Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I dont get this. Council elections and General elections are totally different. I wouldnt be drawing to much from it tbh. People are pissed off. Not about pot holes but about real life impacting issues. That seems to be lost on some.

SF are a viable alternative to FFG.

They ran 9 candidates who lost the local elections last year. All voted in today. Read into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

YFlyer wrote: »
    Some waffle on Rte.

Awful ****e at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

So you consider SF's economic plans moderate left? Because even their followers would say they are fairly radical

SF are centrist, they won't be nationalizing building sites or takeaways,it'll be business as usual with possibly the exception of the Irish Independant merging with the National Enquirer

STB. wrote: »
    They ran 9 candidates who lost the local elections last year. All voted in today.

Second line of my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Look, all people seem to want is change, SF were voted in huge numbers for this. Let them do it if they can find a partner who will coalesce with them.

The worst of all worlds is SF sitting on the opposition benches again cribbing and moaning as they have done forever. But that is all they are used to.

Time to play senior hurling now. But who will coalesce with them? And if no one does we are back to square one But maybe the Army Council will decide. I reckon it will all boil down to who gets the Justice Portfolio. That is what they want, the rest is blx.

A lot of posters here appear to think other parties were queueing up to coalesce with SF.
    Do you really think that?
    If no-one wants to do so this time there is nowhere else for them to go and opposition is a very important job.

Or another election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

So as the Uk embraces the free market economics ireland has swung full on left. This will not end well for ireland. Facts remain that leftists are idiots and always get manshamed by the right.

Nothing is decided yet. We rely on SF to do the right thing for our country. Many other Hard Lefties have been ditched AFAIS.

UK is no barometer of good governance either let it be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

When have Northern Ireland paramilitaries cared about a democratic vote. Maybe a vote for an United Ireland will pass at some stage but will places like East Belfast happily respect that? Doubt it to be fair.
    I'm not going to pretend how a UI would work but at best I would guess that it would be some form of self government from Stormont.
    it would have to be something unionists would be happy with, not saying down here we would be happy with paying for that but I'm sure there would be some form of of amicable compromise.
    It would have to be something that would have a view of benefitting all citizens eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    A lot of posters here appear to think other parties were queueing up to coalesce with SF.
    If no-one wants to do so this time there is nowhere else for them to go and opposition is a very important job.

Or another election.

Read the first sentence of my post. SF need to find a willing partner for coalition.

Anyway, just shooting the breeze. The pressure is on all of them. Good o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Damien English elected.
    It's nice to see someone with their own minority language back in the Dail.
    Diversity rules!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bill 2.0

That's the proof FF and FG are full of sh*t.
    FF had us practically eating out of bins, but seemingly, for the good of the nation and stability they joined up.
    Yet won't deal with SF even though the public obviously want them involved.
    Chancers.

We're 3rd on the Human Development Index.

If you are eating out of bins then you are the problem, not FF or FG.

We live in one of the greastest nations on the planet and people here act like they are hard done by. It's ****ing bonkers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Idbatterim wrote: »
    You and I are paying for one bed luxury apartments at e1800 a month. This is the kind of bolloxogy that makes me laugh, when ffg talk about sf and magic money trees ! What a genius way to spend the money ! Are they printing it on that new printer in the dail? Should be as capable as anything in the national mint with the cost of it ! At least if someone balls up to that extent with at in power , they’ll be taken out back !

I don't want SF to govern. But I am loving the almighty kick up the hole FFG are getting. They might finally realise they need to behave themselves and actually become more decent or else they will get wiped out.

That can only be good for the country in the long run. One can hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Lisa Chambers looks to be goosed in Mayo.

I'd imagine happenings outside of politics didn't go down too well in Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Second line of my post.

"Council elections and General elections are totally different"

'
    Don't try and explain politics to me. The 9 SF candidates voted in today couldn't get voted into council positions last year. in Mythen's case he couldn't retain his previously held position.

The candidates voted in were not based upon their capability but on the brand of change.

Do you get it now ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

fritzelly wrote: »
    So who thinks another election? SF field a whole load more candidates and take power with a few of the smaller parties?
    Cannot see FF/SF lasting more than 6 months if they do go in to coalition and any kind of rainbow government made up of a multitude of parties would barely last a month

Is another 4/5 years of FFG feasible? I understand them all saying no coalition as that would hurt them at the polls with second preferences and then changing their tune on the day but FG seems to be sticking to their guns
    Cannot believe Leo fared so badly in this - do not remember any leader doing so badly

Dick Spring came within four votes of losing his seat in the 1987 GE when he was Labour Party leader and after having been Tanaiste for more than four years in the Coalition Government with Fine Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I don't want SF to govern. But I am loving the almighty kick up the hole FFG are getting. They might finally realise they need to behave themselves and actually become more decent or else they will get wiped out.

That can only be good for the country in the long run. One can hope!

Who do you want to govern?

Or another election.

Another election because parties refuse to work toget her would likely see a higher SF vote, a confidence and supply between FF/FG would falter in months giving SF a higher vote, SF/FF coalition with revolving Taoiseach is what will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Thanks for the back up bro. Facts remain, vote left, be stupid.
    SF not left though, besides FFG are golden?
    Not directed at you but FFG have been an absolute f**king disgrace the past few years

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭utmbuilder

Such strong opinions, people need to step back a little. Politics swing.

It will all be ok. Hating a party is a huge amount of effort.

Truth be known no matter who's in government who really think's their is going to be change.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Damien English elected.
    It's nice to see someone with their own minority language back in the Dail.
    Diversity rules!

Damien (I don't know what language he is speaking but it's definitely not) English

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

blackcard wrote: »
    Why won't SF go into government? MM stated today that he would not rule it out. Maybe they will get something done and not blame someone else if things go belly up. When building expenses triple and wages double, they can no longer point at someone else and say they wouldn't have made the mistake. SF have been on about change, now they have a chance to do it

?
    It's a big 'maybe' when it comes to FF and FG.
    I didn't say SF wouldn't go into government, I said the FF FG coalition would be better.
    SF have been on about change, not sure if you saw todays results, it has already happened.
    Whether or not you see it is irrelevant.

Change in the way people vote is a massive start. Anyone that can't see that is either lying to themselves or failing miserably at trying to find fault in SF not agreeing to join a coalition, when both FF an FG have been saying it all week.
    It's a bitter pill to swallow for the FFFG diehards, but the inevitable is happening in your lifetime.

• Advertisement

'
    Don't try and explain politics to me. The 9 SF candidates voted in today couldn't get voted into council positions last year. in Mythen's case he couldn't retain his previously held position.

The candidates voted in were not based upon their capability but on the brand of change.

Do you get it now ???

No.

Bill 2.0 wrote: »
    We're 3rd on the Human Development Index.

If you are eating out of bins then you are the problem, not FF or FG.

We live in one of the greastest nations on the planet and people here act like they are hard done by. It's ****ing bonkers.

If things are that good then why have people voted for change? Is that you Leo?

'

Do you get it now ???
    Local elections are just that local, no one is going to vote for some candidate from the other end of the county, theyll fix the potholes over there and not bother about mine, however in a national election that isn't the requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

lmimmfn wrote: »
    SF not left though, besides FFG are golden?
    Not directed at you but FFG have been an absolute f**king disgrace the past few years

I've never seen such a government to limp from scandal to scandal so arrogantly all the while shouting about the economy...

Here's the thing,the public don't care about how much profits large multinationals make,they care about health and housing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Michael 'ILoveMilfs.com' McGrath elected in Cark
    ??
    We’ve all been there, right
    We have to confess that we hadn’t heard of MILF of the Day, but it seems to be quite popular, with over 87,000 ‘likes’ on Facebook. But one ‘like’ from Cork South Central TD Michael McGrath has caused a bit of a stir today.

As posted on Reddit by RevolutionaryCommie, this screengrab shows the Fianna Fail TD’s Official Facebook page liking the MILF page.

MichaelMcGrath-FB.jpg
    https://www.joe.ie/news/fianna-fail-td-likes-milf-page-deletes-account-388756

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Awful ****e at this stage.

Trying to argue parties going left, right, central etc. A load of tosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

SF transfer toxicity is still evident in the constituencies where they didn't run away with a massive 1st preference vote. Falling short in a few places based on poor transfers.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I'd imagine happenings outside of politics didn't go down too well in Mayo

Oh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Lisa Chambers looks to be goosed in Mayo.

She's paying the price for her stupidity, no more than she deserves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bill 2.0

If things are that good then why have people voted for change? Is that you Leo?

Because the media has told people in one of the most wealthy and stable nations in the world that they are living in a thrid world hellhole.

The average Irish citizen (working or unemployed) has a far higher standard of living than the vast majority of people on this planet.

Advertisement