Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will be the next FG leader?

Options
  • 08-02-2020 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭

Assuming FG get creamed in the election today the party will be looking for a new leader that can rebuild the party. Pascal O Donoghue has ruled himself out though he might change his mind if/when the job is up for grabs. The minister for no housing & homelessness, Eoghan Murphy might not even be re elected today.

Who could you see as the new FG leader? I'm thinking Simon Coveney assuming he is re elected today

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Assuming FG get creamed in the election today the party will be looking for a new leader that can rebuild the party. Pascal O Donoghue has ruled himself out though he might change his mind if/when the job is up for grabs. The minister for no housing & homelessness, Eoghan Murphy might not even be re elected today.

Who could you see as the new FG leader? I'm thinking Simon Coveney assuming he is re elected today

I wonder does Coveney want to lead a diminished FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,088 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Micheál Martin presided over the two worst results ever for FF. Reducing them from a 70 plus seat party to also rans. The only leader who failed to stop a two in a row FG led government. If FF fail again this time he will have to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Micheál Martin presided over the two worst results ever for FF. Reducing them from a 70 plus seat party to also rans. The only leader who failed to stop a two in a row FG led government. If FF fail again this time he will have to go.

Well he's 1/25 to be the next taoiseach so I doubt that'll arise somehow

Well he's 1/25 to be the next taoiseach so I doubt that'll arise somehow

I suppose it just shows that there is nobody of the calibre of Bertie or Charlie who could replace him. He really has the most dismal record in elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Coveney defended Bailey rendering him unfit to lead imo.

Donohue I guess...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Coveney defended Bailey rendering him unfit to lead imo.

Donohue I guess...

the bailey thing was hyped out of all proportion and then some

shes the butt of jokes for the rest of her life but nobody gives a damn about who defended her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭moby2101

HAS to be Coveney, he should have been elected leader of the party last time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Varadkar has been a shambles

what is it about coveney that has fg members worried about putting him front and centre

anything in his past or his familys past? one wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Mad_maxx wrote: »

shes the butt of jokes for the rest of her life but nobody gives a damn about who defended her

Tell that to the thousands of businesses up and down the country trying to meet increased insurance payments. It was/is an issue and he should have kept his trap shut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Depends on who Dinny wants

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

what is it about coveney that has fg members worried about putting him front and centre

anything in his past or his familys past? one wonders.

How his dad died?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Mad_maxx wrote: »

I'd have agreed with you if Leo hadn't of ran a high profile campaign about cheaters cheating is all ref Dole scammers, yet he was willing to turn a blind eye to essentially the same thing by one of his own TD (s) and ministers.

Insurance fraud is no joke, there's businesses shutting up and down the country due to spiralling premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

moby2101 wrote: »
    HAS to be Coveney, he should have been elected leader of the party last time around.

maybe so, they need a proper leader and NONE of the current faces of FG are it! They need a proper hardliner, someone not afraid to get down and dirty, not what they currently have!

Assuming FG get creamed in the election today the party will be looking for a new leader that can rebuild the party.

Depends on your definition of 'get creamed' of course, but I don't think this is necessarily the case. If FG find themselves propping up a minority FF government, I don't think the impetus will be there for a leadership change, assuming Varadkar wants to stay on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Depends on your definition of 'get creamed' of course, but I don't think this is necessarily the case. If FG find themselves propping up a minority FF government, I don't think the impetus will be there for a leadership change, assuming Varadkar wants to stay on.

We'll see what the exit polls say but FF & SF is a more likely scenario imo

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Stewball

marvin80 wrote: »
    Varadkar has been a shambles

He was terrible as a minister before he became the leader - you'd wonder why the majority in the party couldn't see it.

How much of their thought process was influenced by him being gay, a son of immigrants and trying to show the world how progressive they/we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I always taught Richard Bruton would have made a capable leader but that boat surely has sailed !!!
    Pascal Donoghue came from nowhere to be one of our finest ministers of finance surely he has to be in the running comes across as a man of the people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Stewball wrote: »
    He was terrible as a minister before he became the leader - you'd wonder why the majority in the party couldn't see it.

How much of their thought process was influenced by him being gay, a son of immigrants and trying to show the world how progressive they/we are.

The majority wanted Coveny. The shadowy dark figures in cravats wanted Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Idbatterim wrote: »
    maybe so, they need a proper leader and NONE of the current faces of FG are it! They need a proper hardliner, someone not afraid to get down and dirty, not what they currently have!

Anyone like that would be crucified by the media, who have a massive influence on the general population

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I could be totally wrong but get a feeling that FG don't care if they are not in power for a while. Jaded maybe, and also letting others try to achieve what they have been vilified for NOT achieving could be great ammo from the opposition benches.

We'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Idbatterim wrote: »

What makes you think the Irish electorate will suddenly start voting for a 'hardliner'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I could be totally wrong but get a feeling that FG don't care if they are not in power for a while. Jaded maybe, and also letting others try to achieve what they have been vilified for NOT achieving could be great ammo from the opposition benches.

We'll see.

Surely if FG have the interests of the people at heart they would be happy if some other party had the vision and ability to achieve what they failed to do. Isn't the function of government to make the lives of its citizens as good as possible?

As for the OP, Paschal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Eoghan Murphy could be a great leader

Eoghan Murphy could be a great leader

It will be enough of a challenge for him to get re-elected.

cute geoge wrote: »
    I always taught Richard Bruton would have made a capable leader but that boat surely has sailed !!!
    Pascal Donoghue came from nowhere to be one of our finest ministers of finance surely he has to be in the running comes across as a man of the people

I suppose the big question over him is whether they want another Dublin leader

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What makes you think the Irish electorate will suddenly start voting for a 'hardliner'?

well their voters are deserting them, because they got a yes man sock puppet!

FG went down to 31 seats in 2002 under Noonan and he resigned. But the new leadership did not get them into power until 2011, so it might have been better for him to stay. They have remained in power since 2011, getting two consecutive governments for the first time ever. But that is down to the very weak leadership of FF, as much as anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭antimatterx

It will be enough of a challenge for him to get re-elected.

He'll get in with little trouble tomorrow!

• Advertisement

He'll get in with little trouble tomorrow!

Of course he will. Although I'd be surprised if anyone in his area remembers him as he's gone into hiding since the election was called.

Advertisement