Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

not so sure on the revote- how stable is that level of support for SF, if they run a load more candidates and lose a couple of percent of the vote they could be dropping seats, will the voters penalise them for not using there mandate this time to effect the change they say is needed.

i dont think its a simple as revote in a couple of months=more SF seats, although it might do that

I think if she was to come out and say something like "Real change is almost within our grasp, and with just a couple of more seats, FF/FG will be out of power", I don't think it would go down too badly.

I'm not a SF supporter but to be fair to Mary Lou, I think she's well able to keep winning the spin battle

• Registered Users Posts: 19,419 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think if she was to come out and say something like "Real change is almost within our grasp, and with just a couple of more seats, FF/FG will be out of power", I don't think it would go down too badly.

I'm not a SF supporter but to be fair to Mary Lou, I think she's well able to keep winning the spin battle

You're assuming there's a public appetite for more electiions- i can assure you there isn't.
    Maybe best two out of three for SF?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

markodaly wrote: »
    Fundamental change..... by doing NOTHING..... change alright :rolleyes::):pac:

So the people SF were fighting for in this election, the people renting, the people paying childcare fees, the people on trolleys, the people left behind.... they can wait a few more years, while SF play the long game for power...

So again, what is the purpose of SF again? Or is it all a pretence of just gaining power, with the veneer of fighting for the little guy?
    That is what FF did in the past, now SF seems to be stealing those clothes.

At least you're honest that SF don't give two ****s about their voters. World Cup winners for being hurlers on the ditch.

Look Mark, they are not a party that can be 'goaded' into doing what many have done before and which hasn't worked in terms of creating fundamental change.

Calm down, you are not dealing with comfy seat hoggers like Labour and The Greens.

I know that is why FG and FF are losing their ****. They fear that resolve.

FG have opted to huff in opposition in the face of it (Not looking after the interests of the percentage that voted for them, anyone?)

FF are now, having told us all that they never would, frantically looking for an angle that gives them power.

I.E. Not unlike Unionism at the GFA...the power swap parties here have been boxed into a frightful corner for them and their sense of entitlement.
    More **** to hit the fans and more toys out of prams this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

road_high wrote: »
    You're assuming there's a public appetite for more electiions- i can assure you there isn't.
    Maybe best two out of three for SF?

Id prefer another election than FFG.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Well who's stopping them? They have a mandate, returned as one of the biggest parties, and biggest by % vote. They must now go into power with FF or sort out an alternative government via others.

Or, FG could coalesce with FF.

No doubt you'd say that's a non runner though.

You have been coming across as quite bitter as last while RH tbh. My advice is to get used to things because the status quo has ended - FFG have lost their grip of power swapping every couple of elections.

That's a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I'm looking forward to a FF/SF partnership, be interesting to see what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

limnam wrote: »
    It looks like there's a high % that don't want change.

They're happy with what FF/FG are doing.
    No, just people exercising their right to vote as they choose without others judging them, no less than any other voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

xl500 wrote: »
    SF now need to show leadership and not be influenced by Vested interests as FF are like Developers etc

what has happened to our Social Housing Policy is a disgrace giving Public Land to Private developers to built some social houses and the rest for themselves

We built major Social Housing Schemes in the past and can do it again but take the profiteers out of it

Set up a Housing Agency and directly build Social Housing as before look at Cabra,Crumlin,Driminagh,etc etc all built by Direct Labour

SF now need to start some major social projects in Transport Health Childcare etc

I know people say they will break the country well we have 200 billion Debt directly associated with FF so its hard to beat that also country was broke IMF had to Bail us out

The 200 Billion is causing us major problems and should be re-negotiated imagine what we could do with the 3 Billion Interest alone we are paying every year

Yeah it won't happen. Not for any ideological reasons but because nobody significantly repays the debt, they hope GDP will rise to reduce debt/gdp ratio. All you can hope is lower interest on debt but they are very low anyway.

I'm not opposed to state sponsored or led building, it works well in other countries however I would like to know where you are getting people who will do it at zero unemployment, no available rentals to import workforce and cost f work going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Funny that a criticism of the left from the blues was that they run from power. Leo not exactly busting a sweat attempting to form a government from his demeanor
    There's a feasible grand coalition on the table with FF.

McMurphy wrote: »

You have been coming across as quite bitter as last while RH tbh. My advice is to get used to things because the status quo has ended - FFG have lost their grip of power swapping every couple of elections.

That's a good thing.

Not bitter just wanting SF to accept the mandate they've been given. But all I'm hearing is "the next time etc etc etc". Quelle surprise there. Get in and govern and drop the endless excuess and what-ifs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I'm looking forward to a FF/SF partnership, be interesting to see what they can do.
    SFs new voters might crucify them if they go into govt with FF and rightly so.

Those voters hate FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

I wonder will any of the current members of the Dail resign completely from politics over the head of this?

Are you suggesting that they will leave their cosy position on principle?

Keep wondering I'd say

Those voters hate FF.

They have been given a mandate.

They need to do something with it.

I wonder will any of the current members of the Dail resign completely from politics over the head of this?

In their BUMS they will! ;)

We pay them too well.

That's a good thing.

It is a non-runner as they both continue to see a reason to exist separately. There is no way either party members will vote for that scenario. Just as some see a simplistic landscape of SF in low numbers others imagine a merge of FF & FG.

Those voters hate FF.

Can't Mary Lou cobble together something without FF or FG? Both partys are the devil incarnate so surely the rainbow mix would be preferable. She being such a political mastermind of the left, should be no bother to her.
    Wave of change meets Green wave- the public mood is for change not more FG or FF monorities propping things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I didn't question it as there wasn't a need to question it (again) you know well that they are not claiming to be able to build houses at 65k a pop, so you might have well said they were going to provide houses for the price of a can of coke and a bag of monster munch tbh.

Your figure is the fantasy one.

Unless, maybe you're prepared to show folks where they're claiming any such thing?

Sometimes it's better to stop digging mark, you're now in that hole.

Let’s park Marko’s figure for a second. You will not build a housing unit for €65k, not a hope. Double that and you’re getting close. So let’s say a unit costs €100k, that’s a total of €10bn, SF now has a deficit of €3.5 bn.

Now take away the €14bn Apple money that SF have included in their figures, let’s say we get to keep €3bn of that(which is an overestimate).

€3.5bn + €11bn = a deficit of €14.5bn in their figures already.

We’ll have the IMF back in jij time.

Now don’t get me wrong, I think a lot of their ideas are great, but they have no way of funding them. I can see why a lot of people voted for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

is_that_so wrote: »
    No, just people exercising their right to vote as they choose without others judging them, no less than any other voter.

bless :D

Why do you imagine anyone would do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭trellheim

Rowing aside

FG /SF been ruled out

FG + Others highly unlikely , too much messing to get 80 seats and country paralysed again for 5 years

FF + Others = same

SF + Others = same with FF And FG able to collapse it at any point

Therefore FF + SF + Green . The question is how long it would last. Now without going back to the RA you dont have far to look to find SF collapsing an assembly and refusing to return, in the first instance over RHI and in the second over an Irish language act.

If thats their collapse threshold , when in with FF they are going to swallow worse. Politics is the art of the possible. Not convinced.

• Advertisement

Can't Mary Lou cobble together something without FF or FG? Both partie are the devil incarnate so surely the rainbow mix would be preferable. She being such a political mastermind of the left, should be no bother to her.

I don't think they would have the numbers ..I am not certain tho. I do think they need one of the other 2 main parties for the threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

They have been given a mandate.

They need to do something with it.

Surely by this logic we'd if had a FF FG government decades ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Can't Mary Lou cobble together something without FF or FG? Both partie are the devil incarnate so surely the rainbow mix would be preferable. She being such a political mastermind of the left, should be no bother to her.

Not a chance. Although she could offer Healy Raes housing and transport. They have experience.

bless :D
    Ah, there's always one who can't resist showing their real age!

Surely by this logic we'd if had a FF FG government decades ago?

Look Mary Lou has even said the people want SF in government.

They know they need to do it now

Originally Posted by is_that_so View Post

No one has to tell anyone who the voted for it's why its private. But if you do share it publicly its naturally going to be debated.

We all get judged for who we vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It is a non-runner as they both continue to see a reason to exist separately. There is no way either party members will vote for that scenario. Just as some see a simplistic landscape of SF in low numbers others imagine a merge of FF & FG.

So the above won't coalesce as they see ultimate destruction and yet the same ones are clamouring for SF to do just that.

A cursory glance at Howlin will see him and his party bumping along the floor at 4%.

That awaits SF if they get it wrong this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Yeah keeping their seats and that reason is declining rapidly. They are basically the same party when it comes to policy

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Not bitter just wanting SF to accept the mandate they've been given. But all I'm hearing is "the next time etc etc etc". Quelle surprise there. Get in and govern and drop the endless excuess and what-ifs.

What? :confused:

The onus is on SF to form a government with 2 parties who have categorically ruled out forming a government with them?

Are you actually reading what you are typing or have you lemon juice in your eyes?

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    So the above won't coalesce as they see ultimate destruction and yet the same ones are clamouring for SF to do just that.

A cursory glance at Howlin will see him and his party bumping along the floor at 4%.

That awaits SF if they get it wrong this time around.

So with SF party preservation is the main goal not running the country? Wow

Advertisement