Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband provider cork city ?

Options
  • 08-02-2020 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I'm in the process of getting broadband for the apartment. At the moment I'm tethering from my phone to my laptop.

This is not much of a solution because the signal often drops and the phone gets a download speed of only 9 Mbps which means slow Internet.

Who has good Internet speed in Cork city (gurranabraher) ? What broadband provider do you use ? What speeds are you getting ?

Is it worth forking out extra for virgin high speed Internet?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Check if SIRO is in your area. Fastest speeds on the market bar none. SIRO.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Does your management company allow any/all connections?

Sometimes only 1 company has the rights....

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Tara4

SIRO is not yet available at this address.

:-(

I live 7 mins from Patrick Street in cork city. How can it not be available yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Im with eir also northside of the city getting average 65mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

ofcork wrote: »
    Im with eir also northside of the city getting average 65mb.

Eir, sky and Vodafone use the same wires belonging to eir so it'll be the same speed with either of the 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

.red. wrote: »
    Eir, sky and Vodafone use the same wires belonging to eir so it'll be the same speed with either of the 3.

Siro is Vodafone and ESB total different set up then Eir they use the ESB wires for there fibre, however you need to get a conaction you need to get a box fitted to the side of your house or building,

Can you get virgin media then ? They can offer a 500MB line and must apartments in cork are setup with virgin media,

Would you be able to check your sitting to see what fittings you might have for a phone line ? If you can upload a photo of the box and that should tell you who you can put in with no effort

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Check if SIRO is in your area. Fastest speeds on the market bar none. SIRO.ie

Yeah siro when up n running is tops

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭mikeecho

You can either get broadband thru the phone line or a cable TV company (virgin)

If you go via the phone line option, then no matter what provider you opt for the physical connection will be the same, so the speeds will all be same. (There may be different contention rates)

So basically just go with whatever package suits you price wise.

I have a fiber connection with eir, I currently have a 300mb line.. but it's over kill. 150mb is more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gildan

Also with Eir, the speed is grand, some days it can jitter about but i'm just outside the city and easily get speeds of 70mb which is enough for our busy house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 susanlynch

I'm in the city and work from home. In my opinion it is well worth the money for Virgin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Don't forget you can also bundle TV with some BB providers so might save a bob elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dahayeser

Currently with Virgin Media. No TV but have the home phone, there is a surcharge if you go with broadband so it's only €2/3 less with out the phone. Bill has crept up to over €50 now looking at options.

Saw Three had an offer of unlimited data for €30 today https://www.three.ie/plans/mobile-broadband/bill-pay/

I am central and would get 4G no bother but don't know how those speeds would compare to my current cable option with Virgin. Want to be able to stream TV or else it's useless. 15 day cooling off period but if there is any deterioration in service after 24 months is a long time.

Anyone have any experience with Three as a home broadband provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

Trust me. Don't go with Eir. The speed might be fine but if anything goes wrong they are the absolute worst to deal with. I have never come across so many people working for the same company who don't give a toss about their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Acosta wrote: »
    Trust me. Don't go with Eir. The speed might be fine but if anything goes wrong they are the absolute worst to deal with. I have never come across so many people working for the same company who don't give a toss about their job.
    Have to agree their customer care service is worse than woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭Worztron

I've been with Digiweb for years. I like them.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

So to make it Small but Easy

You have eir lines there about up to 100mb, loads of company’s rebuy this line of eir such as digiweb, Vodafone, sky and so on. This is powered via your phone line.

Then you have Siro this is up to 1000mb and Vodafone, sky and digiweb provide this only if your area can get it, myself was going to get Siro however I had no idea that I needed to get a box fitted to my house or daisy chain of my naighbours box and run a cable along there house on to mine. Basically in my area you need a line to come off the esb pole into your house.

Then there is virgin media there speed are up 500mb, they normally have a box like eir in your house and you just need to plug in, nearly all apartments would be fitted with this in the city,

So to cover this Siro isn’t very apartment friendly on less your building is set up for it you might not be able to fit it as after all it’s a new esb line coming into the house,

Must apartments will have eir line or virgin media line fitted into the apartment and is just simple plug your box in once you get it and your good to go,

Myself I have been with virgin about 9 years, there prices can be all over the place but there service is hell of lot better then eir, anyone is better then eir

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I was with VM for a few years but the continual price increases eventually got to me so I picked up a 4G router during the BF sales & got a GoMo SIM. Working fine, you can see my speedtest here & it's only €9.99 a month. 80Gb limit but looks like they've removed that now as they upped the price to €12.99. I don't stream any video so the limit is fine for me.

Had no problem with VM's service it really was just the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

There are three access networks:

1. OpenEir: Mostly using VDSL (up to 100mbit/s - in reality more like 50 to 70) and gigabit FTTH proper fibre to home in a limited number or areas, mostly rural though but it’s expanding.

You can get Eir, Sky, Vodafone, Digiweb and a number or other ISPs though it.

2. Virgin Media - a closed network. Up to 500mbit/s and widely available in the city.

3. Siro - full fibre to go home (FTTH) running fibres along ESB poles and ducts. It’s also an open network, so you can get Vodafone, Digiweb, Sky and a number of others. Fairly big deployment going on in the city.

In order I would go with a gigabit FTTH service and Digiweb as the ISP, or Virgin Media.

If you have to use VDSL, it’s ok but it’s definitely the last choice.

I wouldn’t go near ADSL at all if it’s offered. You’d be better off with a 4G or 5G mobile service than that.

Advertisement