Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extension & heating question on potential purchase

• 08-02-2020 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi!

I'm looking at buying a bungalow which has quite a few limiting factors and would love to get some opinions.

1) no chimney
    2) heated by storage heaters
    3) quite a small house & very limited space to extend without going through a planning permission application. Site is also < .5 acre

The positives really are the location!

1 & 2 might not be a big deal. Possibly one of the SEAI grants would be an option to update to a heat pump.
    For me the big turn off is 3) and I don't a way around it. I would definitely like a little bigger (extend by 40sqm if it was an option) to accommodate a utility and 1 other toilet, but I'm concerned that the layout won't lend itself to that at all due to the lack of space at the back.

Would extending to the front to 'square it off' be an option at all without planning? (see attached 'dotted line', F= front, R= rear).

Attaching an image so you see what I mean.

All feedback would be so greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
    /J

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

you cannot extend to the front without planning.

how would you roof that extension, im assuming the front bedroom and front entrance comes off the main ridge in a gable?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Planning required, so not you can’t do it as exempted development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Hi!

I'm looking at buying a bungalow which has quite a few limiting factors and would love to get some opinions.

1) no chimney
    2) heated by storage heaters
    3) quite a small house & very limited space to extend without going through a planning permission application. Site is also < .5 acre

The positives really are the location!

1 & 2 might not be a big deal. Possibly one of the SEAI grants would be an option to update to a heat pump.
    For me the big turn off is 3) and I don't a way around it. I would definitely like a little bigger (extend by 40sqm if it was an option) to accommodate a utility and 1 other toilet, but I'm concerned that the layout won't lend itself to that at all due to the lack of space at the back.

Would extending to the front to 'square it off' be an option at all without planning? (see attached 'dotted line', F= front, R= rear).

Attaching an image so you see what I mean.

All feedback would be so greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
    /J
    It is not an easy solution but if you retrofit underfloor heating, youd gain some floor space but you need a wet heating system.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

It is not an easy solution but if you retrofit underfloor heating, youd gain some floor space but you need a wet heating system.
    There’s probably a few questions to be asked before jumping to ufh with the heat pump.

OP
    is there suspended timber floors?
    What age is the house?
    What is your renovation budget?
    What the current wall / floor / roof insulation
    Is the house drafty, moldy, damp, leaking, rotting - any or all?
    Is there a problem with road access or septic tank or why the fear of planning?
    What the orientation - the front faces south?
    Where are the views ?

Advertisement