Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

charging different on laptop

Options
  • 08-02-2020 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I got a little video camera which when i charge for 3 hours on my laptop by usb it will last 60 minutes everytime ( that fully charged really) but when i plug it into my samsung s8 phone socket by usb for 3 hours and more which is handiest for me it always only lasts only 25-30 minutes so how come is this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

samjames wrote: »
    I got a little video camera which when i charge for 3 hours on my laptop by usb it will last 60 minutes everytime ( that fully charged really) but when i plug it into my samsung s8 phone socket by usb for 3 hours and more which is handiest for me it always only lasts only 25-30 minutes so how come is this

All USB power is not the same so your laptop is outputting more power than your Samsung charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭samjames

BailMeOut wrote: »
    All USB power is not the same so your laptop is outputting more power than your Samsung charger.
    hi, so will the wall socket charger be able to fully charge it at all, i did have it on for 4 hours and was about 30 minutes too,

would it damage the battery by doing this?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

On a laptop blue USB ports have more power than black ones.

thanks, was going to but one of those portable powerbanks on Ebay with 3 -4 usb ports, 500000mah, hoping it might be similar power as laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

thanks, was going to but one of those portable powerbanks on Ebay with 3 -4 usb ports, 500000mah, hoping it might be similar power as laptop

The 500000mAh is only the capacity of the powerbank. And at those ratings, was it one you bought on ebay from China? I have a few 30-50000mAh banks but half a million is either a typo from you (hopefully) or you fell for a fake bank. The majority of cheap ebay powerbanks are grossly over-rated.

If you have any specs on the camera (make/model/battery capacity), we might be able to speculate on how long it should take to fully charge.

• Advertisement

FanadMan wrote: »
    The 500000mAh is only the capacity of the powerbank. And at those ratings, was it one you bought on ebay from China? I have a few 30-50000mAh banks but half a million is either a typo from you (hopefully) or you fell for a fake bank. The majority of cheap ebay powerbanks are grossly over-rated.

If you have any specs on the camera (make/model/battery capacity), we might be able to speculate on how long it should take to fully charge.
    yes chinese and does say 500,000mah, here is an example of one but have not bought one yet as could not choose what is best one to buy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500000mAh-External-Power-Bank-Pack-2USB-Battery-Charger-Portable-For-Phone-UK/312944881962

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

yes chinese and does say 500,000mah, here is an example of one but have not bought one yet as could not choose what is best one to buy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500000mAh-External-Power-Bank-Pack-2USB-Battery-Charger-Portable-For-Phone-UK/312944881962

That capacity is def fake. Even on that link you provided there is a disclaimer: Note:
    500000 mah is a theoretical capacity from the company.

A good quality Anker bank only has 20100 mAh.

Steer clear of those cheapo type banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BailMeOut wrote: »

Wrong. The client device draws what it needs.

True, but not the OPs problem.

Samjames your issue is the charger thinking its "done" before it really is. This is a common problem with smaller devices like bluetooth earpieces, mice etc. For an S8 itll charge at 2-5A when it starts charging and finish at say 0.2A when its close to 100%. Your camera may only charge at 0.3A starting off and finish at 0.005A or somewhere in that range. Its going so low as to confuse the charger into thinking there's no requirement to charge further.

On some powerbanks you can enter a low draw mode to counteract this, in your case youll just have to use another USB brick. If you get something rated for a max of 500mA (0.5A) then its far far less likely to stop prematurely.

Advertisement