Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ciara - Reports/Chat/Non Technical

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Quiet enough this morning, I take it the second helping of wind is coming later.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Laurali wrote: »
    Blue skies now but bad hail and thunder & lightning about 30 mins ago in Westport. Looks like a summers day now.

OOOOoooooooooooooooooooh look at the house you have

win the lotto? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Quiet enough this morning, I take it the second helping of wind is coming later.

Strongest winds have already passed, won't drop much further until Wednesday now though

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Interslice wrote: »
    A spring low tide should be way out. 100 metres from the shore. Wind is pushing water into the bay. River at the end of the beach adding to it. Could be nasty at 4 o clock when its back near high tide.

Very interesting, never knew that! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

zell12 wrote: »
    d4FWnQP.jpg

Who gets to name the storm? I assumed it was just our name for it? Do the UK call it whatever name we pick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The storm is so bad in Galway that I saw a leaf violently falling of a tree:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

fryup wrote: »
    OOOOoooooooooooooooooooh look at the house you have

win the lotto? ;)

You shall refer to her as Lady Laurali henceforth.....you peasant! ;);):D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,273 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Who gets to name the storm? I assumed it was just our name for it? Do the UK call it whatever name we pick?
    Pre-chosen name by UK Met Office

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ireland, UK and Netherlands agree on the names between them based on suggestions from the public

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Think they might give me a job!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Power gone in Longford now. Lightning and torrential rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

ESB power check always useful in these events

• Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

impressive white horses in Dublin bay this morning, not much water coming over the wall in sandymount at high tide.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Seems to be a second peak of winds in the last 40 minutes or so (first peak was this morning after 8.15), no convection around but some really powerful gusts out there. UK is be bearing the brunt of it according to xcweather

Lots of strikes showing up across Mayo, North Galway and into the Midlands.

You mean..... lightning?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Should we have a separate thread for the snow/ice warning? I know it’s nothing too severe but we have had threads for less now that met Éireann have given it credence.

Wind chill is ferocious. And squalls so it will be calm then take off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Thunder, Lightening ,Hail and very strong winds now in Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Longing

Live at Heathrow. Some crazy landings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gln7T-xxE4k&feature=emb_logo

Couple of aborted landings

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was that one of those A380 that just aborted for the 2nd time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Thunder, Lightening ,Hail and very strong winds now in Athlone

Yeah great big flashes of lightning out here in cornamaddy. Was a wonderful show. Serious auld squall that came through

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Just got a Whatapp from a friend flying into Gatwick on a flight that landed 20 minutes ago. He said it was terrifying and the guy is a regular flyer. Grown men and women in genuine fear as the plane made the approach to the runway. Seems to be brutal over there.

Way worse in Navan since the the orange alert was lifted lol!

Torrential rain now, bucketing down

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Good rumble of thunder here now near Castlebar.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Couple of thunder claps just now in castlebar.

Been a pretty tame affair wind wise here apart from an hour or two in the early morning where it got pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Squall making it way towards Dublin in the next 30mins expect heavy rain and gust of 100km.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    Good rumble of thunder here now near Castlebar.

Yes black clouds rolling in over Castlebar big sheets of rain, flashes of lightning and loud rumbles of thunder.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Lenny5 wrote: »
    Yes black clouds rolling in over Castlebar big sheets of rain, flashes of lightning and loud rumbles of thunder.

Yeah rain rolled in now, wind picked up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Meteroite - dont want to ask you this on techincal thread,

Will there be a thread for the snow threat that follows this storm?
    Strange we have snow ice warnings on ME but no thread, aware snow is in title of existing technical thread on Storm Ciara so wonder if it will go there or have its own thread?
    TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Meteroite - dont want to ask you this on techincal thread,

Will there be a thread for the snow threat that follows this storm?
    Strange we have snow ice warnings on ME but no thread, aware snow is in title of existing technical thread on Storm Ciara so wonder if it will go there or have its own thread?
    TIA

We await the snow king Kermit for a thread.

Advertisement