Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PBP expel Joe Loughnane for assaulting woman

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Delighted see him get so little support from the voters.

Well done Galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

Interesting discussions happening on Twitter. Loughnane's inner circle who knew about his temper and aggressive nature but remained silent "for the good of the party" need to be ostracized also. There is no room for this type of bullying and misogyny in politics.

https://twitter.com/NoraBarnacle3/status/1226492122322345985

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I didn't defend anyone. Joe is disliked intensely by many on here because he has a Pakistani parent and stands firmly and strongly against racism, islamophobia, xenophobia.
    What about misogyny, drug dealing and violent behaviour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

coinop wrote: »
    If there is one takeaway message from this whole incident it's to be very weary of "male feminists". They almost always have ulterior motives for their activism. A man can support women from the sideline without invading their spaces and making themselves the center of attention.
    Totally.
    men cannot be feminists.
    They can ally with women (eg as supporting and defending their right to congregate and organise to discuss issues affecting women) but they can never be feminist.

Never trust a man who proclaims he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Sorry you feel that way but we're on the same side.

We're not on the same side. You made a snide dig about how we should take Loughnane's cultural background into account when discussing his behaviour. I don't know if you've ever been to Galway, but I have, and I can confirm that people there don't behave like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Much needed cleanup on aisle 5, thankfully.

And another one needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Interesting discussions happening on Twitter. Loughnane's inner circle who knew about his temper and aggressive nature but remained silent "for the good of the party" need to be ostracized also. There is no room for this type of bullying and misogyny in politics.

https://twitter.com/NoraBarnacle3/status/1226492122322345985

mildy fascinated with that twitter feed, been going through it and she (if it is a she) seems to hate everything and everyone, right or left.
    Not that she hasn't got a point here, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Why were my posts deleted?

Why were my posts deleted?

i think the person you were replying to was deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭creeper1

alastair wrote: »
    Joe Loughnane was born and bred in Galway. He’s Irish, and to be specific, a Galwegian. Just for additional clarity, Leo Varadkar is a Dubliner.

Both of those are Irish like I'm Chinese.

creeper1 wrote: »

Nope, you weren’t born and raised in China with Chinese nationality. So, not really anything alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bill 2.0

PBP are the party you join when you are somehow too toxic for SF to accept you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,590 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Ni hao

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

So you were born in China, lived your life in China, speak the lingo, and one of your parents in Chinese?

Having read most of this thread it seems to me there's a cohort on here that want to go on the attack of the "other side" as a sort of tacit non-defence "defence" of bully boy Joe without actually defending him... "No one is defending him" they say. Bloody semantics and deflection is their primary input.

It's almost as if they want no discussion of him on a discussion board - Completely anti-democratic.

"Why is there even a thread on him?" etc....
    "He's a virtual nobody" etc so "Why bother starting a thread on him?"
    Mentioning names of those on the "other side" (some of whom could also be considered "nobodies") ; at least one of which has on ongoing thread about her on this site is considered acceptable apparently.

Should not all mention of her belong in that thread because in this poster's opinion that's how things are supposed to work ie "there's an ongoing thread on that person so confine all discussion about her to the dedicated thread." Not so it seems in this case. Maybe there's an exemption for those who are considered "woke" to those rules.

Leah Doherty and Fiona Pettit O'Leary are disgusting vile people as well; who are also worthy of mention if others are fair game in that case.

Sickening that the actions of "Joe's side" are deemed comparable to words - keep Ireland Irish and no more immigration etc are not the same as assault; not to me anyway.

Haven't seen much about Gemma or Dara or Rowan or Niall or John Waters getting up in people's faces in an aggressive manner or throwing substances all over people they disagree with.... or worse. The majority of them come across as fairly placid most of the time and don't engage in the level of ranting and histrionics as Joe and his like who thinks it's okay to use violence to "fight the fash" as it were.

Joe is not a nobody - he's done a pretty good job of making himself known.

So why all the consternation from the usual suspects? Are they friends of his? Are they aligned with him politically? Is there another reason?
    A bit of transparency from them wouldn't go amiss.

For those who think people "shouldn't care" about a "virtual nobody" they certainly seem to care enough to keep posting and responding.

This level of hypocrisy has gotten me annoyed enough to post on this topic only the once.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If there is one takeaway message from this whole incident it's to be very weary of "male feminists". They almost always have ulterior motives for their activism. A man can support women from the sideline without invading their spaces and making themselves the center of attention.

zHEbj9d.png

I'm also very weary of people who post stonetoss comics

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Gemma, Dara, Rowan, Niall, John Waters are placid non agressive people who dont rant. This is deluded nonsense, absolutely hilarious fake news and propaganda.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Having read most of this thread it seems to me there's a cohort on here that want to go on the attack of the "other side" as a sort of tacit non-defence "defence" of bully boy Joe without actually defending him... "No one is defending him" they say. Bloody semantics and deflection is their primary input.

It's almost as if they want no discussion of him on a discussion board - Completely anti-democratic.

Completely nonsensical argument.
    I’m not fond of that old chestnut ‘triggered’, but if the cap fits....

‘Non-defence of poor behaviour by individual is actually devious defence, and (somehow?) impedes democracy’

Gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm also very weary of people who post stonetoss comics

As much as comics dont really explain the complicated nuances of some topics , in general stonestoss is on the ball and that particular one is correct for this scenario.

There was a candidate who helped found the feminist society at my former university who ran in an election under the pbp banner who was also known for sending women unsolicited pictures of his genitals and being quite innapropriate. Common theme

• Advertisement

As much as comics dont really explain the complicated nuances of some topics , in general stonestoss is on the ball and that particular one is correct for this scenario.

There was a candidate who helped found the feminist society at my former university who ran in an election under the pbp banner who was also known for sending women unsolicited pictures of his genitals and being quite innapropriate. Common theme

Cool story bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Didn't even know he had a Pakistani blood line until Joey mentioned it! I disliked the creep since I Saw him stand up and shout at the lecturer and he kept popping up over the years! But of course the lads are on here trying to change this into a race thing. He has got away with being a bully for far to long and but his abusive behaviour has finally caught up with him.
    One things for certain he sure has a lot of pals on boards, trying to blame everyone else for his actions. I wouldn't be surprised if he is posting on this very thread!

But outside of the forums and the same few lads here claiming hes super popular he clearly doesnt. Unless they all forgot to vote :pac:

Again some people try to act like he is in anyway relevant for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

There's a delicious irony in this thread.

One the one hand you've got people pointing out the abuse aimed at him is because he's a horrible person, and on the other hand you have people saying it's thrown at him because he's Pakistani.

I don't know why you're arguing, because it really is a bit of both. There is absolutely a racist component in the comments made about him, but it's also totally safe to say people just don't like his political views.

I'm no fan of the Israeli actions in Palestine, but I have no issue with Jewish people. He's a bullying dickhead, but just because he's on the Left doesn't mean everyone on the left agrees with him, honestly I'd barely heard about the man.

It's just like being right wing, you can be a conservative and not like Trump or Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Sickening that the actions of "Joe's side" are deemed comparable to words - keep Ireland Irish and no more immigration etc are not the same as assault; not to me anyway.

I kind of agree with you although I know Joe only by threads here and he seems to be a thug. But the nationalists seem harmless just incredibly dim.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I kind of agree with you although I know Joe only by threads here and he seems to be a thug. But the nationalists seem harmless just incredibly dim.

Yeah harmless apart from inciting the burning of hotels etc. I would say it's the opposite, they're harmful but a lot smarter about it than idiots like Loughane. The likes of O'Doherty and Croft seem to instinctively know how to stay just on the right side of legality, which is why people are pleading for some better hate crime laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Was this the lad from Trinity?

FTA69 wrote: »
    Was this the lad from Trinity?

No, but if there was another case of this then do tell us more , interesting how theres a pattern

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

He's up there with Gemma O'Doherty as the kind of shyte-talking extreme loon that is happily very uncommon in Irish politics, but whose critics like to portray as quite common, or even typical, of people of a particular political ideology.

No, but if there was another case of this then do tell us more , interesting how theres a pattern

A ‘pattern’ comprised of precisely zero components.

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    A ‘pattern’ comprised of precisely zero components.

Well were up to 3 pbp approved candidates now if that other posters story is correct.

For someone who doesnt care about joe loughnanne and keeps saying he’s an unknown and an outlier, you sure do care a lot about us talking about him and other pbp women abusers.

Advertisement