Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can my housemate ask me to move out of our 2 bed apartment? He's there longer than me

Options
  • 07-02-2020 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

The apartment is owned by a property agency. He moved in with another guy "Simon" about a year ago. Simon's name is on the lease but he lost his job 6 months ago so he moved him and I moved in. None of us knew eachother before this.

When I moved in I didn't sign anything and there was no agreement on how long I'd stay for. Roommate is foreign and was due to move back home in March with the verbal agreement that bills would be transferred to my name. His job has extended his contract and now he wants me out so his brother can move in.

Does he have the power to force me out or can I just refuse? I'm going to see the property agency later to find out the current status of the lease as housemate is being secretive.

Apartment is perfect for me in every way so I'm not keen on moving

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

He can't force you out but would you really want to continue to live with him under those circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Technically you are subletting so the answer would be yes. Talk to the landlord all the same. Seems a bit strange he wants you to move out while he knows he is leaving soon enough. The landlord would likely side with you as you plan to stay, unless he is planning to sell up soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Technically you are subletting so the answer would be yes. Talk to the landlord all the same. Seems a bit strange he wants you to move out while he knows he is leaving soon enough. The landlord would likely side with you as you plan to stay, unless he is planning to sell up soon

As I read it the person whose name was on the lease has moved on. Effectively I suspect that the OP and the other room-mate are both subletting from the departed tenant.

OP ofc he can ask. But I can't see him being able to force. Suggest you speak to your actual landlord about signing a lease. I assume landlord is aware of the situation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Who’s name is on the lease?
    Who is the tenant and who is the licencee?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Who do you pay, who did you give deposit too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Check this with the RTB but I think if you pay the LL or agent the rent then that makes you their tenant so no he can't if you pay your flat mate that makes you his licensee and he can ask you to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wherearewe45

Landlord doesn't know the situation as it's between us. So I found out the property is rented through a letting agency and both of our names are actually on the lease. I pay rent to him and he forwards it on to landlord/letting agency,not sure how that works

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Landlord doesn't know the situation as it's between us. So I found out the property is rented through a letting agency and both of our names are actually on the lease. I pay rent to him and he forwards it on to landlord/letting agency,not sure how that works

If both your names are on the tenancy lease, then you are a tenant rather than subletting off your flat mate. In that case, you are entitled to full tenancy rights.

If both your names are on the tenancy lease, then you are a tenant rather than subletting off your flat mate. In that case, you are entitled to full tenancy rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Landlord doesn't know the situation as it's between us.
    I pay rent to him and he forwards it on to landlord/letting agency,not sure how that works
    All of the above sounds like subletting.
    So I found out the property is rented through a letting agency
    This makes it sound like you found this out after signing the "lease". I suspect whatever you signed is worthless, and your housemate & Simon are the only names on the lease.

=-=

When you signed the lease, was it in the letting agencies offices? Or did a letting agent come out to you?

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    All of the above sounds like subletting.

This makes it sound like you found this out after signing the "lease". I suspect whatever you signed is worthless, and your housemate & Simon are the only names on the lease.

=-=

When you signed the lease, was it in the letting agencies offices? Or did a letting agent come out to you?

If the letting agent has confirmed that the op is on the lease, that confirms that he/she is a tenant, irrespective of how rent is paid.

Brego888 wrote: »
    He can't force you out but would you really want to continue to live with him under those circumstances.

These are awful replies, does nobody fight for anything any more?

OP, go and get some professional advice because all you’ll get here is one person telling you definitively Yes like they know everything, and the next person telling you definitively No like they know everything, when none of them really know a thing.

These are awful replies, does nobody fight for anything any more?

OP, go and get some professional advice because all you’ll get here is one person telling you definitively Yes like they know everything, and the next person telling you definitively No like they know everything, when none of them really know a thing.

To be fair, this is more than just a question of legal standing, sharing a house with someone you know does not want you there, in fact wants you out, must not be a comfortable situation to be in. You don’t have to know everything, you just have to know what is important, like the LL/Letting agent confirming your tenancy rather than a sub let.

Found out from the letting agency that my name is on the lease. Had to see them for something else unrelated. Guessing my roommate put it there after Simon moved out.

I almost never see the roommate, he never leaves his room unless he's not in the apartment, and he has his own ensuite. I live in a 2 bed apartment but effectively I live here alone with someone who pays half the rent, he's the ideal housemate really. If I refuse to move out there won't be much awkwardness cos I never see him. More than 90% of our conversations have been on whatsapp. He was due to move out in March, then June, it's now December. Awkwardness wouldn't bother me, I'd buy this apartment if I could

Dav010 wrote: »
    If the letting agent has confirmed that the op is on the lease, that confirms that he/she is a tenant, irrespective of how rent is paid.
    I hadn't seen where he said he had met the agent prior to that post.
    Found out from the letting agency that my name is on the lease. Had to see them for something else unrelated. Guessing my roommate put it there after Simon moved out.
    That's great to hear.
    More than 90% of our conversations have been on whatsapp.
    That's bizarre! However, keep an eye on his food. If it suddenly doubles, he may have moved his bro in on the sly.

That's bizarre! However, keep an eye on his food. If it suddenly doubles, he may have moved his bro in on the sly.[/quote]

Double zero is still zero, he is literally in his bedroom or not in the apartment. He has nothing in the shelves or fridge.

Typing out this thread has convinced me to dig my heels in and not move out. Apartment is more valuable to me than it is to him.

Double zero is still zero, he is literally in his bedroom or not in the apartment. He has nothing in the shelves or fridge.
    Odd. When you don't think he's at home, switch off all electrical appliances that you have access to, and check the meter. If it's still moving, I'd say he has a fridge in his room.

I'm actually thinking his "brother moving in" is him mixing up landlord/tenant rights regarding booting you out if family is moving in.

Ask the letting agent if you can pay your rent direct, to ensure there are no complications when he cops that you don't intend on moving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GBB

So, you are a co-tenant and have all the rights under the RTA, if you are there more than 6 months, you also avail of the Part 4 preferential rights of your co-tenant's tenancy. i.e if he is there over 8 years and you are there 2 years any NOT must give you 224 days notice if issued from your landlord

Advertisement