Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ANYONE ELSE VOTE FOR SINN FEIN FOR FIRST TIME TODAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The Renua candidate in Kildare North is campaigning on a xenophobia ticket.

That's the same one as me.

Could not believe the leaflet.

Never heard of Renua before.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Less than 5 years ago Sinn Fein were talking about slashing all consultant salaries and having a max public sector salary of 100,000.

Now they've decided theyre hiring 1000 new doctors and consultants. How could you trust them? It's pie in the sky stuff. You'd have to worry about anyone who would believe them.

I think anyone with a brain can see the holes but they still want someone different to have a crack at it. FG promised to abolish USC over there last term, again anyone with a brain could see it can't be done. You can add there new promise of raising the standard rate cut off point to 50k to that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

jay0109 wrote: »
    I don't vote for parties with private armies
    Im close to 70, retired and will vote for SF. I have never supported SF. I campaigned for Dev in my teens and my family were staunchly FF.
    FG have done so badly in many area, since they were given the chance, not least that they didn't even realise or understand the mood of the country that is crystallised by SF heading the polls. I do realise that heading the poll and getting the vote are n ot the same in practical terms.
    I can not see the attraction of voting for FF who banjaxed the country in the noughties and in previous elections including Jack Lynch's notorious vote buying removal of domestic rates. And who can forgEt Bertie - a MinIster of Finance without a banK account.
    Its time for a change and for SF, who admittedly cant form a government on their own and are unlikely to be accepted as coalition partners by FF or FG, to have increased representation to keep pressure on FF and FG.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Let me guess....controlled immigration based around a points system?
    How racist is that !
    Maybe read his pamphlet before trying to insinuate that I'm wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭antimatterx

No! And I can't believe why anybody would. They're a protest vote, and everything they are promising they won't be able to fund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Let me guess....controlled immigration based around a points system?
    How racist is that !
    He doesn't want EU's free movement of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Yurt! wrote: »
    Fine Gael are dismal on health, this their's to carry. I'd like to take a look at your crystal-ball to see into this SF future.

We all pay taxes and bust our ass to fund a health service that sees our loved ones and neighbors on trolleys. FG needs to own it and accept the kicking they're going to get today.

FF started everything bad tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I always pop the shinner candidate on the bottom of the ballot before filling out the rest.

This year it’ll be different though. Because we have a NP candidate. SF will be second from bottom. Pity. If he was running as an independent, or for any other party he’d be in my top 5. Seems a decent guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

It's HSE management, all 20 layers of it, and the Union's that have the health services the way they are, it doesn't matter who is in government, it's not going to change much

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's HSE management, all 20 layers of it, and the Union's that have the health services the way they are, it doesn't matter who is in government, it's not going to change much

That's a cop out, it's a black hole but no one has been willing to roll their sleeves up and tackle it. In 9 years under FG it has not progressed one iota.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

I accidentally gave renua my fourth preference.

Apologies in advance if they go ahead and reinstate the 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Maybe read his pamphlet before trying to insinuate that I'm wrong!

I got a Renua pamphlet yesterday, the first one this campaign. It mentions a points based immigration system amongst the 10 main issues for them.
    That was all they said.

What extra did they say on yours?

Anyone who works in this country are mad if they vote sinn fein.
    I don't know why everyone who 'wants change ' have decided to vote sinn fein, there are other options.

& I don't know why so many people want change, & what change so they want? Back to 10 years ago, when we had nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Tork

No. I know why people are annoyed at FFG and want to protest. Still, there was no way my vote was ever going to go to the Shinners. They're still too shady for my liking and I dislike their policies. I'm not looking forward to hearing more of Mary Lou's foghorn voice either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

endacl wrote: »
    I always pop the shinner candidate on the bottom of the ballot before filling out the rest.

This year it’ll be different though. Because we have a NP candidate. SF will be second from bottom. Pity. If he was running as an independent, or for any other party he’d be in my top 5. Seems a decent guy.

Just curious but why would you give the SF or NP candidate any preference on your ballot paper? Have you been taken in by the ages old RTE spin that you should vote all the way down the ballot paper?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Just curious but why would you give the SF or NP candidate any preference on your ballot paper? Have you been taken in by the ages old RTE spin that you should vote all the way down the ballot paper?

I don't think I've ever gotten past about number 4 on a ballot..

Absolutely no point in giving someone a vote if you don't like them (whomever they may be)

Why run the risk that your vote might transfer to someone you cannot stand??

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

I visited an old friend today. Havent seen him since 1987.
    He would be 51 today, except that he was murdered by friends of an elected politician.

Then I voted.

Who was the politician? Dr Ian Paisley? Gregory Campbell? Sammy Wilson?

I'm in my 50s and I gave my number 1 and 2 to Sinn Fein today. I've never even given them a preference down the list before and I don't even think my local Sinn Fein TD is a particularly pleasant character. It was just the obvious level of panic in the establishment and the establishment media in the last few days that their time at the trough might finally be coming to an end which convinced me to give them a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Less than 5 years ago Sinn Fein were talking about slashing all consultant salaries and having a max public sector salary of 100,000.

Now they've decided theyre hiring 1000 new doctors and consultants. How could you trust them? It's pie in the sky stuff. You'd have to worry about anyone who would believe them.

All politicians lie, did you believe FF that the USC was temporary? Did you believe FG in 2016 that they would abolish the USC? Did you believe Labours 'red line' issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

No. But they certainly appeal to a certain mentality. The terrorist association. Is just too off-putting to most though.
    And SF still openly using that association, rather than trying to put it in the past. Tommy McMahon, convicted IRA murderer of innocent children, prominent at the SF tent outside a polling station in Monaghan apparently.
    In the mass national media, there is a past is the past line pushed. On the ground, a different policy for the grass roits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

All politicians lie, did you believe FF that the USC was temporary? Did you believe FG in 2016 that they would abolish the USC? Did you believe Labours 'red line' issues?

But you're telling us SF will be different?

A change is what you tell us.

Now you say they lie like the other parties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,169 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They were higher up in my order of preference then they've ever been, but in a 3 seater constituency, not in my 1,2 or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

First time giving them a no. 1. FF need to be kept in check given the last time they were in charge. FG have failed on housing and health. SF policies read as normal social democrat policies and ideas, don't be fooled by the paniced propaganda coming out of the indo etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I’m considering it, also mainly to see if anyone can improve the Health Service

Social Democrats are also strong on Health.

Simon Harris was in hiding for the whole election campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Voted for the shinners for the first time. Nothing will change if we keep voting in the same idiots. Michael Martin will be Taoseach this time next week no doubt!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I was in Limerick Hospital this week,
    I don't have the words to describe what I seen there, it will stay with me for a long time.
    That was it for me.
    I got up early this morning & on way to work,
    I voted for Sinn Fein.

Can you elaborate on what makes you think that SF will do any better that the opposing two ex-health ministers?

The budget for the HSE national service plan assigned for next year is 17.05 billion, an increase of 6% 1 billion. 5.6% previous year.
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/media/pressrel/hse-publishes-national-service-plan-2020.html

Sin Fein's manifesto (last updated 2017?
    https://www.sinnfein.ie/health
    https://www.sinnfein.ie/files/2017/Comhliosta_mini-doc_April2017.pdf
    ) says to increase it by €794 million year 1.
    So FG are putting in more funding than SF's health manifesto?

(3.3 billion extra over 5 years will probably be reached no matter who is in charge, unless there's another crash)

The two constants are that the HSE will still be running it; and that it will overrun resulting in another hiring freeze towards the end of the year.

The integrated waiting list system is the only concrete proposal that I see from SF.
    Would it really be so hard to read their web page and give an actual reason to vote for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

ANYONE ELSE VOTE FOR SINN FEIN FOR FIRST TIME TODAY.

NO

Most definitely not. Wouldn't touch them with the dirty stick, never mind voting them into our Government!

Crazy question, crazy idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Bingo. The Shinners aren't gong to take on the Public Service Unions.

Vile party.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

tintin67 wrote: »
    Who was the politician? Dr Ian Paisley? Gregory Campbell? Sammy Wilson?

I'm in my 50s and I gave my number 1 and 2 to Sinn Fein today. I've never even given them a preference down the list before and I don't even think my local Sinn Fein TD is a particularly pleasant character. It was just the obvious level of panic in the establishment and the establishment media in the last few days that their time at the trough might finally be coming to an end which convinced me to give them a shot.

But SF are the establishment already they are definitely the establishment in the six counties these days. Plus as for the panic in the media, that is subjective. Personally I listen when questions are asked and only vague or slippery answers are given. On the Paul Quinn issue and the SF's issue and past with SCC for example.
    It is clear to me that SF just want a rebranding of the SCC as they have done with RUC. As it will be good for the optics for the more hardline SF supporters.
    The main problem I have with SF is thier two track strategy both north and south of the border, which necessitates a large dose of duplicity and double talking.

Unfortunately in my constituency it is not very competitive (5 seater) and is easy to rattle off 5/6 who get in. As former big names have retired. So regardless which way I vote the SF candidate will get in again. But I feel I should vote just to register my views and give proper figures to the support of the candidates.

I have voted for SF in the presidential election and in local elections. But I don't think I will vote SF in a GE - while they have such a high level of duplicity is just too much for me. Until they are more open, honest, and upfront like a normal democratic party - they will not be getting my vote in a GE.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It's a pity Leo hasn't been as passionate about tackling the housing, rental and health issues as he's now saying he is if people believe his spiel and vote them back in.

3 terms is far from normal in governance here, they had their chance, blew it.

Someone else's time to have a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

McMurphy wrote: »
    It's a pity Leo hasn't been as passionate about tackling the housing, rental and health issues as he's now saying he is if people believe his spiel and vote them back in.

3 terms is far from normal in governance here, they had their chance, blew it.

Someone else's time to have a go.

Yeah we only balanced the books last year.

But sure we had loads of money to tackle all these issues.

First thing was to get the country working, put out the fire and the build on from that.

People want things instantly now.

Overnight or its not good enough.

Advertisement