Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Average salary at €47,000

124»

Comments

KaneToad wrote: »
    We all want the higher rate of tax to kick in at a sensible level of earnings. That level is usually €1 more than we earn...

I don’t think there should be a higher rate at all.
    mariaalice wrote: »
    It should be rebalanced towards property and asset tax.

No it shouldn’t, just another way to punish people. Totally against it. Also having property or assets does not mean you can afford to pay tax in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

No it shouldn’t, just another way to punish people. Totally against it. Also having property or assets does not mean you can afford to pay tax in them.

No but its a choice that is way property tax based on a matrix of property size and location is a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Nox,
    You seem to be against a lot of things.
    Income tax, Property Tax, Asset Tax, Inheritence Tax, CGT, CAT. (Please correct me if I am incorrect)

How do you propose the state functions without these income streams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Sure, just become self employed and declare the bare minimum to the tax man while doing cash in hand jobs.
    Very low level of tax paid then....,,,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Zebra3 wrote: »
    And they pay disproportionately higher indirect taxes.

It's amazing how ignorant people are that they think direct taxation is the be all and end all of taxation.

Not when you put it in context. 2016:
    Compare Ireland and Germany: Income tax rates sample salary of €30,000 in both countries. Germany comes out with €16,486 after tax, whereas the same salary in Ireland comes out with €25,157

You get better services for your tax in Germany but Sinn Fein are looking to reduce further the amount of tax paid under 30k. This is narrowing the tax base and creating a wider disproportion between tax contributors.

Lower income earners get the same garda response, the same primary schools, same council services as higher income earners. Yet underpay for those services.

And you seem to forget about how indirect taxation works also. Someone on a low income who buys a second hand car for 10k is not contributing anything like the VRT on a 50k new car bought by a high income earner.

It's not about the proportion of tax you pay in relation to your income. It's about the proportion of tax you pay to run the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Timistry

Geuze wrote: »
    Note that this thread suggests average FT salary is 47k.

To be clear, it's average FT earnings that are 47k, not salary.

You could be on a basic of 42k, then you get overtime, bonus, etc.

Earnings included overtime and bonus, etc.

Lads is work today were having a chat in the office. Its all been cut back now, but lads were making the price of a car in overtime alone :eek: This is only a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/elcq/earningsandlabourcostsq32019finalq42019preliminaryestimates/

2017 Q3 earnings data published yesterday

Mean earnings, not median

770 pw is the average

23.53 per hour

Note that these figures include irregular earnings

We are close to 40k average earnings.

2019 Annual Earnings data published today

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/elca/earningsandlabourcostsannualdata2019/

Average earnings have now passed 40k, up 3.6%.

For FT workers, it's 49k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The above chart shows that if Ireland could gets it cost of living under control that it would be close to the top of European table.
    The government should pay more attention to this. Brexit won't help, but there may be other Aldi and Lidl type organisations that do not operate here that could provide us with German prices, we already have German wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Brexit won't help, but there may be other Aldi and Lidl type organisations that do not operate here that could provide us with German prices, we already have German wages.
    Aldi and Lidl are quite common in Dublin these days.

Trouble is that any sort of professional career in Dublin automatically falls into the 52% tax band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

And as stated earlier in the thread, what we get for our taxes in terms of services is shocking - health particularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭PopZiggy

Irish income tax is a disincentive to earn more or undertake extra hours as a PAYE worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

And as stated earlier in the thread, what we get for our taxes in terms of services is shocking - health particularly.

Yes you are correct.

For me, health insurance is the most important thing i buy. (Not cheap btw)

I would be lost without it.
    The poor people waiting these long waiting times for an operation for example is just a complete joke. Pure and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

tom1ie wrote: »
    Sure, just become self employed and declare the bare minimum to the tax man while doing cash in hand jobs.
    Very low level of tax paid then....,,,,,

Hey keep that to yourself ;)

At this point id be happy if they got rid of USC, Im not sure why we get charged it still with no added value to your living.
    I would pay it happily if it covered my health insurance or hospitals, like NHS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Isn't it fair to increase the higher tax bracket above this?

Do you mean move the band above 47k?

Or add another even higher rate above 47k?

PopZiggy wrote: »
    Irish income tax is a disincentive to earn more or undertake extra hours as a PAYE worker.

100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Those who choose not to work need you to pay for everything thing for them.

Pay more taxes you evil rich people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

PopZiggy wrote: »

Oh no, please don't give me a €10k raise because I'll only increase my take home pay by €4,800!

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »
    Oh no, please don't give me a €10k raise because I'll only increase my take home pay by €4,800!

you probably think you made a good point there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I've found over the years that for a 'substantial' raise, 5K or more we'll say, the rewards for it is very disproportionate for the amount of extra work required. You'll find yourself working more, or being more stressed about your job, and by the time the taxes are sorted, your additional take home money is poor compensation.

I'll edit to add, I also find that when tax bands and that vary in the budget, it's such a non-story it's laughable. Oh great, we're an extra €3.40 a week better off. I'd personally rather they didn't bother, and that they ringfenced it for something which may be useful to some project for public good. Currently 194,000 on live register, raising that by a fiver a week costs €970,000 extra a week to the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭CarProblem

McGaggs wrote: »

You do realise that in that case you probably (definitely?) end up assuming more responsibility/working longer hours etc

What people are doing is not bothering going for promotions etc as the net impact on their pay simply isn't worth it (I personally know several people who haven't gone for promotions in their current companies or haven't applied for roles they'd easily get in other companies as a result)

I was temporarily given a more senior role for 18 months (coming to an end now), the extra (net) income simply wasn't worth it for me on reflection

HR/Recruitment surveys are showing that workers now value holidays/flexibility etc far more these days, crazy marginal rates are a major factor here IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I agree that we enter the higher tax bracket at way too low a figure, and what we get in exchange is laughable. I feel like I'm being penalised for spending thousands on my education and years studying.

But, I'd rather be on more than 34k and be able to complain about it than not be complaining about it because my wages are really low. At the end of the day, it's still more money to take home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

lawred2 wrote: »

I had assumed the post I quoted was by someone who thought that moving to a higher tax band would leave them worse off than if they'd never received a raise (there are so many of these people out there). It seems I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

lawred2 wrote: »

He did - why do you think he didn't?

Fritzbox wrote: »
    He did - why do you think he didn't?

Unless you get a large increase in pay essentially for nothing (no extra hours, responsibilities etc - I can think of zero people I know who have achieved this) he made a nonsensical point

I always find the people most in favour of even higher rates of tax for higher earners are not higher earners themselves - i.e. tax everyone who isn't me

e.g. I remember a survey published where respondents were asked should there be another (even higher) rate of tax on incomes over 100k, the typical person was essentially being asked "do you think the government should make people who aren't you pay more income tax?". Needless to say an overwhelming percentage of people surveyed were in favour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Its shocking that the people who keep the economy running are taxed so unfairly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Stan27 wrote: »
    For me, health insurance is the most important thing i buy. (Not cheap btw)
    With HSE accounting for about 25% of government spending, next question is why heath insurance is even necessary..

At this point id be happy if they got rid of USC, Im not sure why we get charged it still with no added value to your living.
    USC more or less plugged the budget gap caused by the complete collapse of stamp duty revenue.

Advertisement