Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 3 Series 2011 E90

Options
  • 07-02-2020 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello everyone,

As new BMW onwer, I would love some advice & recommendation from BMW experienced owners as I have seen different opinions on the following all over the internet:

Car Info (Currently 190k Miles) - Series 3 2011 316d N47

1- Do I need to flush the fluids such as Brake/Power Steering/Coolant?

* Some people argue over that which some say when it's very dark, bad or there is a problem then flush it otherwise it should last, meanwhile others said, it's good to do every 2 to 4 years (But is it neccessary or just for the sake of good!!)?

If so then Can I get Extractor and refresh the fluids or must be bleeded out of their system!! (I am doing it myself so extractor seems safe to me)

* Actually I cannot locate Power Steering fluid, it's somewhere hidden. Any idea?

- Do I really need to change Timing Chain? I hear no noises, and engine seems running well and the car has been well serviced all time via BMW and decent mechanics yet some people keep saying change it while some keep saying it's made for Life and only change if there is a problem or noises coming up from the engine like rattling, Do you agree?

- What do you think to do to keep the car running up (say to 500k :D:D)?

- I am going to change Read Brake Pads/Discs, how can I know the dimensions of the rear discs as I have seen 2 differents on Micksgarage on my car?

* Can anyone from experience outline the risk and what could possibly go wrong if I mess up? :D it's my first time to do that though.

Thank you very much
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Brake fluid, PS fluid, and coolant should last a long time but all needs to be changed occasionally (see your owner's manual for intervals).

* Brake fluid, just suck up as much as you can from the reservoir and refill with fresh fluid (check you get the right "dot".
    * PS fluid, same deal. Some people will cycle it by steering swings but I don't unless there is a groaning noise when turning the steering wheel while driving.
    * Coolant, have a look into the reservoir. The fluid should be clear and bright.

Fluid changes are easy and will add years onto the life of the car.

Simple rule - if you can't recall when it was last changed, then it's time to change it..

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Shah91n

biko wrote: »
    Brake fluid, PS fluid, and coolant should last a long time but all needs to be changed occasionally (see your owner's manual for intervals).

* Brake fluid, just suck up as much as you can from the reservoir and refill with fresh fluid (check you get the right "dot".
    * PS fluid, same deal. Some people will cycle it by steering swings but I don't unless there is a groaning noise when turning the steering wheel while driving.
    * Coolant, have a look into the reservoir. The fluid should be clear and bright.

Fluid changes are easy and will add years onto the life of the car.

Simple rule - if you can't recall when it was last changed, then it's time to change it..

I will do that I guess for sake of refreshing but i wait for the summer. However Timing chain is still a not sure thing because no point giving the car to a mechanic (God knows if they would mess anything) as long as the timing chain operating without a problem, I know it's a risk but still it's a risk too when you hand your car to take off your engine.

Timing chain is not a preventative maintenance job..... Only get done when an issue (noise etc) necessitates it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭V1

Power Steering on that car is electric - that's why you cant find the PS fluid reservoir :) Nothing to do there.
    If you cant hear the timing chain (and you will know it when you hear it - from outside the car after the first start in the morning usually) leave well enough alone.
    Only sure fire way to make sure you order the right discs is take a wheel off and measure but if you feel like taking a chance, I would be going with the smaller diameter for that car. Fairly straightforward job - only real challenge is the brake disk being seized onto the hub. A little bit of heat should help there.

Augeo wrote: »
    Timing chain is not a preventative maintenance job..... Only get done when an issue (noise etc) necessitates it.

that's why I do not want just do it for the sake of doing it as long as the original running, happy days

• Advertisement

V1 wrote: »
    Power Steering on that car is electric - that's why you cant find the PS fluid reservoir :) Nothing to do there.
    If you cant hear the timing chain (and you will know it when you hear it - from outside the car after the first start in the morning usually) leave well enough alone.
    Only sure fire way to make sure you order the right discs is take a wheel off and measure but if you feel like taking a chance, I would be going with the smaller diameter for that car. Fairly straightforward job - only real challenge is the brake disk being seized onto the hub. A little bit of heat should help there.

Good to know, thanks for mentiong that. I was about to take the cover off the engine to check what is under.

Yeah I am so much into that too to leave timing chain alone as long as it's running, I know it's high mileage for the car but these cars are made to run for long as long as take care of them also if the timing chain is made for life then I should not touch it.

Definitely will give it a go, it feels easy but I was always worry. I have got the size from the car information so will order from Mickgarage the parts.

Anyway Cheers for the information

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭V1

No worries,

But just to be clear on the Timing chain - don't ignore it but don't look at changing it unless it needs it.
    The chains on these engines are supposed to last for the life of the engine however there was a widely publicized design or materials fault with the timing chains and/or sprockets on that engine that resulted in very many engine failures. As far as I know but could be wrong BMW did not finally resolve this until at least 2012. You could be lucky and
    a) have an engine that had the newer parts fitted
    b) it could have been replaced/rectified by a previous owner

Just to be on the safe side keep an ear out for a rattle from the timing chain. It will rattle (to me it sounded a little like a train) when it is worn. If you start to hear the rattle, get it checked. Cost to replace a worn chain/sprockets will be upwards of 1k depending on who does it. Cost of not replacing a worn chain could be the cost of replacing the engine.

V1 wrote: »
    No worries,

But just to be clear on the Timing chain - don't ignore it but don't look at changing it unless it needs it.
    The chains on these engines are supposed to last for the life of the engine however there was a widely publicized design or materials fault with the timing chains and/or sprockets on that engine that resulted in very many engine failures. As far as I know but could be wrong BMW did not finally resolve this until at least 2012. You could be lucky and
    a) have an engine that had the newer parts fitted
    b) it could have been replaced/rectified by a previous owner

Just to be on the safe side keep an ear out for a rattle from the timing chain. It will rattle (to me it sounded a little like a train) when it is worn. If you start to hear the rattle, get it checked. Cost to replace a worn chain/sprockets will be upwards of 1k depending on who does it. Cost of not replacing a worn chain could be the cost of replacing the engine.

I won't ignore it and I am listening to it every single morning before I start the car. Generally no strange noises or rattling or any cracking metal. I think same if the timing chain or any metal parts in the engine is damaged, i will be able to hear it easy.

All I know that cars in 2008 and 2009 were rechecked by BMW that has N47 engine and after that must be fine but as you said might be not at least 2012.

I do not think that the previous owner did it. It was only one owner and I have almost every receipt.

I hope it will be a good one and stay for life. Anyway once I suspect something I will replaces it and I am aware of the cost ... It's crazy

Advertisement