Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New builds downstairs

Options
  • 07-02-2020 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

In the market as a FTB and currently looking at new builds around the area. While the new open plan layout is nice what is putting me off is that they are still relatively small. There is really only two rooms downstairs. What do people do if they need an office to work from home or a playroom for kids or indeed for when they are older. Realistically the openplan room would turn into a mess of I used it for either of the above options. What are people's thoughts?

Is there a specific reason developers are building like this or is it simply a case of getting as many built in the development as possible? Looking at second hand stock doesn't give much hope either. They are largely in terrible condition with a high piece tag.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

They buy a bigger house which means either spending more or compromising on area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

They buy a bigger house which means either spending more or compromising on area.

Yes I understand that but my point is that in most of the new builds I have been to there has been very few 'bigger houses' on the development. For example one I saw is building 74 homes and only 1 had a small office room. The bigger more expensive houses of the developments were just bigger versions of the cheaper ones. Same layout more or less but bigger dimensions. Why can't developers build houses like they were 10-15 years ago except just make the kitchen and dining room open plan instead of separate like they used to be and include an extra room for whatever you want it to be. I just feel FTB are paying being asked for crazy money for less and less space.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Yes I understand that but my point is that in most of the new builds I have been to there has been very few 'bigger houses' on the development. For example one I saw is building 74 homes and only 1 had a small office room. The bigger more expensive houses of the developments were just bigger versions of the cheaper ones. Same layout more or less but bigger dimensions. Why can't developers build houses like they were 10-15 years ago except just make the kitchen and dining room open plan instead of separate like they used to be and include an extra room for whatever you want it to be. I just feel FTB are paying being asked for crazy money for less and less space.

Presumably because houses of 10-15 years ago had a larger foot print. I'm only continuing to the Captain Obvious here by saying they're looking to cram as many units in as possible (as you already said), especially given it more expensive to build houses now than 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In the market as a FTB and currently looking at new builds around the area.
    The less of a commute, the higher the land price. This causes the developer to try to squeeze as much houses into the land as possible.

Thus, less commute means less space.

A house in Dunshaughlin will probably get you the space you want, but it'll mean a commute to the M3 Parkway and a train into the Connolly (or Broombridge if you intend to get the LUAS).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

the_syco wrote: »
    The less of a commute, the higher the land price. This causes the developer to try to squeeze as much houses into the land as possible.

Don't local authorities often dictate minimum housing densities?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Most people don't want a small office room downstairs, they'd rather have a bigger kitchen and bigger living room. People who want offices would rather just use up a bedroom.

If there was demand to divide downstairs into more rooms developers would do it.

Playrooms are truly fantasy stuff. If you want a playroom you'll need to build your own gaff.

Graham wrote: »
    Don't local authorities often dictate minimum housing densities?
    I believe they decide on medium or low density, but some developers seem to really squeeze as much into a space as possible now.

For example, the new housing estate in Leixlip is medium to low density. The gardens seem to be on the small side, but they're not bad.

I think Clongriffin may be high density, with the houses looking more squished.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Buy an old house , with a front room, kitchen, and another room downstair,s or just use a bedroom as an office.
    Planning dept,s rules mean rooms at to be at least a certain size.
    the closer to dublin, the more expensive land is .
    older house,s tend to have high ceilings, and come in a range of size,s .

new house,s tend to just follow a basic style and layout ,
    it saves money on building costs.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/?s%5Bmxp%5D=275000

Just go to daft.ie ,search x euro,s price of a new house dublin
    eg dublin 260k house for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

awec wrote: »
    Playrooms are truly fantasy stuff. If you want a playroom you'll need to build your own gaff.

Not true. Plenty of new builds out there with a 'family room' separate to the living room which would be ideal for kids' playroom.

@OP With clever design you could pull off a small workspace in a living room or even a hallway. At least if you don't need tonnes of storage adjacent.
    1540416124_307_25-Ways-To-Pull-Off-An-Office-Nook-In-A-Living-Room.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

the_syco wrote: »
    I believe they decide on medium or low density, but some landlords seem to really squeeze as much into a space as possible now.

For example, the new housing estate in Leixlip is medium to low density. The gardens seem to be on the small side, but they're not bad.

I think Clongriffin may be high density, with the houses looking more squished.

How do landlords figure into this?

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    How do landlords figure into this?
    Oops. Meant developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

All attics should be usable rooms in new builds. And there should also be a decent shed/outbuilding with electricity on board.

Sorted. That’ll be €100k more thanks!

All attics should be usable rooms in new builds. And there should also be a decent shed/outbuilding with electricity on board.
    The attic, yes, am seeing 4 beds being pretty much 3 beds with an already converted attic, and a small bit of an attic at the top, perhaps for the water tank. The shed won't fit, as I'd say a lot of the gardens are already at minimum square footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Had a look in Millerstown earlier. There was only one house with extra space downstairs. It was priced at 475k. Tiny garden was completely in the shade even though sun was out and there was a flooded field very close to the house which looked worrying. Prices are madness although I can see why they are achieved with current rent prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Sorted. That’ll be €100k more thanks!

Pretty much not an option with how new builds are made. Most roofs are prefabbed off site then fitted together. The space is smaller than many earlier builds but small attics were common enough in the past most noticeably in council housing.
    To convert the attics of modern builds is more expensive due to construction methods. The attics may also not have the clearance for a livable room. Then there is the issue of access. A third story requires a fire door and fire resistant stairwell. More expense and loss of space on the 2nd floor.
    So it is really not that simple and developers will pass on any costs with their margin.

As for having office/play room in a build as standard it is simple it is a luxury. Build an extension if you want it or pay more to have it.

Most houses that have such extra rooms are a result of extensions not initial design. My office is the old kitchen as the previous owners built an extension. Funny that newer builds have much less space sell for more and only separated by a back wall. Smaller gardens and no garage. People pay an extra 50k for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Builders have to buy a large site to build house,s . land is very expensive.
    a new house will be built to a high standard ,re insulation etc than a house built 20 years ago.
    building regs and standards change over time .
    Say you have 300k, to spend, go to myhome.ie, and daft.ie ,
    search house for sale 300k dublin
    Prices vary depending on area , a 1 bed house in rathmines is more expensive than a 3 bed house in coolock.
    see all the sites in dublin1, only office,s ,hotel,s or apartments are being built .
    it would not make financial sense to build house,s near the city centre
    if you pay millions to buy a site .
    my friend bought a house with a garage in 2009.
    he converted it into an extra bedroom.
    He put in new windows at the back and front .
    it cost about 4k but he did all the work.
    he matched the colour of the bricks at the front wall ,so it looks like it was always there .
    theres plenty of older house,s for sale with a garage or an extra room downstairs.

Advertisement