school place. The Department of Education are actually looking at completely banning voluntary contributions and enrolment deposits.
    If the school your talking about is a publicly funded school, then let them know you will be lodging a complainant with the Department.

This particular secondary school in Rathgar is fee paying. My daughter didn't attend it in the end as I couldn't manage the fees with my loss of earnings. I don't think its fair to keep €500 deposit though. Is it worth complaining to anyone about it? It is a Church of Ireland School

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

sisters wrote: »
    This particular secondary school in Rathgar is fee paying. My daughter didn't attend it in the end as I couldn't manage the fees with my loss of earnings. I don't think its fair to keep €500 deposit though. Is it worth complaining to anyone about it? It is a Church of Ireland School

Find out if their pastor is on the board and maybe contact them ?

listermint wrote: »
    Find out if their pastor is on the board and maybe contact them ?
    thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Did you look at the possibility of a Secondary Education Committee grant ? http://secgrant.ie/

• Advertisement

Did you look at the possibility of a Secondary Education Committee grant ? http://secgrant.ie/
    yes I did but worked out even with the grant it wouldn't be doable to send to private school.

Advertisement