Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Top 10 reasons PSNI Student Officers leave on Day 1

• 08-02-2020 10:42am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,531 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Recruitment is open from 4th-25th February. Good luck to all applicants.

For your amusement (and possibly to educate others) I've compiled the Top 10 reasons people have walked on Day 1:
    1. They didn't know it involved shift work
    2. They didn't know they had to carry a gun
    3. They didn't know they had to walk beat patrols
    4. They thought the uniform was optional: "Oh no it's ok, I want to do plain clothes work" (said to a Drill Instructor on Day 1 when ordered to change into uniform)
    5. They thought their personal car would be automatically modified with personal issue blues and twos ("What if I'm stuck in traffic?")
    6. They thought they could transfer to America, Canada, Australia or New Zealand
    7. They thought there were performance-related bonuses linked to arrests, speeding tickets and successful prosecutions
    8. They thought the job carried 'perks' like free admission to concerts with Access All Areas, VIP lounges and the like
    9. They thought they'd be able to "fix" tickets and fines for their family, friends, and even themselves... which leads me on to number 10
    10. They thought being a Police Officer meant you had Diplomatic Immunity

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭endainoz

Shield wrote: »

For your amusement (and possibly to educate others) I've compiled the Top 10 reasons people have walked on Day 1:
    4. They thought the uniform was optional: "Oh no it's ok, I want to do plain clothes work" (said to a Drill Instructor on Day 1 when ordered to change into uniform)
    5. They thought their personal car would be automatically modified with personal issue blues and twos ("What if I'm stuck in traffic?")
    6. They thought they could transfer to America, Canada, Australia or New Zealand
    7. They thought there were performance-related bonuses linked to arrests, speeding tickets and successful prosecutions
    8. They thought the job carried 'perks' like free admission to concerts with Access All Areas, VIP lounges and the like
    9. They thought they'd be able to "fix" tickets and fines for their family, friends, and even themselves... which leads me on to number 10

That list could probably could be used for most police forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭W221

Shield wrote: »

For my own indulgence, do many people walk after induction day?

W221 wrote: »

Went to induction day. I can see why some people might leave after it but overall it was good and encouraged me more.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

endainoz wrote: »
    That list could probably could be used for most police forces.

It looks like many have no idea of anything about the PSNI or the environment they work in?

NIMAN wrote: »
    It looks like many have no idea of anything about the PSNI or the environment they work in?

Yes that’s absolutely true! Even some of the people I met at induction were asking some questions which I thought the answers would have been very obvious.

Some history lessons required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sharon1986

oh don't even talk....its mad some questions!

Are you happy with your allocated district, was it one of your chosen?

sharon1986 wrote: »
    oh don't even talk....its mad some questions!

Are you happy with your allocated district, was it one of your chosen?

Yes I’m happy with mine, and yeah it was one of my choices! You’re in my intake aren’t you? Are you happy with yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

Yes I’m happy with mine, and yeah it was one of my choices! You’re in my intake aren’t you? Are you happy with yours?

would love to hear some of these lol

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stevob7

Is it quite likely to get deployed somewhere within the Belfast district if this is your only choice given that there are many officers required to cover this area?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SMS19

stevob7 wrote: »
    Is it quite likely to get deployed somewhere within the Belfast district if this is your only choice given that there are many officers required to cover this area?

You could be sent anywhere in Northern Ireland and are not guaranteed to get any of your district choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

May I add;

11. The Friday Frightener....

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stevob7

For those of you on here that have already been deployed in the PSNI, how do you find the job? Is it rewarding? Are there plenty of opportunities and encouragement for promotions etc? What are your serving areas like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 musicfan76

I have seen people finish on day 1 and not come back. There was at least 1 on my induction, who didn't come back.

musicfan76 wrote: »
    I have seen people finish on day 1 and not come back. There was at least 1 on my induction, who didn't come back.

As it happens we lost one a couple of days in too

Advertisement