Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Go Home Paddy Cat!!

Seeing FF enjoying such auspicious results in the exit poll is like a sick joke.

We need to replace democracy with epistocracy in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

McMurphy wrote: »
    FF/FG might have to hold their noses and go into a coalition agreement maybe with rotating Taoiseach?

SF in the main opposition seats.

Otherwise it's back to the polls in the next short while.

SF in a win win situation here no matter what.

Imagine another election, where at coujd run more candidates and the the fact that now have the foot firmly on ffg neck !

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KD11

ismat wrote: »
    I’ll be just fine. You will have the problem if Sinn Fein ever get into power as they will destroy the country economically. Miheal will be the next Taoiseach and the recevery will continue

Miheal was one of those responsible for us being in recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭This is it

Another election and SF will gain a few more points you'd think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

griffin100 wrote: »
    You do realise you live in one of the most left wing countries in the world? Over 25% of all tax take / >€20bn a year spent on the welfare budget.

indeed. I was referring to the quoted poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

22% for SF!!!! What the f is wrong with the Irish ????

Exactly, what's wrong with the 78% that were too spineless to vote for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Any chance of A FG/SF coalition or agreement? It would be my preferred choice of government.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

We all have a responsibility to ensure people do not harm themselves by being incapable of exercising their democratic franchise. A referendum would be a quick fix, not necessarily for the long term. Better education, formal courses on the reponsibility democracy comes with, etc, could also avoid this type of tragedy. Raising it to 25 would at least curtail the damage for the short term though.

You are going on the premise that it’s under 25’s driving this Sinn Fein momentum.

I have to say in my experience to hear my parents going Sinn Fein is strange. Something has happened here and it will become clearer what is driving that once more data comes out.

I don’t think it’s just under 25’s. Really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

griffin100 wrote: »
    You do realise you live in one of the most left wing countries in the world? Over 25% of all tax take / >€20bn a year spent on the welfare budget.

I do. Part of the reason fg are losing seats!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Seeing FF enjoying such auspicious results in the exit poll is like a sick joke.

We need to replace democracy with epistocracy in this country.

It's same percentage vote as they got last time. FF have stood still and gone nowhere.
    Michael will be taking the rap for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Any chance of A FG/SF coalition or agreement? It would be my preferred choice of government.

Can't see that. In order of likelihood it's FF SF, FF FG and FG SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Nermal

Edgware wrote: »
    In 1977 you had three parties.
    Now you have 7 and indos

Indeed. High time to switch to FPTP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Hurrache wrote: »
    I've heard a few vox pops asking this age range as to where they get their information on politics and what makes them decide who to vote for. Pretty much all say social media. They're ripe for manipulation and misinformation. One girl, without a hint of embarrassment, when asked why when she said she'll vote for SF, said it was the result of a Facebook survey/quiz thing she did.
    Hard to take you serious when you don't know it's a vox pop.
    It's probably most likely she was talking about whichcandidate.ie it's a handy indicator of who your views might fit with.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

GDK_11 wrote: »
    As a Brit living in Ireland the SF vote reminds me so much of the Brexit vote back in the uk. Neither manifesto remotely adds up and I feel like people know that half of what is promised won’t be close to being delivered but I guess it’s a protest vote. Interestingly lots of young ones on the vote

.... waits for my first Brits out

You're right. It's a protest vote. I gave them my first pref vote. Though I did so knowing they wont get into power, so in that way it is unlike Brexit. It's not at about nationalism. FF&FG need a shock to their system

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

FF. FG. GP. to keep SF down for four years

flexcon wrote: »
    You are going on the premise that it’s under 25’s driving this Sinn Fein momentum.

I have to say in my experience to hear my parents going Sinn Fein is strange. Something has happened here and it will become clearer what is driving that once more data comes out.

It isn't sure the percentage in the 25-35 was nearly as high wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

That generation, and their various snowflake/'mental health' problems seem to have spilled over into putting the nation at risk now. They simply dont know what they are doing, but have grown up, have votes, and are now doing real harm. Its a very difficult situation.

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭AllForIt

How can SF not be in government if these exit polls are in any way accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Poor enough for the Greens. 14% in the 18-24 year old bracket is brutal for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

That is huge for SF considering the last week of campaigning.

All to do with age demographics apparently.
    SF really got out their youth vote, while most over 45s kept well away from the Shinners.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The I’m alright jacks. I’m not paying a fortune in rent. I got my house for a pittance. I got my mortgage during the boom,many people that wouldn’t get a mortgage now. This hypocrisy is comedy , you’d change your tune if you were paying two k a month for a one bed apartment in Dublin

TBH every generation has had its hardships down the years. People like me were earning a pittance back in the day but then again house prices were relatively low, but not affordable by most on average wage either.

Those who scraped in were then hit by ferocious taxes, 60-70% or so and interest rates on mortgages that would make your eyes bleed.

Anyway, back to today. The counts will be saturated with advertising for this and that, because I dare say a lot, well many will be watching with avid interest for transfers and all that. Love it, whatever the outcome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

flexcon wrote: »

I do, once an adult reaches 30 ish they realise there is no substance to Sinn Fein, just bs

AllForIt wrote: »
    How can SF not be in government if these exit polls are in any way accurate?
    They aren't running enough candidates....not that complicated

That generation, and their various snowflake/'mental health' problems seem to have spilled over into putting the nation at risk now. They simply dont know what they are doing, but have grown up, have votes, and are now doing real harm. Its a very difficult situation.

You can smell the panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Dublin results

SF 22pc,
    FG 21pc,
    FF with 14,
    GP with 13pc,
    the LP with 8 pc,
    SPBP with 7pc
    and the Soc Dems with 6pc.

Ok Boomer :)
    The thing is it's not just "that generation" look at SF share in the age group above 18-24

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Some younger voters in the Universities and right on Millennials want change alright, no doubt.

But more mature voters who have seen everything seem to be happy enough with a steady ship, even though it is leaking holes everywhere. We have a good economy don't we (stupid), lowest unemployment rate, and so on.

Many are happy enough with the status quo. And in saying that I do understand the gripes the younger people have regarding housing. But most of the Uni types feck off to ME and elsewhere after we have paid for their tuition and couldn't give a whatnot eventually.

It's a herd mentality. But it's working and whilst I don't agree with SF and would never give them a scratch ever, in time the old codgers will ease off their mortal coil, and there will/may eventually be a SF led Government. Hope I'm retired to an offshore island by then!

But credit where it is due just the same, SF pitched to a certain demographic who have never witnessed or heard of nor care that the Army Council, not MLMD is in charge of SF.

If there's a do-ever and there's an election in a few weeks due to a hung parliament, if we vote SF, will you p*ss off sooner? maybe a condo in Dubai

Uni millennial type, aksing for a friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

ShaneU wrote: »
    45% of people still voting for the two parties that have destroyed the country financially.

it's going the right direction
    49.8 4 years ago
    70+ at one time not too long ago

Irish elections are great though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Bambi wrote: »
    I don't think the first preference is going to pan out like that across the big three

I wonder what the vote tally is for Sinn Fein when there only 42 candidates? Neck and necks suggests Sinn Fein vote tally around the country is higher than FG and FF

Advertisement