Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,418 ✭✭✭✭road_high

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    It's a gamble alright but lets see if SF are serious about wanting to be in Government in the first place

Still I think they will want another election ASAP

I’m sure they do but Saturday was about electing a government unfortunately. We need a government

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

It's easy to say you want 'change' and to be in government

Different when you actually need to form a government and will need to compromise on your change platform

• Registered Users Posts: 86,856 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

South West Cork no FG elected but the couple (FF and SD) did

road_high wrote: »
    I’m sure they do but Saturday was about electing a government unfortunately. We need a government

Stability wise FF and FG government with Greens and a few Independents prob the best but then that's giving SF the only opposition

Hard one to call as I think SF will pull down any FF/SF government quite quickly

That was the big talking point in Mallow yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Based on the polls FF and FG will have a slightly larger number of seats than SF, so how exactly will SF form the next government?

Even having voted SF, I think I would prefer the more cautious approach of FFG, but one that actually now moves with serious urgency , if they dont , SF will win the most amount of seats, comfortably...

I dont regret voting SF, FFG have brought this about. They needed a serious kick up the hole, if they get a last chance, they better bloody take it! Ideally I would also like a new centre right party to form, a new progressive party, that would give us options across the board, that isnt defined by civil war politics and gombeens and incompetent fools across the board!

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Even having voted SF, I think I would prefer the more cautious approach of FFG, but one that actually now moves with serious urgency , if they dont , SF will win the most amount of seats, comfortably...

I dont regret voting SF, FFG have brought this about. They needed a serious kick up the hole, if they get a last chance, they better bloody take it! Ideally I would also like a new centre right party to form, a new progressive party, that would give us options across the board, that isnt defined by civil war politics and gombeens and incompetent fools across the board!

You voted sf but don’t want Them to govern?

Different when you actually need to form a government and will need to compromise on your change platform

knowing what you would have to do, to bring about change is easy. Its the politics bit of it, that makes it difficult...

Or sit out the “urgent change” until another result that suits you better !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭Odhinn

He's a tortured soul.

I dont know, look if they do, it will be interesting to see what happens. I dont feel this is black and white. There is a lot of unknown. There was no point in SF winning one or two more mickey mouse seats, they needed a serious wake up call. they have got that. Whether even that will shake them two into action, who knows. Paralsysis by analysis is the biggest issue with this country! When I heard Varadkar might not get in, I was ecstatic. This country needs good governance. Many will not go back to FG with that moron at the helm, I am one of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Older people are more conservative. They likely own their own homes, and other than the health situation, this country looks after them, very, very well!

I'm in my 40ies and with a house, business and private health insurance there is nothing in SF manifesto for me.

That doesn't mean I don't want housing and health fixed. They are long time projects and because they won't be getting anywhere fast there they will go for stupid stuff like reducing usc, pensions (or reducing pension age) and increasing taxes on business. Which will screw up the economy and health and housing will be in worse shape as a consequence.

Thought he was voting FG as the best of a bad lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭trellheim

Ideally I would also like a new centre right party to form, a new progressive party, that would give us options across the board, that isnt defined by civil war politics and gombeens and incompetent fools across the board!

Renua or the PDs didnt do it for you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Christy42

They seem to want one that people will vote for which may be the tricky part since people obviously don't want to vote for anyone to the right of FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭threeball

trellheim wrote: »
    Renua or the PDs didnt do it for you ?

Renua had some good policies but had a lunatic fringe with a bit of religion lobbed on top. The PD's only cared about white collar well heeled workers, solictors, bankers and the like. Wheres the party to look out for the self employed plasterer, mechanic or plumber or the guy working for them. Or the guy working in small businesses around the country that have to plough their own furrow whilst multinationals get grants left right and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

meeeeh wrote: »
    I'm in my 40ies and with a house, business and private health insurance there is nothing in SF manifesto for me.

That doesn't mean I don't want housing and health fixed. They are long time projects and because they won't be getting anywhere fast there they will go for stupid stuff like reducing usc, pensions (or reducing pension age) and increasing taxes on business. Which will screw up the economy and health and housing will be in worse shape as a consequence.

That's all grand but FG policies have been seriously hindering multinational growth. Not to mention local business growth. If staff can't get rentals or buy homes then growth is stunted.

This softly softly it will take care of itself is horse****. And if anything you should be against it.

Major taxes on land banks and derelict sites needed. Spur the owners into action or get off the pot. It's hitting the rest of the economic activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,405 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

listermint wrote: »
    That's all grand but FG policies have been seriously hindering multinational growth. Not to mention local business growth. If staff can't get rentals or buy homes then growth is stunted.

This softly softly it will take care of itself is horse****. And if anything you should be against it.

Major taxes on land banks and derelict sites needed. Spur the owners into action or get off the pot. It's hitting the rest of the economic activity.

this is why property in Ireland is expensive because it costs nothing to horde land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Now that the message has been strongly delivered, my personal preference is that we return to the polls in 6 months time and the message has gotten through to Fine Gael that they cannot afford to take the electorate for granted or they will be consigned to the dustbins of history.

Get rid of Varadkar, Murphy and Harris from the front bench and put competent people in their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Now that the message has been strongly delivered, my personal preference is that we return to the polls in 6 months time and the message has gotten through to Fine Gael that they cannot afford to take the electorate for granted or they will be consigned to the dustbins of history.

Get rid of Varadkar, Murphy and Harris from the front bench and put competent people in their place.

Maybe just abolish the whole party for incompetence

I still remember last recession. The last thing I want is giveaway budget. Growth is fine in Ireland so is employment, those are not two issues that need fixing. Sustainable tax base is essential. Which of course will never come from companies who can drop more money on accountants to tell them how to avoid paying taxes than there is spent on health in Ireland. It's a pipe dream nonsense about what will pay for SF's giveaway. I would respect them a lot more if they came in saying we will tax everyone earning more than 25k to fix the health and housing. That would be realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

lawred2 wrote: »
    this is why property in Ireland is expensive because it costs nothing to horde land

And Sinn Fein want to get rid of LPT?:confused:

Ush1 wrote: »
    And Sinn Fein want to get rid of LPT?:confused:

If you think that will happen....

I still remember last recession. The last thing I want is giveaway budget. Growth is fine in Ireland so is employment, those are not two issues that need fixing. Sustainable tax base is essential. Which of course will never come from companies who can drop more money on accountants to tell them how to avoid paying taxes than there is spent on health in Ireland. It's a pipe dream nonsense about what will pay for SF's giveaway. I would respect them a lot more if they came in saying we will tax everyone earning more than 25k to fix the health and housing. That would be realistic.

And what about the central tenant of my post.

You didnt respond to it at all.

Older people are more conservative. They likely own their own homes, and other than the health situation, this country looks after them, very, very well!

The health situation only looks after old people well if they have private health insurance. If they don't they are stuck on waiting lists.

And what about the central tenant of my post.

You didnt respond to it at all.

What's the central tenant. The land banks? Sure why not, it will bring the cost of labor up because there is serious lack of staff. Unless they want first year apprentices doing all the building.

I have nothing against tax on land hoarding but time for that was before we were at full employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Has Zappone been ejected yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Gino Kelly tipped to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,576 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What's the central tenant. The land banks? Sure why not, it will bring the cost of labor up because there is serious lack of staff. Unless they want first year apprentices doing all the building.

I have nothing against tax on land hoarding but time for that was before we were at full employment.

‘Tenet’..lads...just saying.... carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Has Zappone been ejected yet?

She went for coffee, 3 towns over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭trellheim

That's all grand but FG policies have been seriously hindering multinational growth. Not to mention local business growth

Go down to Barrow St D4, docklands or Sandyford take a look at the cranes. "hindering" lol we're at full employment ffs .... what bit about that isnt to your liking

Advertisement