Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,575 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Gino Kelly tipped to be safe.

Another waster pulled in by SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,405 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ush1 wrote: »
    And Sinn Fein want to get rid of LPT?:confused:

What's local property tax got to do with hording land banks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I'd say FG are secretly happy they didnt get back in.

The country is on the verge of crisis.

Whoever gets in wont be re-elected for a very long time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

‘Tenet’..lads...just saying.... carry on.

Sorry English is not my first language.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

‘Tenet’..lads...just saying.... carry on.

The no builders notion doesn't stand up, lots of the builders are working in other jobs on so so wages,if the work was there and they aren't expected to register as a sole trader, they will go back into construction

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    Sorry English is not my first language.

No need for sorry, just clicking the train back on the tracks, in case of derailment.

Keep her lit...

lawred2 wrote: »
    What's local property tax got to do with hording land banks?

It's a stable tax that doesn't disappear when economy gets in trouble. It's literally the worst tax to drop. That's the stupidity of SF manifesto. They say they will get money from highly mobile companies and individuals with plenty of money for tax advisers and they will drop sensible, reliable taxes that offer guaranteed income. It's reckless tax policy. I have no objection on what they want to spend money on (except bringing down pension age) but their tax policy is bat**** crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,405 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's a stable tax that doesn't disappear when economy gets in trouble. It's literally the worst tax to drop. That's the stupidity of SF manifesto. They say they will get money from highly mobile companies and individuals with plenty of money for tax advisers and they will drop sensible, reliable taxes that offer guaranteed income. It's reckless tax policy. I have no objection on what they want to spend money on (except bringing down pension age) but their tax policy is bat**** crazy.

That's not what I asked.

Vacant land tax and the LPT are completely different topics.

I agree with you on dropping LPT. However I think it should have been a council tax personally. But for what it is now - it's better to have it than drop it.

Totally correct, that was the aim of the last Govt. to establish a tax base that would be stable and predictable and not like what happened in 2008 when FF blew the income from stamp duty and the boom.

Don’t expect the SF clowns seen in the RDS supporting that party to understand that .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

lawred2 wrote: »
    this is why property in Ireland is expensive because it costs nothing to horde land

Exactly, land banks and vacant sites are lying idle while their owners let them increase in value to be sold on to developers at obscene prices whiich contributes to the housing crisis.

Land is an asset, (they're not making any more of it these days) and if they can tax a family home, a land bank tax should be a doddle.

Use the land, or be taxed on it . Simple.

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    Exactly, land banks and vacant sites are lying idle while their owners let them increase in value to be sold on to developers at obscene prices whiich contributes to the housing crisis.

Land is an asset, (they're not making any more of it these days) and if they can tax a family home, a land bank tax should be a doddle.

Use the land, or be taxed on it . Simple.

One of the bigger land hoarders are Dublin councils.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/974667/

But why deal with housing crisis when important issues like should we fly Palestinian flag have to be resolved.

Kate O'Connell lost her seat I see.

Would have preferred Mother Madigan to have been out on her ear, but half a loaf is better than no bread.

Would have preferred Mother Madigan to have been out on her ear, but half a loaf is better than no bread.

I'm sorry to see that, her put downs are brilliant. It's scary that Eoghan Murphy was elected instead of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,177 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Any update on Dublin south Central?
    Looks very tight between John Collins, Catherine's byrne and Catherine Ardagh.
    I would think a lot of the greens transfer will go to Collins?

I'm sorry to see that, her put downs are brilliant. It's scary that Eoghan Murphy was elected instead of her.

She's the owner of multiple pharmacies, and a landlord (I think I read on here) and there's nothing wrong with that at all, but at least she won't exactly be going cap in hand to the SW offices in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭threeball

The numbers are stacking up very badly for Mehole. FG don't have the numbers to form a government with SF even if they wanted to. It's a nightmare scenario for him as the party is splitting over those who will talk and those who won't. Not ideal for MLM either as she really only has one suitor so going back saying we didn't want to dance with one another won't cut it.

Hopefully they have to come together and it wipes them both out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Jizique

Do you not like women politicians?
    Should she be at home minding the kids?
    Did you not support her attempts to improve women’s health and move the country away from the FF-style 1950s when we were ruled by the church?
    Or do you just not like FG?

Jizique wrote: »
    Did you not support her attempts to improve women’s health and move the country away from the FF-style 1950s when we were ruled by the church?

Yeah I noticed quite a few here especially celebrating some women losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Previous crisis/recession/depression caused by out of control house building, narrow tax base and high public sector pay and social welfare.

Sinn Féin 10 years later:
    We'll build lots of houses, narrow the tax base again, and increase spending on public sector and social welfare

Public:
    VOTE FOR THEM!

At least when all the hand-wringing happens afterwards, we can't say we weren't warned this time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah I noticed quite a few here especially celebrating some women losing.

To be fair. Anti female agenda is bull.

Some of the female candidates are very poor just like some of the male candidates.

Is it not ok to say that ?

Making it gender based is ridiculous frankly.

There's some ultra qualify candidates that have made it in from other parties. Personally I don't know what Kate has brought to the table since she won her seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Lot's of female politicians losing their seats. You must be pretty happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

listermint wrote: »
    If you think that will happen....

So Sinn Fein are lying then?

My new best friend Jim O’Callaghan is saying it as it is on RTE 1, and fair fcuking play to him.

Basically telling the hard left to ‘schidt or get off the pot’.

Criticizing FF and FG constantly for the last number of years..... now go on do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,177 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

She's the owner of multiple pharmacies, and a landlord (I think I read on here) and there's nothing wrong with that at all, but at least she won't exactly be going cap in hand to the SW offices in the morning.
    Yep she has a tonne of property, I wouldn't think she will be broke after somehow...her and Eoghan murphy don't get on, would have much preferred get taking a seat

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

trellheim wrote: »
    Go down to Barrow St D4, docklands or Sandyford take a look at the cranes. "hindering" lol we're at full employment ffs .... what bit about that isnt to your liking

I see more low rise rubbish being put up, this is the problem!

My new best friend Jim O’Callaghan is saying it as it is on RTE 1, and fair fcuking play to him.

Basically telling the hard left to ‘schidt or get off the pot’.

Criticizing FF and FG constantly for the last number of years..... now go on do it.

I think that is fair! But I also think its fair to say, FFG are a joke!

listermint wrote: »
    There's some ultra qualify candidates that have made it in from other parties. Personally I don't know what Kate has brought to the table since she won her seat.

She was very strong on the abortion and she tried with some very sensible laws around exploitation of cancer sufferers by different quacks. She could be hardly worse than Eoghan Murphy and he was elected in the same constituency.

I thought Lisa Chambers is also fairly impressive and she lost.

I don't think getting rid of LPT is a great idea BUT at the pathetic rate it is levied at, it bring in 500,000,000 that's one years bloody welfare increase!

I would favour a council tax and a meaningful one!

Jizique wrote: »

I couldn't give a shiny shyte if kate were female or male - I just had her down as someone more interested in the limelight than achieving anything for the electorate of note.

I'd also like to have seen Charlie Flanagan lose his seat. Does that make me against bald men?

I was glad to hear Shane Ross was shown then door, maybe ive an under the surface anti English accent going on there.

I hear the sounds of barrels being scraped now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I only voted for one candidate on Saturday, a woman. Delighted that Regina lost her seat. I'd hazard her attitude on the debate concerning commuters did her serious harm.

Advertisement