Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ANYONE ELSE VOTE FOR SINN FEIN FOR FIRST TIME TODAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

McMurphy wrote: »
    There is no property tax in the north, domestic rates are fundamentally different to our property tax,

The Belfast City Council says the opposite to you.
    Rates
    In Northern Ireland, rates are a property tax based on the capital, or market value of homes.

Rates of non-domestic properties, such as businesses and offices, are based on the rental value of your property.

The income from this tax contributes towards the cost of providing local government services, such as leisure services and bin collections, and central government services, such as education and health.

It's different in that it's set out into "district rates" and "regional rates" and they're a lot less scared about increasing the rate year on year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

firstlight wrote: »
    Take it from the banks profit the Irish people bailed out
    The 13 billion their owed aswell

Be realistic please, we missed our chance to burn the banks and the people have spent 12 years+ digging the country out of it ( which should automatically disqualify FF/Lab/Greens from anyone with a half decent memory).

Also even if we got that 13 billion, there are much better things to spend that money on than building free houses for a group of chancers. Do the 99.8% of the country who manage to hold a job and a rent/house down not count for anything anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

If Pearce Doherty was leader I would have voted for them. Mary Lou just waffles too much and is like a rabbit in headlights when asked a question.

As Larry Gogan (RIP) would have said, "The questions didn't suit her"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,189 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

No.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Link please.

From the people who are appointed to collect the Property Tax.

https://www.finance-ni.gov.uk/topics/property-rating/domestic-rating

What are rates?
    Rates are a property tax based on the valuation of your home. The income from rates provides funding for services at both local (your council) and regional (NI Assembly) levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

I'm thinking of starting a new political party, aimed directly at people who want change....
    I'm calling it PNFC, or maybe PNC... I've not decided yet.
    I cant speak Irish but I've done my best to add an 'Irish' element to it.

It's called Party Nua for Change...

My policies will be based on the following...

Address Health Issues
    Address Tax Concerns
    Tackle Green Stuff
    Keep a keen eye on jobs
    Build 'stuff' (anything from Sheds to Motorways)
    Spend Money Wisely
    etc etc......

Who's with me ?...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

firstlight wrote: »
    Take it from the banks profit the Irish people bailed out
    The 13 billion their owed aswell

The 13 billion from Apple, if it does have to be paid, will not go to Ireland. It's not that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

ressem wrote: »
    The Belfast City Council says the opposite to you.

It's different in that it's set out into "district rates" and "regional rates" and they're a lot less scared about increasing the rate year on year.

You might have missed this part of my post.
    There is no property tax in the north, domestic rates are fundamentally different to our property tax,

Would you like to guess what makes them fundamentally different to our local property tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I heard that people don't like to be lied to by politicians. Sinn Fein think that if they repeat the lie that there is no property tax in the North often enough, some people will believe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

In a way I would like to see Sinn Fein in power just so people get it out of their system and see what an utter shambles their manifesto will make of this country. However I also never want to see that happen as it will take so much longer to fix the problems they bring than it did to wreck it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

IngazZagni wrote: »
    In a way I would like to see Sinn Fein in power just so people get it out of their system and see what an utter shambles their manifesto will make of this country. However I also never want to see that happen as it will take so much longer to fix the problems they bring than it did to wreck it.
    People are about to get a rude awakening, they will be out in the next election but the damage they do before that could take a long time to fix . Taxed to the hilt to pay for scroungers . They are absolutely abysmal up north and it will no different down south . Shouting populist crap from opposition is very easy but being actually in power and trying to run a successful country is totally different. Have to laugh vote for change - we are nearly in full employment and the economy is booming -yes they can do way better on housing and health care but it’s nowhere near as bad as the opposition would have you believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

No, and never will thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

A lot not all but a lot of people advocating on social media sites that I am and would know actually benefit hugely from this government.

Living in apartments with rent been paid for by the council of 1800 a month, partners living there, both claiming benefits while doing swett FA to contribute.

Moaning the government doesn't do anything for them.

Ironic. Its actually hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Would you like to guess what makes them fundamentally different to our local property tax?

You could used that post to state the difference, instead... more guessing games and vagueness.

So would you be in favour of replacing the Irish property tax with the Northern system of rates then? And in light of the higher minimum wage and cost of living, what % do you suppose such a system would charge in Dublin?

I suppose you're going to say something about services provided for that money, that it includes x and y.
    Without mentioning...

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/property-tax-what-does-it-mean-for-you-1.3849529
    Consider someone living in Dún Laoghaire in a house now worth €850,000; they’re only paying tax of €650 a year (including the local 15 per cent reduction).

VS

https://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/council/rates/rates2018.aspx
    Domestic properties
    Here’s an example for a home valued at £125,000 (average Belfast domestic property value) transferred to Belfast in April 2015. The discount to the district rate, based on 2018-19 district rates, would be applied as follows:

Transferring area Castlereagh
    District rates bill before relief 953.44
    (£) District rate relief 21.88
    (£) District rate 407.83
    (£) Regional rate 545.62
    (£) Total rate bill for 2018-2019 931.57
    (£) Total increase from 2017-2018 53.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

A lot not all but a lot of people advocating on social media sites that I am and would know actually benefit hugely from this government.

Living in apartments with rent been paid for by the council of 1800 a month, partners living there, both claiming benefits while doing swett FA to contribute.

You are spot on because like anybody with a blinker of sense knows, SF is a party for the wasters by the wasters. There’s many SW recipients simply foaming at the mouth for SF to get in so they get further cushioned from ever contributing anything to the state - easier to whinge about the gubbermint this and that when you don’t have to work a wet hour for the cash you get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Meaningless rant as per usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I’m considering it, also mainly to see if anyone can improve the Health Service

I didn’t do it! Feel better now

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭all the bais

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

People are about to get a rude awakening, they will be out in the next election but the damage they do before that could take a long time to fix . Taxed to the hilt to pay for scroungers . They are absolutely abysmal up north and it will no different down south . Shouting populist crap from opposition is very easy but being actually in power and trying to run a successful country is totally different. Have to laugh vote for change - we are nearly in full employment and the economy is booming -yes they can do way better on housing and health care but it’s nowhere near as bad as the opposition would have you believe.

the media through their love affair with the NGO and charity sector hyper messaged the homeless situation and ignored the absolutely incredible recovery , no country in the EU comes close to the growth we have seen since 2014 , of course no countries economy is as closely linked to the success of the american economy but thats beside the point

the poverty industry and misery story hacks get far too much attention in this country and this is the result

Meaningless rant as per usual.

Its true though.

• Advertisement

Its true though.

It's not though, first of all its almost impossible to understand. Only through rereading a few times does the rant become somewhat legible. Maybe slow down when you're spewing the bile, put some thought into it. Instead of blind and ineffective rage.

It's not though, first of all its almost impossible to understand. Only through rereading a few times does the rant become somewhat legible. Maybe slow down when you're spewing the bile, put some thought into it. Instead of blind and ineffective rage.

Not blind.

Everyone knows these people.

Whether you agree or not.

Not blind.

Everyone knows these people.

Whether you agree or not.

But it is blind and it's incredibly stupid, the way you post a reader would be forgiven for thinking there's millions on the dole and it's only the supporters of FG that work and contribute. You and people like you have always used those on social welfare as being the problem and not the policies of the party you blindly support.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what do you mean? we are taxed to the hilt for scroungers, after decades of FFG bull****. not only that and this is the nub, many people paying a marginal tax rate of fifty percent and living in kips, are being robbed on housing, as per FFG wishes. While they rent an entire luxury apartment block in dundrum, for social housing! These people living in kips with sky high rents, paying for the scroungers you mention. that pay as good as no rent, many with the free money , they get. No LPT. The apartments in dundrum are being let out at market rent , minus ten percent. Probably a nice E1800 a month or so for a one bed! You think many of them think voting for SF dont have reservations? but you think they are going to stand for this bull**** anymore either? before this budget just gone, where they didnt do anything with tax or welfare, the previous few budgets, gave workers earning just below the marginal rate, about an euro a week usc decrease!!!! and these fools think they will be thrown cents and robbed for a fortune , for a roof over their head, as per FG plans? LOL! LOL! LOL!

and another thing that has becomne abundantly clear, there is no bloody money anymore for all of the usual budget blowouts, people are going to have to get used to a new reality!

Nowhere near as bad as the opposition would have you believe? safe to say, you arent renting in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I voted in order of hotness this year. So the sinn Fein candidate got my number 3.

Nothing I could do about it. It was completely out of my hands

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

got my vote - though not for the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what do you mean? we are taxed to the hilt for scroungers, after decades of FFG bull****. not only that and this is the nub, many people paying a marginal tax rate of fifty percent and living in kips, are being robbed on housing, as per FFG wishes. While they rent an entire luxury apartment block in dundrum, for social housing! These people living in kips with sky high rents, paying for the scroungers you mention. that pay as good as no rent, many with the free money , they get. No LPT. The apartments in dundrum are being let out at market rent , minus ten percent. Probably a nice E1800 a month or so for a one bed! You think many of them think voting for SF dont have reservations? but you think they are going to stand for this bull**** anymore either? before this budget just gone, where they didnt do anything with tax or welfare, the previous few budgets, gave workers earning just below the marginal rate, about an euro a week usc decrease!!!! and these fools think they will be thrown cents and robbed for a fortune , for a roof over their head, as per FG plans? LOL! LOL! LOL!

and another thing that has becomne abundantly clear, there is no bloody money anymore for all of the usual budget blowouts, people are going to have to get used to a new reality!

Nowhere near as bad as the opposition would have you believe? safe to say, you arent renting in dublin?
    No I own a house in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

No I own a house in Dublin

yeah I figured. the rent here is insane, and many who are now homeowners here, were paying well less rent, even in celtic tiger and were given mortgages, that many would never get now. I am not saying this applies to you. your situation is your business. this endless harping on about the homeless, ten thousand of them in dublin, but hundreds of thousands are fcuked by this housing crisis. with all the FG spin doctors, FG shills who would inhabit boars etc, its astonishing to think, that eventually, people wouldnt realise "hey you know what" FG might say they represent me, but they really dont!

I think the next few years ahead is going to be fascinating!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Rikand wrote: »
    I voted in order of hotness this year. So the sinn Fein candidate got my number 3.

Nothing I could do about it. It was completely out of my hands
    It was after you came in your hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You telling me they wasted all that dough on Irish water when they hadn't even balanced the book's?

Over a Billion spent on a now obsolete billing entity before they spent it on health, or affordable homes?

My mind's already made up to not give fg the faintest sniff of a vote, but you definitely wouldn't be persuading me to change my mind.

Bad argument bro.
    You are aware why that billing entity is obsolete don't you ?

It's because back in 2016 when the election was not going great for FF they decided mid campaign that they were against water charges, the same water charges they agreed with the Trioka during the bailout.

And people took the bait and there were was a surge for FF.

So much so that ditching water charges was part of the confidence and supply arrangements.

So those entities are obsolete thanks to FF flying a populist kyte and the people falling for it.

Advertisement