Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garden debris in house I'm hoping to buy

• 08-02-2020 5:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Myself and my partner are in the process of buying a house. There is a huge mound behind the garage. It appears to be rubble/garden debris and looks to have been there a long time. The surveyor thinks it's at least 2 skips worth.
    Can we ask current owners to remove it before we buy?

Advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

You can ask via the estate agent, then get your solicitor to include it in the contract if they agree, do a final inspection the day before or day of closing to ensure they have complied as agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We insisted that the sellers emptied the garage - just so we would have somewhere to put our stuff. They took out about a skips worth. Subsequently we are on our third full size skip of 'stuff'. This morning we hauled four mattresses of varying degrees of rottenness out of the undergrowth, plus a shower door unit (the floor went in the previous skip) and pretty much an entire bedrooms worth of disintegrating furniture, none of which had been readily visible in the large overgrown garden when we purchased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Have a good look around the site, I've lost count of the amount of trailers of rubbish I removed from my place after I bought it and thats not including trips to the bottle bank.

The garden was badly overgrown and when I got stuck into it I uncovered all sorts of stuff, looks like the previous tenants were using the place as a tip for years, burying and burning all manner of household waste/crap.

I'm still digging stuff out of the ground 4 years on, check the attic too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

You can’t insist but you can ask. Sometimes it’s easier to just negotiate a reduction in the price and you deal with it rather than working for them to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Doop

You can’t insist but you can ask. Sometimes it’s easier to just negotiate a reduction in the price and you deal with it rather than working for them to.

You certainly can insist via your solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Doop wrote: »
    You certainly can insist via your solicitor.

In a sellers market.. I don't think insist is the word

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Doop

In a sellers market.. I don't think insist is the word

Yeah I suppose you are right...the seller might pull out of the sale ... un-instruct their solicitor.... refund the deposit... start doing viewings again (in the hope they will quickly achieve a price they are happy with like they just had).... all over the cost of 2 skips ...to get rid of their OWN rubbish :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Why would they do any of that? It would be much easier for them to just say no.

Advertisement