Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber frame house

Options
  • 07-02-2020 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I'm looking at buying a house at the moment it was built in the early 80s surveyor is doing a report at the moment is there any particular issues I should look out for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Legits wrote: »
    I'm looking at buying a house at the moment it was built in the early 80s surveyor is doing a report at the moment is there any particular issues I should look out for.

Detached?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Legits

Detached?

Yeah detached on its own site it's a large property 5 bed

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Timber.frame wasn't too common here in early 80s I'd imagine.
    Is it a recognised timber frame system or a diy effort as some trades people returning from the states used to favour.
    There can be serious issues with stick built one off houses from that period.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Legits wrote: »

Cold houses which can be incredibly difficult to upgrade from an insulation point of view.

Internal Quilt insulation between studs which has probably sagged over time.

You cant pump the cavity.
    You can't insulate internally with non breathable insulation and vapour Barriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

If there is access to the sole plates anywhere check for evidence of rot or high moisture content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Legits

If there is access to the sole plates anywhere check for evidence of rot or high moisture content.

No access but there was evidence of mice in the attic and a leak on one roof this concerns me as it could have damaged the timber

Advertisement