Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tycor Business Centre , what was it originally?

Options
  • 07-02-2020 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭

As per the title, I'm wondering what was the original purpose of what is now the Tycor Business centre? Although it is now a whole collection of businesses there, it has a look about it that it was all one big factory or industry at one time in the past. What happened here and what was the cause and course of it's conversion into the current business park?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

The Jute factory was up there, don't know when it closed, but I can't remember it running, could have been the 70's, but I am not much help to you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Iveee

As per the title, I'm wondering what was the original purpose of what is now the Tycor Business centre? Although it is now a whole collection of businesses there, it has a look about it that it was all one big factory or industry at one time in the past. What happened here and what was the cause and course of it's conversion into the current business park?

Acec Engineering i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Iveee wrote: »
    Acec Engineering i think

ACEC were up behind the Roanmore Centre.

The jute factory is the correct answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Iveee

gscully wrote: »
    ACEC were up behind the Roanmore Centre.

The jute factory is the correct answer.

Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Correct it was rolls of jute that was produced there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ACEC had a registration address for Tycor

Tycor House
    Waterford
    Waterford.
    Waterford, Co. Waterford.

Here it is on fire in 1983. Note the state of the Tramore road.

https://www.facebook.com/waterfordcityfireservice/photos/once-in-a-while-a-photo-you-havent-seen-before-shows-up-out-of-the-blue-this-is-/10152282330244742/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The Jute factory was up there, don't know when it closed, but I can't remember it running, could have been the 70's, but I am not much help to you on that.

1937 to 1974, 500 jobs lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

vriesmays wrote: »
    1937 to 1974, 500 jobs lost.

Carpet factory up there in the late 70's.

Youghal.

Advertisement