Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will be the next FG leader?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I'll be the leader, shur I might aswell give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Varadkar has done well, don't know why he's getting a hard time here. Did well in the debates. But he should be more like his Young FG days.

People are angry at FG due to an ECB decision to print money, which is ultimately what is responsible for the soaring house prices in Dublin. And if they want someone local to be angry at, start with DCC and their ridiculous height limits and planning laws. In fact Varadkar should have used the airtime to really pummel the local councils for their failure at planning, but he didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Varadkar has done well, don't know why he's getting a hard time here. Did well in the debates. But he should be more like his Young FG days.

People are angry at FG due to an ECB decision to print money, which is ultimately what is responsible for the soaring house prices in Dublin. And if they want someone local to be angry at, start with DCC and their ridiculous height limits and planning laws. In fact Varadkar should have used the airtime to really pummel the local councils for their failure at planning, but he didn't.

What utter nonsense. You registered today to spout that?

What utter nonsense. You registered today to spout that?

Anything constructive to say or just name calling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

He didn't call any names . He did ask a question though ....

• Advertisement

Name calling, where?

Bullocks wrote: »
    He didn't call any names . He did ask a question though ....

The question being did i register today, yes. Not very relevant to the topic though. Not a very bright question.

The question being did i register today, yes. Not very relevant to the topic though. Not a very bright question.

He didn't ask when you registered , it was did you register to spout about Varadakar having done well .

How bright is it to accuse someone of name calling when the claim is obviously false?

Ok Shinners, toddle along. That cheap house you've been looking for is coming for you any day now.

• Advertisement

Ok Shinners, toddle along. That cheap house you've been looking for is coming for you any day now.

Salty. lol.

The "Shinner " was very close to the bottom of my ballot paper .You're assumption that I'm a shinner ,PTD is a name caller and Varadakar did well are all completely wrong

Salty. lol.

You'll be able to move out from under the Mammy any day now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 backslapper

Too Much Baggage with Coveney with his family (Dad & Ansbacher etc.) to be leader, I'll have a punt on PP but not on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Stewball

Let it all out Fred before the exit poll is revealed.

All that anger and stress build up wouldn't be good for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

I suppose it just shows that there is nobody of the calibre of Bertie or Charlie who could replace him. He really has the most dismal record in elections.

Oh what wonderfully transparent and righteous leaders they were. Shame we (a nation) suffer from a worrying degree of short term memory issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Idbatterim wrote: »
    well their voters are deserting them, because they got a yes man sock puppet!

I don't think that's why voters are deserting them. Hardliners tend not to do well in Irish politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

For all Varadkar's stiff demeanor he's way better in interviews than Coveney. I'm not saying Coveney is incompetent but he comes across as a bit weak and slow. Unfortunately perceptions matter when it comes to leaders.

Bullocks wrote: »
    The "Shinner " was very close to the bottom of my ballot paper .You're assumption that I'm a shinner ,PTD is a name caller and Varadakar did well are all completely wrong

Don't really care who or what you are, you're not that important believe it or not. Varadkar did very well. Deal with it. Young people are just stupidly laying blame for the housing crisis on the national government when in fact it's the lefty led DCC that are to blame. Christy "one of our own" and co. DCC are bringing ABP to court over Spencer Place apartments. DCC want fewer apartments built there than ABP allowed. There's your housing crisis in a nutshell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,089 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Varadkar has had a bad campaign, but I don't think it would have been much better under Coveney who is safe but uncharismatic (like a young Enda Kenny). People are unhappy about the housing and health issues and want a change. FF have barely capitalised on this which suggest MM is not exactly the messiah we're looking for but he'll get the job by default because he's not Leo.

If Varadkar can cling onto the FG job after defeat I wouldn't rule out him leading a comeback. FF and Martin are uninspiring, and whatever coalition they cobble together may not last long. Leo would possibly be better suited to being leader of the opposition, making snappy soundbites and blurting out his opinions without having to actually make policies that work.

• Advertisement

Don't really care who or what you are, you're not that important believe it or not. Varadkar did very well. Deal with it. Young people are just stupidly laying blame for the housing crisis on the national government when in fact it's the lefty led DCC that are to blame. Christy "one of our own" and co. DCC are bringing ABP to court over Spencer Place apartments. DCC want fewer apartments built there than ABP allowed. There's your housing crisis in a nutshell.
    I'm just as very important or not important at all as you are , that's what I believe .
    I don't have a housing crisis , cleared the mortgage 2 years ago .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

loyatemu wrote: »
    Varadkar has had a bad campaign, but I don't think it would have been much better under Coveney who is safe but uncharismatic (like a young Enda Kenny). People are unhappy about the housing and health issues and want a change. FF have barely capitalised on this which suggest MM is not exactly the messiah we're looking for but he'll get the job by default because he's not Leo.

The HSE is MMs legacy. So it's hard to see how he'll be a catalyst for change for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Ringer

Just a question Fred is arrogance a prerequisite to allow one become a supporter of FG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,089 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

lawred2 wrote: »
    The HSE is MMs legacy. So it's hard to see how he'll be a catalyst for change for the better.

Health is a black hole, and has been for decades. It would be harsh to judge any minister on their record in that dept as not one of them has ever managed to get on top of it. The HSE has been a disaster but it wasn't created on a whim, the old Health Board system was also terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ringer

Certainly kill all those accusations of an FG anti-rural bias:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Coveney should of got leader. Leo got it because he was gay and Ireland wanted to be woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Certainly kill all those accusations of an FG anti-rural bias

Anyone who can swing a motorway between Westport and Castlebar and make Pee Flynn and Enda look like they did nothing for mayo deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

Whilst watching the coverage of the General Election results on RTE, I noticed that one of the panelists was John Bowman - former host of the Monday evening political programme Questions And Answers. The programme ran until 2009, before being replaced by The Frontline (hosted by Pat Kenny) followed by Claire Byrne Live.

Why am I posting the above on this thread? Because I have just discovered that the current FG leader was a member of the Q&A audience 7 years before he was elected as a TD - see here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

WhiteMan32 wrote:
    Why am I posting the above on this thread? Because I have just discovered that the current FG leader was a member of the Q&A audience 7 years before he was elected as a TD -

The Q&A audience is usually full of party members from all the parties. My father in law is a member of FG. He was invited to attend several times. Most current affairs programmes will be packed with party members.

Advertisement