Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Water John wrote: »
    CC is the first job. If FF leave the same guy forward, don't think they'll be any major opposition. He has been very fair and popular.

Really depends on the end numbers

FF prob can't allow him if they are only the largest party by 2 seats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Increase inheritance tax from 3% to 36%!!!

Wow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Wow!!!

Not surprising.

SF want to tax wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,059 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Really depends on the end numbers

FF prob can't allow him if they are only the largest party by 2 seats

That's true they'll need every seat they can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Wow!!!

Increase CAT by 3 percent. The current rate is 33 percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,418 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Wow!!!

The devil is in the Detail. We’ll be uncovering some more real gems in the coming weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I’m probably getting ahead of myself but it’ll be interesting to see who is elected Ceann Comhairle in the next dail. You’d assume a SF candidate would be in the mix. Dessie Ellis maybe ?

He'd certainly keep order:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,405 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Geuze wrote: »
    Not surprising.

SF want to tax wealth.

It's also not the worst idea... but I think there should be a reasonable starting point at which it kicks in

extreme generational wealth is a scourge really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭Acosta

https://twitter.com/john_mcguirk/status/1226844404691939328

Agree completely with this.

If you're struggling to put a roof over your head or food on the table do you really give a damn how many women may be elected?

Out of touch.

I'm sure the vast majority of voters are not bothered whether or not a candidate is male or female and will decide to vote for their policies, previous performance and that of their parties.
    However McGurik would have to be the one to comment on it wouldn't he? Some woman or women at some point did a number on that guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Wow!!!

good idea. charge the working poor FIFTY percent when they need it, so what is the problem with 36% when you are in the ground?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

We had the same on 96fm in Cork this morning

Dee Shocks was only concerned about lack of women getting elected

Seems to be for some that's the only thing that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wow!!!
    BY 3%

Inheritance tax is currently 33%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Bill 2.0 wrote: »
    We're 3rd on the Human Development Index.

If you are eating out of bins then you are the problem, not FF or FG.

We live in one of the greastest nations on the planet and people here act like they are hard done by. It's ****ing bonkers.

Chillax amigo.
    Just quoting FG regarding FF. 'Member? When FF were the worst thing in the world, right up until FG needed them to stay in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Just curious.

So far SF are 36 seats elected for 42 candidates put forward. That's an 85% success rate.

Has that ever been done before, or are we really experiencing something unique in Irish politics?

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's also not the worst idea... but I think there should be a reasonable starting point at which it kicks in

extreme generational wealth is a scourge really

CAT starts at 335k approx, for parent to child.

It's approx 30-35k for aunts to nephews, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,553 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I would see SF + FF might be close on the 80. It looks like Greens and Soc Dems will be quite willing to be involved. That takes you to 90/95.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I was told of some female commentator on radio, somewhere, lamenting the loss of so many women TDs and how it was anti-women.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    good idea. charge the working poor FIFTY percent when they need it, so what is the problem with 36% when you are in the ground?!

CAT applies to gifts also, not just inheritance.

The argument against this is that the underlying income used to buy the asset has already been taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

efanton wrote: »
    Just curious.

So far SF are 36 seats elected for 42 candidates put forward. That's an 85% success rate.

Has that ever been done before, or are we really experiencing something unique in Irish politics?

Think labour did something similar once.

33/42 in 1992 iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Not surprising.

SF want to tax wealth.

It's currently 33% and they are proposing raising it to 36%. This is being misrepresented by some - the same as some are trying to say they're claiming they can build 65k houses.

Anyway, did not fg say LPT is a tax on wealth, and SF say they want to scrap it. Swings and roundabouts so far as I can see.

Not that I see them implementing either, but it's nice to see the dramatics at play.

https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/results/#/national/laois-offaly

Carol Nolan seems to be safe now and she would have been SF if they had only let her stand. I assume they will try to re-admit her to the party although I think life would be simpler and more satisfying outside the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It's hilarious to listen to all the people saying what SF/Mary Lou won't be able to do... :D

100 years and FFFG couldn't do sh*t that they didn't benefit from. Shallow waters and all that..

McMurphy wrote: »
    It's currently 33% and they are proposing raising it to 36%. This is being misrepresented by some - the same as some are trying to say they're claiming they can build 65k houses.

Anyway, did not fg say LPT is a tax on wealth, and SF say they want to scrap it. Swings and roundabouts so far as I can see.

Not that I see them implementing either, but it's nice to see the dramatics at play.
    hmmm; 36% is a big number.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Now take away the €14bn Apple money that SF have included in their figures, let’s say we get to keep €3bn of that(which is an overestimate).

Can you point us towards a source that states that Ireland will not receive the 13bn from Apple? And I dont mean Dan o'Brien swallowing Fine Gael spin hook line and sinker in the Indo.

Because right now nobody can say with certainty where that 13bn will end up. What we do know is that the European Commission under Margaret Verstager ruled that the 13bn is to go to Ireland because a 1980s FF governemt did a sweetheart deal with Apple to facilitate them avoiding taxes. FF knew this, the Dept of Finance knew this and Revenue knew this. That is the ruling as it stands and that is what now under appeal in the European Courts.

So unless you have a source who is a judge in the European Court of Justice and has told you personally how they are going to rule in advance of actually hearing the court case then can you please stop spreading this rubbish across multiple threads stating categorically that Ireland will not recieve the 13bn? You simply dont know that, nobody does, so claiming it is nothing more than the same Fine Gael spin that Dan o'Brien and his ilk have put into peoples heads.

Whats worse is FGers have voluntarily lost their sense of critical evaluation because it actually suits their political narrative for Ireland not to get the 13bn. They're jumping up and down hoping that the European Courts of Justice rule against Ireland on a windfall tax ruling that would allow us to build hospitals, schools and badly needed transport infrastructure. Irish patriots they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

CAT applies to gifts also, not just inheritance.

The argument against this is that the underlying income used to buy the asset has already been taxed.

I get that, I dont agree with it... the FIFTY percent marginal rate, is stupidly high and deters extra hours, promotions etc. in that context, 33 or 36% whatever CAT , is an irrelevance...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭Acosta

In my area of Cork SW progressive, pro choice Holly Cairns has been elected. The first time a party outside of FG,FF and Labour have got in. And Margaret Murphy O'Mahony Murphy and her youth defence posters is gone. Happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I see the woman with bright ideas about immigrants got in in Wexford and Kehoe survived. Thought he was done for earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

hmmm; 36% is a big number.

If is - however the 3% raise proposed is a hell of a lot less than the 33% some people thought It was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

CAT starts at 335k approx, for parent to child.

It's approx 30-35k for aunts to nephews, etc.

Thanks for pointing this out. People always seem to 'forget' that most taxes only kick in over a certain threshold, and that there's usually a tax-free amount before any taxes are due.

What percentage of people inherit assets worth above 335k? How many people get gifts of over 35k from close relatives?

A small increase in CGT from 33% to 36% is only going to affect a small percentage of people.

Advertisement