Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girona

Options
  • 08-02-2020 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of booking a solo cycling holiday here for a week in September. Can anyone recommend accomodation, where to base myself, bike rental shops, groups to go out on spins with etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

This crowd were great for bike hire and they also have a shop ride every Thursday for anyone that wants to tag along:

https://www.gironacyclecentre.com/product/day-trips/road-bike-shop-ride-free/

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

We are planning a trip there in March. Cannot recommend anything yet but

We used EatSleepCycle bike hire. Have 3 ridleys booked and the chap seems to know his stuff. We won’t need a guided tour but I think there is a spin organised by that shop.

Accommodation we have an apartment booked in the centre of the town. Sleeps 6 and gets rave reviews. We only need a coffee machine and beds. Airbnb was used to locate this.

Hundreds of routes on ride with gos to be downloaded.

Flying into Barcelona and taking the high speed train to girona. Not sure what to expect here but didn’t fancy car hire for what will be just two car trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Very nice greenway from Olot to Girona and on to Saint Felix, about 100Km in total.

Map of Spanish Greways is here, if that's your thing. http://www.viasverdes.com/mapas_en.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

billyhead wrote: »
    I'm thinking of booking a solo cycling holiday here for a week in September. Can anyone recommend accomodation, where to base myself, bike rental shops, groups to go out on spins with etc

Group spins: BikeBreaks on a Thursday, EatSleepCycle on a Monday, hard-core spin with Service Course on a Sunday. Google should get you relevant details.

If you don't want to AirBnB it, the Hotel Ultonia gets good reviews; I've used it once and it's grand, with bike storage, wash, workshop in an otherwise 'normal' hotel. Hotel du Nord offers a more premium experience, I'm told.

Rental - loads of this available. Bikerentalgirona.com seemed the cheapest when last I looked - nice BMC bikes. But BikeBreaks have lovely Cannondales, ESC have nice bikes...plenty of options.

Things to google when planning routes
    • Els Angels (lovely 10k climb through forest, starts right on the edge of town)
    • Rocacorba (the local hardman hill)
    • San Grau (more hills, then lovely coast road)
    • Mare del Deu del Mon (bigger hill, further away, lovely climb)
    • Torre de Madeloc (half hour train ride, then some nice riding into France, to tackle an out-there 20+%er, with great sea views - avoid if v. windy.
    • Banyoles (easy spin to town with big lake, lots of cafes...but you'll pass it en route to/from Rocacorba).
    • The 'Hincapie Loop' of Els Angels, Monells, Santa Pellaia, Cassa de la Selva and San Andreu Salou is a truly fun ride for 70k or so, start/finish Girona. Best done anti-clockwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Iwernia

• Advertisement
Advertisement