Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,153 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Bill 2.0 wrote: »
    My own father recently became disabled after 40-odd years in the workforce and he and all of my family are taken aback by how well supported we've been both financially and from a point of view of access to services/assistance.

My son has autism and an intellectual disability. His school that I spent 3 years fighting to get him a place in is grossly underfunded, he spends 2.5 hours a day on school transport as the state stuff as many kids on possible onto the routes instead of running others, we have no access to occupational therapist, speech therapists and psychologists. Oh wait we just got a phone call last week from the psychologist after waiting a year.

Stop talking ****.

I see this **** only registered today. I should of checked that first before I wasted my time replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭amacca

Calhoun wrote: »
    There is a constitutional right guaranteeing an inclusive education, from the department of education/school system. So that is up for them to work that out, and if they cannot support well then legal action should be taken.

As for the other students, that is not a problem for parents paying taxes but the schools themselves.

My point would be its all very well guaranteeing a constitutional right to something because it should be the case its quite another thing to implement it on the ground if its not funded/resourced properly

The other parents pay taxes too and there are a lot more of them.......the resources are stretched too thin imo
    My general attitude of school teachers is they don't like having to deal with special education

Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it I suppose...I was trained but in a classroom setting with up to 30 other students it was nigh on impossible to do anything particularly meaningful (sure you could differentiate h/w, give words of encouragement try to get one on one time work with SNA to try and implement strategies where possible, try various types of methodologies but with the range of abilities in the room and increasing numbers of kids with very challenging sometimes aggressive behaviour etc + multiply that by up to 9 classes a day it quickly becomes unsustainable imo

We don't even train them in the colleges how to deal with special needs children

Fair enough, in my day that was certainly the case...are you sure it still is however?
    and more often than not only take courses when forced to do so if they should have to come in contact with a child that needs it.

Thats not true in my experience tbh....its a big part of inservice/cpd etc and there were 6 or 7 specially trained SEN teachers in my place alone before I left

What do you think we should do with these children so they don't give you a headache? Just start smothering them? or should we actually invest in the services they require?

I think you are projecting here...re read my post, you are the one to bring up that suggestion, do you think Im another poster or something? If you re read my post its quite clear I'm suggesting that an inclusive education for all is not deliverable because of under resourcing...

I do have genuine doubts about the feasibility of delivering inclusive education for all in a mainstream setting however especially as it seems every member of society has a a right to something now with absolutely no responsibilities.....I would be of the opinion that the mainstream classroom as it stands today is an increasingly difficult place to deliver an inclusive education for all.....I'm certainly not suggesting smothering anyone and I think its a bit bizarre you would make it seem I was suggesting anything like that:confused: I suppose I just think that one on one help and lots of it is needed for some students to try overcome certain difficulties and the mainstream classroom teacher just won't ever be effective at that.....

Its funny you crib about SF and all that being terrorists and your attitude to some of our most vulnerable would suggest your quite the monster yourself.

O.K. you are definitely confusing me with someone else. Ive not cribbed about Sinn Fein on this thread or any other to the best of my knowledge. I don't think many of their policies are particularly deliverable or economically sound and I would worry about what sort of damage they could do long term if they got into power properly but thats the first time Ive said that on here to my knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

What’s worse case scenario with ira in charge of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,615 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Kevin O O'keeffe is gone in Cork East another Fianna Fail lad got in.
    Even the most loyal FF voters hadn't much time for him.
    Elected
    Pat Buckley SF
    Seán Shealock Labour
    David Staunton FG
    James O'Connor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

amacca wrote: »
    My point would be its all very well guaranteeing a constitutional right to something because it should be the case its quite another thing to implement it on the ground if its not funded/resourced properly

The other parents pay taxes too and there are a lot more of them.......the resources are stretched too thin imo

If we aren't going to resource and fund our education system properly and inline with our social-democratic model then something is seriously wrong. Especially when we have a teacher basically saying that the most in need are less important than children with normal outcomes.
    Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it I suppose...I was trained but in a classroom setting with up to 30 other students it was nigh on impossible to do anything particularly meaningful (sure you could differentiate h/w, give words of encouragement try to get one on one time work with SNA to try and implement strategies where possible, try various types of methodologies but with the range of abilities in the room and increasing numbers of kids with very challenging sometimes aggressive behaviour etc + multiply that by up to 9 classes a day it quickly becomes unsustainable imo

Do you not think people like you are part of the problem? Rather than being supportive of putting in more investment you are basically saying that its not sustainable to deal with special need children? You are doing nothing to change my opinion on teachers views of special education children. The normal push from teachers is onto the parents.

Fair enough, in my day that was certainly the case...are you sure it still is however?

My wife is a teacher, graduated in the past 5 years and i know from speaking with parent groups that it is the case. In the Netherlands for example apparently 70% of the course is based on special education.

Thats not true in my experience tbh....its a big part of inservice/cpd etc and there were 6 or 7 specially trained SEN teachers in my place alone before I left

You obviously have no experience in opening up autism units, more often than not the resistance from teachers is down to them wanting experienced ones going in and they spend the first year retraining.

I think you are projecting here...re read my post, you are the one to bring up that suggestion, do you think Im another poster or something? If you re read my post its quite clear I'm suggesting that an inclusive education for all is not deliverable because of under resourcing...

I do have genuine doubts about the feasibility of delivering inclusive education for all in a mainstream setting however especially as it seems every member of society has a a right to something now with absolutely no responsibilities.....I would be of the opinion that the mainstream classroom as it stands today is an increasingly difficult place to deliver an inclusive education for all.....I'm certainly not suggesting smothering anyone and I think its a bit bizarre you would make it seem I was suggesting anything like that:confused: I suppose I just think that one on one help and lots of it is needed for some students to try overcome certain difficulties and the mainstream classroom teacher just won't ever be effective at that.....

I see a teacher and a part time farmer, all with the same old excuses for why we cannot have an inclusive environment pushing back onto parents as seems to be the standard procedure.

How much research have you done on the topic other than the inconvenience that was caused to you in the classroom? I suppose you need to focus on the farm so not much time for doing stuff like that.

From an educational perspective children are guaranteed both an academic and social education and you may feel that its too much effort to strive for that but i am glad there are allot more out that do not.

Just to clarify on that you feel special needs children should have 1x1 teaching support even though we don't have the resources to teach them in a classroom of 30+ children. Its like its better if they are out of sight out of mind so you can focus on the normies.
    O.K. you are definitely confusing me with someone else. Ive not cribbed about Sinn Fein on this thread or any other to the best of my knowledge. I don't think many of their policies are particularly deliverable or economically sound and I would worry about what sort of damage they could do long term if they got into power properly but thats the first time Ive said that on here to my knowledge

I have not confused you, your a secondary school teacher from the midlands who is also a part time farmer perhaps a mistake to assume you voted FG but I took a shot in the dark as I wondered why you were so against looking after the most needy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,615 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Predection for the next Election Sinn Fein to run Emmett Kirwan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Haha woke up to mary Mitchell o connor losing her seat, along with ross and hopefully zappone this is a great election for getting rid of useless ministers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Did Michelle Mulhern get shown the door again does anyone know?

Yes. No chance of an All Ireland ticket now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I don't want them to enable either FF or FG again. Simple as that.

Yet, the numbers are that SF will need one of FG or FF to form a government. If the people wanted change and with FG last in government, that means I presume to go into coalition with FF.

You can speak for yourself as you have supported SF for a long time (I dont believe you when you talk about voting for SF the first time in this GE)

The core vote of SF is about 10%, then extra 14% or so are people who cannot wait and want change NOW. That means government NOW.

I voted for change and I want change even if it means waiting another while.

Like the prayer, 'Make me good, dear lord, but not now'. :D:D

In an ideal world, EVERY political party would be looking for an outright majority or a coalition with like-minded people. That is not how the Irish PRSTV system works. The system is predicated on coalitions and compromise.

Either SF is either interested in governing or they aren't.
    It seems you, on the other hand, are quite content with the state of the country seeing as you are happy to wait another 5-10 years for SF to be No.1
    There will be folk waiting for them to fail, like yourself, so whatever they do, go in or refuse, is going to be wrong. I couldn't care less about the taunts of people who have lost tbh.

Not at all. Its a win-win for me.
    If SF turns out to be the best political party ever to enact world-class public services, low taxes and we create an Irish Utopia, then great.
    If of course, their lofty promises of cheap 65k houses fall flat on their arse, then great. The conmen and women have been found out.

As I said, I benefit either way. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Now that counts have come in all around the country is there a consensus on how many seats Sinn Fein dropped through not having extra candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Now that counts have come in all around the country is there a consensus on how many seats Sinn Fein dropped through not having extra candidates.

Apparently in some constituencies without SF candidates contesting that seat people wrote SINN FEIN across the ballet paper thus spoiling their votes.

Also some people have said they were voting 'MARY LOU' rather than SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

STB. wrote: »
    Yes. No chance of an All Ireland ticket now.

Plenty of free time now for a bit of the auld fornication!

markodaly wrote: »
    Yet, the numbers are that SF will need one of FG or FF to form a government. If the people wanted change and with FG last in government, that means I presume to go into coalition with FF.

You can speak for yourself as you have supported SF for a long time (I dont believe you when you talk about voting for SF the first time in this GE)

The core vote of SF is about 10%, then extra 14% or so are people who cannot wait and want change NOW. That means government NOW.

In an ideal world, EVERY political party would be looking for an outright majority or a coalition with like-minded people. That is not how the Irish PRSTV system works. The system is predicated on coalitions and compromise.

It seems you, on the other hand, are quite content with the state of the country seeing as you are happy to wait another 5-10 years for SF to be No.1

If SF turns out to be the best political party ever to enact world-class public services, low taxes and we create an Irish Utopia, then great.
    If of course, their lofty promises of cheap 65k houses fall flat on their arse, then great. The conmen and women have been found out.

Hard to take you seriously when your revisiting this, knowing it's not true and after stating that it would take at least 300k to throw up a social house on a site already owned by the state.

300k on material and labour would build a fcuking monster of a house, if you have been gifted a site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Hate it or love it but this is the second step towards and United ireland after brexit.

I say there were many a unionist up north with a twitchy arse after seeing the Sinn Fein result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Hard to take you seriously when your revisiting this, knowing it's not true and after stating that it would take at least 300k to throw up a social house on a site already owned by the state.

300k on material and labour would build a fcuking monster of a house, if you have been gifted a site.

Yep

I remember poster insisting that FG had been given the go-ahead/the all-clear/a big thumbs up by the Commemoration external expert group for the loony RIC/Tan ceremony even as Diarmuid Ferriter was on the news saying the exact opposite (and that arch FGer Maurice Manning, chair of the Expert group confirming same)
    This was repeated over the next few hours on that thread by yer man.
    Oh and he threw in about ten posts saying every party had agreed with it as well at the All-Party Ctte just cos y'know, someone might believe that and think FG were in the right.

So, file under delusional FG.;)

ricero wrote: »
    Hate it or love it but this is the second step towards and United ireland after brexit.

I say there were many a unionist up north with a twitchy arse after seeing the Sinn Fein result.

I don't think so. The demographics show SF largest voter base was young people, young people don't give a bollox about a United Ireland.

This is a vote about a failed health and housing policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Up to 10 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mark, the world and it's granny know what has happened in your world.

I laid out my own personal view of what I would like to see happen. And it is based on a desire for fundamental change to the body politic here.

And that does not revolve around SF now doing a Labour or Green, selfish jump into the comfy seats at the expense of that real change.

I have seen the SDLP, Labour and the Greens and a host of independents do that and destroy themselves.

The long game works for the longterm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,792 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You have my condolences aswell. Yesterday must have been traumatic.

Paschal Donohoe not coming across very well on RTE Radio.
    Nothing amazingingly dumb, but the arrogance and disbelief is seeping through the wireless.
    So tired of them and the same spiel as if nothing has happened.

There's the same old arrogance from shortarse again.
    Sigh, go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

A great day for our country.

He didn't say No, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Paschal Donohoe not coming across very well on RTE Radio.
    Nothing amazingingly dumb, but the arrogance and disbelief is seeping through the wireless.
    So tired of them and the same spiel as if nothing has happened.

FG need to realise they are being led by somebody who had to wait until the 5th count to be elected and whose party (while he is leader) have never won the popular vote.

Repeat - his party have never been endorsed by the electorate with him as leader and is now firmly the third most popular party in the country. They will of course - being FG, arrogantly try and guilt the Irish electorate and their supporters here will denigrate that electorate. But they should perhaps eat that humble pie, starting with school teacher Paschal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

is_that_so wrote: »
    He didn't say No, that's all.

Not saying no is some turnaround from what he was saying last week in fairness.

Not saying no is some turnaround from what he was saying last week in fairness.
    It's a modification and more of a not ruling anything in or out but party members would more than likely reject it.

• Advertisement

FF are a party that governs, he will do anything to get into power. Does he want on his CV to be the only FF party leader that wasn't taoiseach?

It was absolutely foolish to say no way to doing business with any party before the election but he's a poor politician anyway who has lived off the smoking ban.

Advertisement