Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundary trees advice?

Options
  • 07-02-2020 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Recently purchased a secondhand house in a very exposed location. There is a stock proof boundary fence to the back and one side of the site. The fence does not belong to us. We are looking to plant some small trees to conceal the stock proof fence and reduce the wind impact from the Atlantic Ocean. Also to protect our kids from the barbed wire. Length would be about 25m.

What would relatively easy to maintain, resilient and attractive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Beech is lovely, fast growing, dense, holds leaves most winters, turns a lovely copper colour, good for wildlife and cheap if you buy it bare root now before the season ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭taxusbaccata

Recently purchased a secondhand house in a very exposed location. There is a stock proof boundary fence to the back and one side of the site. The fence does not belong to us. We are looking to plant some small trees to conceal the stock proof fence and reduce the wind impact from the Atlantic Ocean. Also to protect our kids from the barbed wire. Length would be about 25m.

Small trees for hedging always points towards Hawthorn and or Blackthorn. Native, hardy, stockproof and great for wildlife. A double staggered row is even better. Cheaper than non native Beech. If you want a taller hedging tree go for Alder - again native, deep rooting for storms, rapid growing, loves wet land (reduces water logging) and adds nitrogen to the soil.

Cheaper than non native Beech. If you want a taller hedging tree go for Alder - again native, deep rooting for storms, rapid growing, loves wet land (reduces water logging) and adds nitrogen to the soil.

I never knew beech was non native....... I was told it was and supported wildlife which is why I used it...........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭con747

You can see what they all look like here https://hedging.ie and the growth rate. They deliver free as well. Be careful of what you choose if you want a hedge that does not grow to tall, most will need constant pruning each year to curtail the height or you could end up with a 15 or 20 metre tall monster!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    You can see what they all look like here https://hedging.ie and the growth rate. They deliver free as well. Be careful of what you choose if you want a hedge that does not grow to tall, most will need constant pruning each year to curtail the height or you could end up with a 15 or 20 metre tall monster!

I think every hedge needs some pruning or maintenance unless you’re like me and like to set the wild free

• Advertisement

I think every hedge needs some pruning or maintenance unless you’re like me and like to set the wild free

I agree, but other aspects need to be took into account. Overhead wires, neighbours, ability to prune when above a certain height and so on. I know, I have to go at 300ft of laurels on one side and 600ft of leylandii on the rest of the boundaries that are all 15ft tall with the hedge trimmer.

con747 wrote: »
    I agree, but other aspects need to be took into account. Overhead wires, neighbours, ability to prune when above a certain height and so on. I know, I have to go at 300ft of laurels on one side and 600ft of leylandii on the rest of the boundaries that are all 15ft tall with the hedge trimmer.

YES, I have set the wild ‘free’ in my choice of hedging but yes consideration for neighbors and wires etc is responsible thinking which I take into account when I do my selective pruning.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Small trees for hedging always points towards Hawthorn and or Blackthorn. Native, hardy, stockproof and great for wildlife. A double staggered row is even better. Cheaper than non native Beech. If you want a taller hedging tree go for Alder - again native, deep rooting for storms, rapid growing, loves wet land (reduces water logging) and adds nitrogen to the soil.

Anything with thorns is a bitch to maintain and far worse than the barbwire theop is trying to hide imo.

What I have is hawthorn, buckthorn, beech, holly, hazel and dog rose. I can’t remember the rest. Do not plant dog rose, great for wild roses, beautiful hips, excellent for wildlife but its an insane spreader. It’s smothered out a lot of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

I remember that my parents had a hedge that was used for privacy purposes. Glossy leaves and we had to trim it each year. Lasted 15-20 years then the whole hedge died in the space of a few months. I would be looking to maintain it at about 5ft high, something that doesn't have really strong roots to the point that it could lift krebs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Sonofj

Hi,

If it’s an exposed area and you need some cover how about some thuja plicata?

At the top of a hill here so wind can be an issue but the thuja blocks it nicely. Neighbours have thuja Brabant also a lovely hedge.

Sonofj wrote: »
    Hi,

At the top of a hill here so wind can be an issue but the thuja blocks it nicely. Neighbours have thuja Brabant also a lovely hedge.

This is to a fairly small backyard. In order to retain natural light coming in I think a hedge might be best. Is there a hardy hedge that stops growing at about 5ft tall?

Sonofj wrote: »
    Hi,

Thuja brabant looks nice, how close could I plant that to a concrete hard standing without structural interference?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Accidentally

This is to a fairly small backyard. In order to retain natural light coming in I think a hedge might be best. Is there a hardy hedge that stops growing at about 5ft tall?

You could go with yew. It's native, evergreen, nearly impossible to kill, and easy to maintain.

You could go with yew. It's native, evergreen, nearly impossible to kill, and easy to maintain.
    Had a look at the yew, the problem would be the roots and the over shading There is a nearby structure that could be affected by strong roots, it really needs to be a hedge I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Beech was introduced as an estate/plantation tree about 300 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Accidentally

Had a look at the yew, the problem would be the roots and the over shading There is a nearby structure that could be affected by strong roots, it really needs to be a hedge I think.

If you are feeling adventurous, a large leafed hebe would work. They are salt resistant and no issues with the roots. They're not overbearing for shade either, which I presume would rule out privet

The problem I find with our hebe is that it self seeds prolifically

Would Buxus Sempervirens thrive on the Atlantic coast line?

Buxus is lovely but susceptible to box blight. What about a cotoneaster or pyracantha? I have both, dense some are thorny though. Beautiful berries in winter absolutely loved by birds?

• Advertisement

Would Buxus Sempervirens thrive on the Atlantic coast line?

Grows well in shady or sunny locations and also suitable for coastal areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭taxusbaccata

Holly is also a great ever green hedging - not as fast as other species but beautiful and solid all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

If you are feeling adventurous, a large leafed hebe would work. They are salt resistant and no issues with the roots. They're not overbearing for shade either, which I presume would rule out privet
    The problem I find with our hebe is that it self seeds prolifically

I think hebe is a great suggestion. The main variety I have flowers twice a year and it has not grown past five foot in height since planted about four or five years back. I have not found it self seeding but it is easy to propagate from cuttings. I got most of my hebe plants from cuttings from my aunt's garden on the Aran islands so they have no trouble dealing with exposed conditions.

Buxus is lovely but susceptible to box blight. What about a cotoneaster or pyracantha? I have both, dense some are thorny though. Beautiful berries in winter absolutely loved by birds?

Cotoneaster is also a good suggestion with good flowers and berries but most varieties will get taller than five foot which is a low level for vigorous hedge plants to stay at without some bit of trimming.

Pyrachanta is also a nice one to consider with a great show of berries in the winter months but the thorns might put some people off.

Other ones I would suggest to fit what is being requested would be the Californian lilac (ceanothus) and osmanthus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sonofj

Thuja brabant looks nice, how close could I plant that to a concrete hard standing without structural interference?
    You could two foot to the wall the roots are fine from what I understand once the hedge dose not go too wild. A garden centre could advise better though.

I am still looking into this. I will plant griselina at the bank boundary.

I have a concrete yard a was wondering if I could also plant griselina in large planters on the concrete? This is to hide bins and give shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

What do the neighbours grow?

How exposed are you exactly?

Can you actually see the Atlantic and will the winter gales hit you full on?

A lot of hedging just won't thrive under serious wind and salt assault.

Fuchsia seems to grow all over Galway. I see a lot of hawthorne around Clare.

Future Forests suggest this selection: https://futureforests.ie/collections/coastal-hedging

ellee wrote: »
    What do the neighbours grow?

How exposed are you exactly?

Can you actually see the Atlantic and will the winter gales hit you full on?

A lot of hedging just won't thrive under serious wind and salt assault.

Fuchsia seems to grow all over Galway. I see a lot of hawthorne around Clare.

Future Forests suggest this selection: https://futureforests.ie/collections/coastal-hedging

It could be griselina, they got it from from slips.

We are within 300m from Atlantic on three sides. V exposed. Can see the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Wow. Sounds amazing!

Griselina is a bit dull but if it's surviving at the neighbours it will probably survive for you too. You could think about inter-planting it with something more decorative and if it didn't take, it wouldn't be a waste of a lot of effort.

Probably worth talking to the local garden centre and maybe scout out what else seems to do well around you. I've a great app that identifies plants called Picture This. Free for 7 days when you download it.

Wild rose is pretty tough, I see loads of crocosimia growing in hedges around Clare too - the 2 of them might liven up a basic griselina hedge?

Advertisement