Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worried about money and spending habits, would appreciate some advice?

• 08-02-2020 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice please.

In the last while, I have become quite concerned about my spending habits, I am currently participating in a C.E. Scheme and receive a wage of €225.50 per week.
    However, I feel that I just end up spending any money that I do earn on useless rubbish, what you might call impulse buying. However, it is rarely ever spent on myself, rather I try to be generous to my family in exchange for living at home. It's like I actually can't stop myself. That being said I do have quite a bit of savings in the bank from my previous jobs, I deliberately don't touch any of my money in the bank, and use my saved up JobSeekers Allowance from my time out of work for any bit of shopping for myself, should this be some lunch or other items.
    I guess one could say I am too nice and too generous, and kind of feel like I 'owe' people because I feel guilty for being under everyone's feet at home. I offer to pay rent, but am declined, so I chip in for petrol every week. I also cannot drive at the moment, but am taking lessons, and that too, does n't come cheaply.

I guess I'm looking for advice on managing my spending in general, so that I don't ever feel tempted to impulse buy again.

Any advice?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

You could physically just put some money into the bank/savings account so you don't spend it, whether it's 10, 20, 25 etc.

You could also get an app that tracks your spending, it might make you less prone to buy crap.

Is there any areas you think you could save money? Such as lunches, takeaways and coffee?
    If you always buy lunch, perhaps make a lunch 2 days a week. Bring your own coffee etc

Do you pay any subscriptions that you rarely use? Cancel them if so.

No need to be too frugal, just make a conscience effort to know where your money is being spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭I am me123

Oranage2 wrote: »
    You could physically just put some money into the bank/savings account so you don't spend it, whether it's 10, 20, 25 etc.

You could also get an app that tracks your spending, it might make you less prone to buy crap.

Is there any areas you think you could save money? Such as lunches, takeaways and coffee?
    If you always buy lunch, perhaps make a lunch 2 days a week. Bring your own coffee etc

Do you pay any subscriptions that you rarely use? Cancel them if so.

No need to be too frugal, just make a conscience effort to know where your money is being spent.

Thank you so much for the reply.
    I always feel so guilty when I take out any cash I put away from my JobSeekers days and end up spending it on crap, I know my family think I have no sense when it comes to spending money, and yes I know they're right..and say money doesnt grow on trees, once its spent its gone'.
    I also have immense guilt that at present, I don't have a "proper job', yes I have the CE Scheme, and its wages every week, but Im currently changing my career path & trying to get new qualifications & work experience so its like Im trying to start everything over again after spending 4 years in college earning a degree that employers didnt even value. Im so frustrated & feel like a failure.

I am me123 wrote: »
    I guess I'm looking for advice on managing my spending in general, so that I don't ever feel tempted to impulse buy again.

Temptation is an impulse; you can't consciously stop it.

But you're a human being with the conscious ability to react to an impulse however you like. If you feel tempted to buy something, catch yourself and consciously assess it. If your only reason to go give in is 'ah sure why not' or 'oh well I'm buying it for someone else', that's not good enough. Just try to come up with a good reason for buying what you're buying, and assess whether or not you might actually get more satisfaction from resisting temptation.

Maybe over time as you get used to spending less, the temptation will go away because it wont be as natural a reaction.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I am me123 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for the reply.
    I always feel so guilty when I take out any cash I put away from my JobSeekers days and end up spending it on crap, I know my family think I have no sense when it comes to spending money, and yes I know they're right..and say money doesnt grow on trees, once its spent its gone'.
    I also have immense guilt that at present, I don't have a "proper job', yes I have the CE Scheme, and its wages every week, but Im currently changing my career path & trying to get new qualifications & work experience so its like Im trying to start everything over again after spending 4 years in college earning a degree that employers didnt even value. Im so frustrated & feel like a failure.

There's no need to feel like a failure about that. Turn your thoughts around in a positive direction, you are enhancing your qualifications. Lots of people do. They go one direction and something is not for them, so they try something else. That's a good thing. Well done for having the courage to change direction.

In relation to spending and saving, there's a good website called askaboutmoney.com with lots of helpful financial advice. It might be worth a look.

All the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭I am me123

There's no need to feel like a failure about that. Turn your thoughts around in a positive direction, you are enhancing your qualifications. Lots of people do. They go one direction and something is not for them, so they try something else. That's a good thing. Well done for having the courage to change direction.

In relation to spending and saving, there's a good website called askaboutmoney.com with lots of helpful financial advice. It might be worth a look.

All the best.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement