Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Ush1 wrote: »
    Fair enough but they were there for most of the housing crisis.

Your local gaa club has more power than your LA. Blaming any council for the housing crisis is silly

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Anyone voting for convicted bomb maker Dessie Ellis and signing ira songs with him down the count centre needs their head examined

• Registered Users Posts: 24,405 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Our property tax is the equivalent of the council tax, if I’m not mistaken.

Not really. The occupier pays council tax in the UK. Not the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I don't want to see USC abolished EVER. It is the only tax that is unavoidable by those who can use the big 4 to reduce tax in other ways, legitimately of course.

Fine to reduce it for lower paid though, but please do not eliminate it. That would be awful.

Would any Government have the cojones to introduce a council tax like in most other EU countries? Paid by occupiers of a property be that owner or renter?

Council Tax in the UK and France for example (and I am sure many other EU countries also) applies to everyone whether owner or renter.

Bit too much too soon for Ireland I suppose.
    Agree, USC is a good tax( as revenue is high for high earners) , just wish the band for top rate of tax was increased

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I don't want to see USC abolished EVER. It is the only tax that is unavoidable by those who can use the big 4 to reduce tax in other ways, legitimately of course.

Fine to reduce it for lower paid though, but please do not eliminate it. That would be awful.

Would any Government have the cojones to introduce a council tax like in most other EU countries? Paid by occupiers of a property be that owner or renter?

Council Tax in the UK and France for example (and I am sure many other EU countries also) applies to everyone whether owner or renter.

Bit too much too soon for Ireland I suppose.

What benefits do they get for their council tax?
    There are no benefits to the USC. I make no distinction between prsi,paye or USC. We see **** all in return and all are a tax on pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Welcome to the party Cavan-Monaghan

Anyone voting for convicted bomb maker Dessie Ellis and signing ira songs with him down the count centre needs their head examined

A large majority voted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Michael Healy Rae not looking too well, not a fan of his politics but I hope he is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Coppinger gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

McMurphy wrote: »
    Yup, they sure did, and spent the entire election campaign, campaigning against Sinn Fein and arguing over who definitely wasn't going into power with them the most, egged on with an only too eager press and media outlets who ran anti shinner propaganda Goebbels himself would have been proud with.

Sinn Fein meanwhile based their campaign on highlighting the shortfalls we have in both a housing crisis, rental crisis, and the state of the health system.

I predicted all this over two weeks ago when I said they're in danger of SF coming up the centre lane and stealing both of their thunder.

Today's results will take the smugness out of both of the FFG party's, every attack and oath they made to lock them out was met with an increase in the opinion polls for the shinner party.

Today has been a good day for Ireland, the electorate have finally discarded the shackles and stranglehold they (FF and FG) had on it.

My main objective has been met in 2020.

The reduction of FG and FF and the opening of a normal political divide in Ireland.
    In anyones language, this can only be good

• Advertisement

Now seriously...rather than trying to undermine what was a semi-facetious point by me do you think the powers that be behind the party would allow a Dail member of the Party bring down a Government of which they are part. Do you honestly believe that.
    I've already pointed out a number of pages back that a de-selected member of SF is very close to being elected in Laois-Offaly. Once someone stands with the support of SF there will be very high expectations of their unlimited support until such time as they are allowed to step back.

Yes. When the 'powers that be' were actively murdering people every week they couldn't prevent 3 splits. You're talking nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I think we can make a decent stab at the next cabinet at this stage :

Taoiseach : Michaèl
    Deputy PM and minister for something nominal (Defence maybe) : Radser
    With FF getting PM, Don Pasquale will probably stay in Finance.
    Industry/Trade then to FF, probably Barry Cowan.
    Each will get one of the poisoned chalices. Murphs and Harris will move from them, Harris to a lesser ministry, Murphy for a couple of years of quiet time on the nighty step.
    Coveney will probably shoulder one of them - Housing. Michael McGrath for Health.
    Donnelly, Colleary, Chambers, Bruton, Humphries and Creed for the lesser seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Our property tax is the equivalent of the council tax, if I’m not mistaken.

But it is not paid by renters is it?

Yes. When the 'powers that be' were actively murdering people every week they couldn't prevent 3 splits. You're talking nonsense
    You obviously haven't had familial experience of 'RA intimidation. You are the one talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Coppinger gone!
    Voted left but glad to see the back of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

There are no benefits to the USC. I make no distinction between prsi,paye or USC. We see **** all in return and all are a tax on pay.

So you wanted to pay less tax and then voted for SF?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Coppinger gone!

Thank God that man hating winch is finally gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

So anyone one voting SF is a disgrace because they were singing an anti black and tans song but FG supporters should be congratulated for FGs support for commemorating the black and tans?

No!!!!

**** all? Ever gone to school? Or hospitals or drove your car? How do you think all this stuff is paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Your local gaa club has more power than your LA. Blaming any council for the housing crisis is silly

Sinn Fein councillors protested against a number of developments. I don't "blame" anyone for anything but like most politicians they are talking out of both sides of their mouth. Populism is transparent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,418 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I would love to eat my words and see them fix the problems of the country. Can't see it though. Think the long term winner of the 3 parties will be the one who stays out of government this time.

Yes indeed. I for one am sick and tired of all these populist idiots flooding into the Dail and then sitting on their holes for the full terms, avoiding government and hard decisions at every juncture possible. Then getting massive re-election mandates from the voters while the people involved in actual governing (and the hard work) get turfed out.
    The runway has run out this time- the cushion of blaming FG and FF for everything is looking decidedly hollow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Defectors in SF would be treated like ISIS treats an Apostate so you don't need to worry about that side of the coalition falling out of line.

Remember The Disappeared ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

But it is not paid by renters is it?
    Could they afford it with the price of rents?

Thank God that man hating winch is finally gone.
    Amen.

So you wanted to pay less tax and then voted for SF?

FFG are the ones who have tax rates where they are.

You obviously haven't had familial experience of 'RA intimidation. You are the one talking nonsense.

How do you explain the multiple splits since the 70's so?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

FFG are the ones who have tax rates where they are.

That isn’t what I asked. Did you want to pay less tax and then cast a vote for SF?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

jos28 wrote: »
    Michael Healy Rae not looking too well, not a fan of his politics but I hope he is ok.

Hasn’t he been elected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Mad Jack is back in Dub west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Coppinger gone!

This makes me so happy

I'd love to see Paul Murphy and Brid Smith follow.
    Ghastly ***** the three of them

Advertisement