Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWF Point Depot, Dublin June 1995

Options
  • 07-02-2020 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you were or any siblings were at this show in 1995. It was the first ever wrestling show I attended. I'm looking to find out from anyone who was there can they remember what merch they had on sale??

Or if anyone who was there still has any of the merch from it.
    I got a Bret Hart foam finger at it that I still have but I was wondering if anyone has any other stuff from it or remembers what they sold?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I was at it not sure If I still have any merch from it I would have to dig out a few boxes from the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I was at it too pretty sure i got bret hart glasses that im sure are long since gone and i always remember the guy beside won a t-shirt somehow and gave it to me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Great show. Wasn't sold out tho oddly enough.
    Bret's glasses were sold and Razor's "razor" dog tags were too.

The night ended with Howard Finkel saying "... And don't forget Dublin we'll be back next year"

You lied to me fink!!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Legion of Doom shoulder pads too.

ciano316 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you were or any siblings were at this show in 1995. It was the first ever wrestling show I attended. I'm looking to find out from anyone who was there can they remember what merch they had on sale??

I got a Bret Hart foam finger at it that I still have but I was wondering if anyone has any other stuff from it or remembers what they sold?

Cheers.

I was there, in my fúcking element. I think it was the absolute legend Hakushi who Bret Hart was in action against that night. I got some merch, a foam finger and two tshirts...but they are long gone now.

These were the shirts...

7njRd56.jpg?1

Lm08gBs.jpg?1

No doubt I was swimming in female attention back in 1995 wearing those bad boys :D

I'm pretty sure I still have my photobook from the event. Good god I can imagine what the picture quality is like...red eye in every shot. I will have a search in the home house next time I'm visiting, and if I find it I'll report back here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wezzopalooza

I remember it well, was my first live show, was so excited. Some random thoughts and memories:

The card was-
    Jean Pierre Lafitte v Duke the dumpster Droese
    Headshrinkers v Men on a Mission
    Bertha Faye v Alundra Blaze
    Adam Bomb v King Kong Bundy
    Smoking Gunns v The Blu Brothers
    Shawn Michaels v IRS
    Undertaker v Kama
    Bret Hart v Hakushi

Got the Bret Hart foam finger and Bret glasses. We also got the cheap scarves from some of the lads selling outside :D:D:D:D

The merch stands were busy indeed, thinking back they might have made just as much on that than the ticket sales. Apart from the merch already mentioned on thread they were also selling Undertaker foam urns, Shawn Michaels Hat and Heart shaped glasses, and the usual stuff like programs and t-shirts.

Had the Ticketmaster stub for years, decent floor seats were £16.50 then :D

The ring was loud as hell.

Almost sure the ring announcer was Tony Chimel, not Howard Finkel.

Referee duties were split between Earl Hebner and Danny Davis!

King Kong Bundy doing the heel thing by saying something like "I found out I've got some Irish blood in me.....so I went for a transfusion!"

Bret Hart doing the face thing by draping himself in the tricolor at the end of the night.

Shawn Michaels pulling his tights down to the pubes after a girl shouted something lewd at him :eek::eek::eek:

Shawn was also on the cover of the RTE Guide at this time, strangling Dustin the Turkey!! :D:D:D

The crowd was really into it and very loud, best pops were for Bret, HBK and Taker. Turned out to be their last show here until 2004, never understood why they always left Ireland out during Attitude era tours, they would have easily sold out many nights here. I vaguely remember some show in the national stadium around 2000 that had guys impersonating WWF stars of that time, anyone remember this?? Ads were in the Herald for it.

This show inadvertently wised me up about wrestling, as HBK and IRS had pretty much the exact same match on TV a week or 2 later :o:o:o

The memory banks opened wide for this one, it was a childhood highlight for sure.

Yeah those tribute shows were horrible :pac:
    They were run by Orig Williams ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orig_Williams )

Don't know how he got away with them. But then again it was at the same time that t-shirt shops were selling unlicensed WWF shirts in Ireland and the UK. Go figure.

They had some awlfella playing "the rock" he was Scottish or Welsh and had a terrible eyebrow painted on his face haha.

Interesting fact is that Lee Butler wrestled as Mankind. He would go on to be trainer in IWW. Sadly Lee died a couple of years ago. Was a young chap.

Nigel McGuinness talked about wrestling on WWE tribute shows with Kevin Steen on a shoot a couple of years ago. Would most likely have been Orig Williams shows but I can't confirm. He wrestled as Kane and said he hated it. Detested it. But tribute shows were a great way to cut your teeth in wrestling as they ran so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I remember going to one in Tallaght, it was a "bret hart" show about 18-20 years ago id say

I remember Gangrel and the hardy's being at it but they could have been fake as above!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

I was at this show.

Bret glasses were sold out so I got Shawn ones which were the ****s.

Takers entrance scared me.

Vividly remember being struck with Shawn spitting every time IRS hit him. You'd just see saliva fly. Shawn was incredible.

Bret was brilliant on the night too.

There were no managers (Bearer, Shinja, Dibiase) etc which even at 11 I worked out was probably a money saving thing.

Always remember the Michaels vs IRS match.
    At the start Hebner is patting Shawn down in the corner and as soon as Hebner turns his back to walk away Shawn does the "come on" motion with his hand to the crowd and the crowd cheer. Que Heber turn back around wagging his finger at Shawn "not to do that"

Gas little spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

I was there, in my fúcking element. I think it was the absolute legend Hakushi who Bret Hart was in action against that night. I got some merch, a foam finger and two tshirts...but they are long gone now.

These were the shirts...

7njRd56.jpg?1

Lm08gBs.jpg?1

No doubt I was swimming in female attention back in 1995 wearing those bad boys :D

I'm pretty sure I still have my photobook from the event. Good god I can imagine what the picture quality is like...red eye in every shot. I will have a search in the home house next time I'm visiting, and if I find it I'll report back here.

Hahaha class. That Bret shirt is great.
    I have some photos as well from the events.

I still collect a lot of wrestling merch so I was trying to find if they sold anything that was exclusive to that tour. Want to get a program from it and some other stuff for sentimental value.

Some pics I took at the show

tpITXONl.jpg
    ejIMmMil.jpg
    Z5iaNE2l.jpg
    h2ia31Yl.jpg
    L9217qQl.jpg
    xwO3G5Wl.png

Class pics ciano.
    Brings me back. 25 years ago in June.
    Where is the time going?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Jaysus I was at this to. Great memories. I was only a kid. It was a bit surreal seeing them live up close.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Is that two bezerkers? Wasn't at that show but think I was at the one before that maybe in 93. Can't remember much though

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Is that two bezerkers? Wasn't at that show but think I was at the one before that maybe in 93. Can't remember much though

It's Jacob and Eli Blu aka The Blu Brothers.

The Harris brothers and were the twin bikers in the Disciples of Apocalypse if you remember that faction in the 90s.

They had small runs in most of the major promotions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

It's Jacob and Eli Blu aka The Blu Brothers.

The Harris brothers and were the twin bikers in the Disciples of Apocalypse if you remember that faction in the 90s.

They had small runs in most of the major promotions.

Skull and 8 ball in DOA wasn't it? And there was another lad called chain or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Turned out to be their last show here until 2004, never understood why they always left Ireland out during Attitude era tours, they would have easily sold out many nights here.
    A guy on r/squaredcircle is doing summaries of Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer Newsletter. So far, he's covered about 12 years worth of WON from 1991 to 2002 and I have read about 5 years worth thus far. Dave Meltzer mentions they only tour the world when the wrestling business is in decline in North America, which is why they started touring Europe in the early '90s.

The last house show tour of the Attitude Era in Europe was in Germany in 1998. In 1997, the started doing UK-only PPVs, which were just glorified house shows as the heavyweight title never changed hands at these events.

So now you know why they started touring again after the Attitude Era.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

I was there, got an old school foam belt and a bret hart tshirt. What a night!

Hello all,

Cheers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

I remember it well, was my first live show, was so excited. Some random thoughts and memories:

The card was-
    Shawn Michaels v IRS
    Undertaker v Kama
    Bret Hart v Hakushi

Got the Bret Hart foam finger and Bret glasses. We also got the cheap scarves from some of the lads selling outside :D:D:D:D

The merch stands were busy indeed, thinking back they might have made just as much on that than the ticket sales. Apart from the merch already mentioned on thread they were also selling Undertaker foam urns, Shawn Michaels Hat and Heart shaped glasses, and the usual stuff like programs and t-shirts.

Had the Ticketmaster stub for years, decent floor seats were £16.50 then :D

The ring was loud as hell.

Almost sure the ring announcer was Tony Chimel, not Howard Finkel.

Referee duties were split between Earl Hebner and Danny Davis!

King Kong Bundy doing the heel thing by saying something like "I found out I've got some Irish blood in me.....so I went for a transfusion!"

Bret Hart doing the face thing by draping himself in the tricolor at the end of the night.

Shawn Michaels pulling his tights down to the pubes after a girl shouted something lewd at him :eek::eek::eek:

Shawn was also on the cover of the RTE Guide at this time, strangling Dustin the Turkey!! :D:D:D

The crowd was really into it and very loud, best pops were for Bret, HBK and Taker. Turned out to be their last show here until 2004, never understood why they always left Ireland out during Attitude era tours, they would have easily sold out many nights here. I vaguely remember some show in the national stadium around 2000 that had guys impersonating WWF stars of that time, anyone remember this?? Ads were in the Herald for it.

This show inadvertently wised me up about wrestling, as HBK and IRS had pretty much the exact same match on TV a week or 2 later :o:o:o

The memory banks opened wide for this one, it was a childhood highlight for sure.

Was at one myself, thought it was this one as I was only young maybe it wasn’t because I’m pretty sure Papa Shango was wrestling at the one I was at.

• Advertisement

I've a memory of a wwf event before that and all I can remember is that macho man was on the card. Early 90s sometime in the point

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sadly never went to any the 90s/early 2000s shows, Killer lineups for the 2004 ones

2009 Undertaker RIP tour was my first

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Shawn Michaels v IRS
    Undertaker v Kama
    Bret Hart v Hakushi

Holy God that undercard! ha ha!

Never got to go to these Irish shows, first WWE event was in Newcastle. Shawn, Taker, Bret though, awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

eh i dunno wrote: »
    I've a memory of a wwf event before that and all I can remember is that macho man was on the card. Early 90s sometime in the point

pretty sure they performed at kings hall in belfast in 1992, so maybe the same year?

montyrebel wrote: »
    pretty sure they performed at kings hall in belfast in 1992, so maybe the same year?

Sounds about right. I was only about ten so can't remember much

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I remember being at an event where Stephanie came out and said that they had discovered that they were delighted to find out they were from Clare and she expected a huge pop only to be boo'd out of the place, thought it was late 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Clareman wrote: »
    I remember being at an event where Stephanie came out and said that they had discovered that they were delighted to find out they were from Clare and she expected a huge pop only to be boo'd out of the place, thought it was late 90s.

Stephanie didn't debut on WWE TV until April 1999 and turned heel in December. It would have been 2004 or 2005 before they were here again as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Clareman wrote: »

It was 2004. A Raw house show Headlined By Benoit Kane. Steph came out at the start to welcome everyone and how excited she was about finally being back in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hogan and The Rock never wrestled in Ireland afaik

Brock was on a Belfast card but never a Dublin one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Loughc wrote: »
    It was 2004. A Raw house show Headlined By Benoit Kane. Steph came out at the start to welcome everyone and how excited she was about finally being back in Ireland.

I was at the 2nd night of the raw tour in 04 and it was one of the best shows i went to.

Advertisement