Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying out a greenhouse

Options
  • 06-02-2020 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hello everyone.

I am getting my greenhouse delivered next week and home to get it built ASAP.

Do any have on tip on things I should do before I start?

I plan on putting in irrigation before I start planting.

Anthony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Exciting times :) What surface is it going on ? What you planning on growing? How big is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bobboberson

Exciting times :) What surface is it going on ? What you planning on growing? How big is it?

Thanks for coming back to me it's going on grass, I'm hoping to grow fruit and veg and it's 6x8

Anthony

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Magellanic

Hello everyone.

I am getting my greenhouse delivered next week and home to get it built ASAP.

Do any have on tip on things I should do before I start?

I plan on putting in irrigation before I start planting.

Anthony

Good timing bobboberson,

I also have one arriving (hopefully 3 weeks). Bit smaller at 6x4 so have option of grass or patio.

Ideally build a small block foundation. Timber will work but not last as long. You will need to fix it down to the ground somehow. Wind can cause them to move and crack the glass.
    Prepare the ground before you build it. If your going to plant directly into the ground (remove weeds and enrich soil) or make a floor ( gravel is good) it's much easier to do it before it goes up. Reduces the risk of putting the back of a spade through a window.
    Running power and water to it is always handy. But can be done at a later date .
    Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I do agree with a brick base as it highers up and less chance of putting head out through the lowest section of the roof.Vents roof and side are good.Power and water to hand is nice and electricity buy proper stuff meant for damp conditions with safety built in +power cutoff master switch.

• Advertisement

Would there be any benefit in putting it on Patio Slabs over grass/turf?

Magellanic wrote: »
    Would there be any benefit in putting it on Patio Slabs over grass/turf?

For a 6x4 greenhouse they should work. The 2ftx2ft slabs are very heavy.

Slabs can move over time which might be a worry later.Some makers of greenhouses also do bases.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Slabs can move over time which might be a worry later.Some makers of greenhouses also do bases.

I actually have the option of putting the greenhouse on an existing patio or on the lawn. Assuming this would allow me plant direct into the soil, I think this might be the better choice.

You might get a few years out of the soil then it might need to be replaced as they do in crop rotation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Reynolds2

Any recommendations on where to get a good/cheap greenhouse?

Reynolds2 wrote: »

Bought one last year and lenihans seemed to be the best.
    It was delivered by A1 Greenhouses.

What type are you going for ?

Just built my 6x4ft last week. Got it in Lenehans also (Vitavia).

Went with placing it on the pre-existing patio slabs and it seems pretty secure.

Installed an auto-window opener which seems to work well in recent hot weather.

Looking forward to tomatoes & peppers in a few months now .

Might need shading from a very bright sun as temp inside could easily hit 100 later on as i got that in a 12 x 10 4 roof vents and 4 louvre and double doors open.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sheedy234

Reynolds2 wrote: »

KSB greenhouse, great to deal with super strong have it a year now and we live in windy spot.

Advertisement