Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 Rules you think would improve the game

• 08-02-2020 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭

If you could change or implement or remove a rule in football then can you think of 3 that would improve the game?

For me...

1. Sin Bins for yellow cards - this has to happen as there are too many counter attacks stopped by players happy to get a yellow with no on field repercussions. Most yellow cards these days are for professional fouls and not for dangerous play.

2. Substitutions during play - There is no reason to be stopping the game for substitutions. Just let the 4th official handle it and remove this unnecessary break in play.

3. Move away immediately - When a free kick is given the team penalised should immediately retreat 10 yards and any delay should result in an advancement of the free kick position 10 yards closer to goal. If there is continued delay then yellow cards and sin bin rules apply.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

re Sin Bin - 15 minutes for two non violent yellows (so called professional fouls, impeding quick free kicks and what falls under discipline issues like kicking ball away, shirt waving etc).

This would be controversial if it happened but I'd like to see the offside rule changed so that if two or more forwards get beyond the last defender the player with the ball can pass forwards.

Multi-ball system - it's used in the UEFA CL and EL comps and Euros why not use it all professional leagues? Granted some laws would need to be implemented so that it wasn't abused by the home side but that's workable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

There should be a 5 or 10 second limit on playing it every time the ball is out of play. Maybe tweaked to when the player involved has it.

Allow play to continue with physios on the pitch.

I like the free kick rule outlined above too.

Basically just enforce the rules that are already there and cut out the time wasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Only the captain gets to talk to the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Re-visit what constitutes a penalty. For some offences (and the place within the box that they occur), a penalty (almost certain goal) is far too harsh a punishment. You can have an innocuous push on the endline, just inside the box that leads to a penalty, yet you can have a player fouled when one on one with the keeper 20 yards fromgoal and it’s a free kick. Would need a lot of research obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

And put a microphone on the ref.

Play continues if a player is getting treated.

Blocking and shielding the ball in the corner should be stopped. An attempt to play the ball should be made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Liam O wrote: »
    Allow play to continue with physios on the pitch.

If I could pick 4 rules then allowing a physio onto the field would be the 4th. Footballers are rarely hurt enough for the assistance of a medical professional. They just do it for attention and a break from play, but mainly to con the referee into believing a challenge was more serious than it actually was.

Allowing the game to carry on will cut out virtually all feigning of injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

For free kicks on the edge of the area teams can move the ball back a yard.

Ban short corners ( the ones that waste time in injury time).

One I heard earlier today ( apparently a rule in basketball).....to stop repeated, cynical fouling....after 5 fouls by a team a player gets sin binned.

One I heard earlier today ( apparently a rule in basketball).....to stop repeated, cynical fouling....after 5 fouls by a team a player gets sin binned.

I haven’t watched basketball since i was a kid but i think accumulation of fouls gets you permanently benched. You get replaced by someone else.

I stand to be corrected on that. It’s like in a Sunday league match when the ref tells a manager to take a player off before he sends him off. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Let the players be able to pick up the ball but they can only throw it backwards etc.

Really though, 3 challenges a coach can make to check VAR, if they're right they keep the challenge, this will let the game run so smoother

eigrod wrote: »
    Re-visit what constitutes a penalty. For some offences (and the place within the box that they occur), a penalty (almost certain goal) is far too harsh a punishment. You can have an innocuous push on the endline, just inside the box that leads to a penalty, yet you can have a player fouled when one on one with the keeper 20 yards fromgoal and it’s a free kick. Would need a lot of research obviously.

Interesting.

It probably boils down to the concept of denying a goal scoring opportunity. If a player is deemed to be through on goal or about to shoot then a foul anywhere on the pitch is a penalty regardless if it is in the box or ten yards outside.

Wish someone would pull up a video of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s finest moment in a United shirt when he chopped down a Newcastle player about 30 yards from goal in an effort to save a one on one. Straight red card. It was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

GSPfan wrote: »
    If you could change or implement or remove a rule in football then can you think of 3 that would improve the game?

For me...

1. Sin Bins for yellow cards - this has to happen as there are too many counter attacks stopped by players happy to get a yellow with no on field repercussions. Most yellow cards these days are for professional fouls and not for dangerous play.

2. Substitutions during play - There is no reason to be stopping the game for substitutions. Just let the 4th official handle it and remove this unnecessary break in play.

3. Move away immediately - When a free kick is given the team penalised should immediately retreat 10 yards and any delay should result in an advancement of the free kick position 10 yards closer to goal. If there is continued delay then yellow cards and sin bin rules apply.

3rd one was tried and done away with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

30 min halves. Stop clock when ball out of play. Time wasters removed from the game. Keepers getting cramp when their team is winning is no longer relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Opposition players, who give away a free or throw in etc, shouldn't be allowed touch the ball after committing the infringement/giving away the throw. No more of this pick up the ball, run 10 yards and throw it back stuff. Would also penalise players who commit cynical fouls on the break more, when they can't waste even more time or risk being booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

].

Multi-ball system - it's used in the UEFA CL and EL comps and Euros why not use it all professional leagues? Granted some laws would need to be implemented so that it wasn't abused by the home side but that's workable.

I'd go one further. Real multi ball. Each team has a ball. Different colours. You can only score with your own ball. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Not a new rule but actually the implementation of the 6 second rule, the amount of time lost from goalkeepers timewasting with the balls in their hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

2 points for a liverpool win. might keep it interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    2 points for a liverpool win. might keep it interesting

Think this season you'd need more of a handicap than just one point deductions. League should have a mercy rule where the rest of the clubs can just tap out.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

1) no points for a nil nil in league competitions. You don't start the game with a point, you should have to earn it.

2) letting us hear the refs and their discussions with the players. I know we would hear a lot of cursing to begin with, but once a few players have been shamed for their conduct, and they know everything they say is public, it wouldn't be long before they behave.

3) the ref to get respect like in rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

revise the offside rule, should be daylight between the players for an offside, no more armpit rulings

scrap the transfer deadline Sky talk about it a month before and 2 weeks after it happen and they do it twice a year

VAR on diving the week after the match, 3 judges majority rule 10 match ban

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Get rid of offside rule completely it would halve the number of controversial decisions. I know it would change things completely but the game would adapt

Agree with stopping the clock when the ball is out of play, injuries etc

Get rid of throw ins let them kick it

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    1) no points for a nil nil in league competitions. You don't start the game with a point, you should have to earn it.

2) letting us hear the refs and their discussions with the players. I know we would hear a lot of cursing to begin with, but once a few players have been shamed for their conduct, and they know everything they say is public, it wouldn't be long before they behave.

3) the ref to get respect like in rugby.

A bit hard to draw and yet get no more points than a defeat! I'd go for.

Loss -1 point
    draw 0 point
    win 2 points

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

This a million times over, and sanctions for bad language etc towards the officials

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

mark_jmc wrote: »
    This a million times over, and sanctions for bad language etc towards the officials

These rules are already in place, you just don't see them enforced enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

A bit hard to draw and yet get no more points than a defeat! I'd go for.

Loss -1 point
    draw 0 point
    win 2 points

Is that not the exact same as today? 3 points difference between win and loss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

joe_99 wrote: »
    Is that not the exact same as today? 3 points difference between win and loss?

The difference is correct, but losing a game doesn't give you -1 currently.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The difference is correct, but losing a game doesn't give you -1 currently.

But it's still the same.

You lose, you lose a point. Your rival draws they don't gain a point. They gain one point on you, still the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

But it's still the same.

You lose, you lose a point. Your rival draws they don't gain a point. They gain one point on you, still the same.

Doh! You're right wasn't taking the draw as 0 into account.

Yes you're right of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Deliberate tactical fouls = straight red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

One of the ugliest things in football is that short corner staying right at the corner flag in the final minutes to kill time, so I'd ban short corners - nobody can go inside the line, not just defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

GSPfan wrote: »
    I haven’t watched basketball since i was a kid but i think accumulation of fouls gets you permanently benched. You get replaced by someone else.

I stand to be corrected on that. It’s like in a Sunday league match when the ref tells a manager to take a player off before he sends him off. :)

Ahhh, this takes me back, would happen all the time, I got chopped down one time, turned around and tried to hit the guy, missed...ref knew me and said to relax a little, some great refereeing

I’ll throw a radical rule change in that I reckon everyone disagrees with but it is in the interest of improving the game I swear.

Ban slide tackling - They cause more injuries than they are worth, they actually break legs. They are a frequent cause of referee stoppages in games and they stop attacking football therefore robbing us of goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Scrap extra time and replays in all instances.

Straight to penalties in knockout games. Force teams to try and win games to go through, none of this holding out for extra time or holding out for a replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

8-10 wrote: »
    Scrap extra time and replays in all instances.

Straight to penalties in knockout games. Force teams to try and win games to go through, none of this holding out for extra time or holding out for a replay.

Surely that just encourages teams as they have to "hold out" for less time? :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Too many rules are created to favour attacking football.

Whoever is closest to a throw in for their team has to take it. So much time is wasted at throw-ins leaving it to another player or creeping up the touchline.

Cornerkicks must go ten yards before being touched

Scrap VAR, bring in retrospective action panel for diving, foul play with no appeal process.

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »

Scrap VAR, bring in retrospective action panel for diving, foul play with no appeal process.

Other teams benefit from retrospective action , whereas the team the incident is against loses out.

Not much use when you're in a relegation battle if you getting beaten by a team in a close game. They get a dodgy goal to win it then your rival gets a boost the following week cos the player and s banned against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

1. Bonus points for every 3 goals scored. If a game finishes 4-3, the winners get 4pts and the losers 1pt. Attacking football is rewarded.

2. Referees must make themselves available for interview after games. If they're professional, they're accountable.

3. Sin Bin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Other teams benefit from retrospective action , whereas the team the incident is against loses out.

Not much use when you're in a relegation battle if you getting beaten by a team in a close game. They get a dodgy goal to win it then your rival gets a boost the following week cos the player and s banned against them.

There's no getting around that, even with VAR as we are seeing...controversial important goals are being given or ruled out. Once VAR gives it or doesn't, then it is supposedly settled and there are no repercussions.

Retrospective action has the time to decide in the cold light of day with the whole spectrum of punishments open to them, including harsh bans and point deductions as appropriate..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

1. Zero tolerance for diving.
    2. More subs allowed - up it to 5.
    3. Zero tolerance for getting in their face and roaring at the ref.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    1. Zero tolerance for diving.
    2. More subs allowed - up it to 5.
    3. Zero tolerance for getting in their face and roaring at the ref.

I'd go less subs, we never get to see outfield players going in goal anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

If an outfield player handles the ball on the line when it is clearly going in, the goal should be awarded and a yellow card to the player in question, the current rule potentially rewards players for taking the risk, they wouldn't take one for the team if they changed it to that.

If an outfield player handles the ball on the line when it is clearly going in, the goal should be awarded and a yellow card to the player in question, the current rule potentially rewards players for taking the risk, they wouldn't take one for the team if they changed it to that.

I can only think of one example of this happening and it was 10 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The clock only ticks when the ball in play. Change the time per half to compensate; something similar to actual playing time now, 35 minutes per half or so.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

8-10 wrote: »
    I can only think of one example of this happening and it was 10 years ago

Imagine another incident like that happens in the Champions League final, is it not better to have a fairer rule in place that resolves it there and then, instead of a controversy people spend weeks talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A cynical/intentional foul results in a sin bin and a free kick in the position of the victims choice.

The clock to be stopped for injuries/subs/var etc and controlled by the 4th official. The game can only end when the ball is out of play.

0 Points awarded for a 0-0 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Imagine another incident like that happens in the Champions League final, is it not better to have a fairer rule in place that resolves it there and then, instead of a controversy people spend weeks talking about.

You just open the game to a different set of potential controversy, when one handball is given as a goal whilst another similar one is given as a penalty that gets missed.
    Because in the latter case the offending player wasn't quite 'on the line' as you defined the rule, instead he was 2cm ahead of it. Or the ref wasn't 100% sure that the ball was going in regardless.

Anyway, I like that in soccer you have to definitely get the ball over the line to score a goal, I'd hate if it went the way of the penalty try thing in rugby.

There would still be controversy and discussion because it happens so rarely that nobody would know what the rule is.

If it happened in a big game everybody would be discussing it for weeks asking why it wasn't a red card and why the rule is like it is.

And god forbid it's not clear cut that the ball.is actually going in or that the handball isn't decisively deliberate...

No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The clock only ticks when the ball in play. Change the time per half to compensate; something similar to actual playing time now, 35 minutes per half or so.

They were talking about this quite seriously a couple of years ago, not sure what ever happened but it went quiet

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/17/football-rule-makers-reducing-games-60-minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

They were talking about this quite seriously a couple of years ago, not sure what ever happened but it went quiet

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/17/football-rule-makers-reducing-games-60-minutes

Have you every tried to ref a game? Stop starting will only work if there is another official there to keep time. FIFA are trying as best they can to have the laws of the game at all levels the same. Stop starting time would not really work at lower levels

There was a West Brom v Stoke premier league game a few years ago where the ball was in play for less than 45mins of a 90min game

• Advertisement
Advertisement