Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Acosta wrote: »
    In my area of Cork SW progressive, pro choice Holly Cairns has been elected. The first time a party outside of FG,FF and Labour have got in. And Margaret Murphy O'Mahony Murphy and her youth defence posters is gone. Happy enough with that.

Some result getting 2 TD's from the one house

Dee Shocks was complaining about the quality of female candidates yet defending gender quotas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

My area is FF/FG free for the first time in my lifetime. The SD didn't get in but this is amazing. It feels like a crony dip it's hand in your pocket greasy b****** weight has been lifted :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Can see this causing major rifts in FF. Messages so far are divided.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    We had the same on 96fm in Cork this morning

Dee Shocks was only concerned about lack of women getting elected

Seems to be for some that's the only thing that matters

As is often said in sport, "if you are good enough your big enough"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

if this country wants to turn on the euro afterburners. sort out the anti development local councils and reduce the marginal rate of tax!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    It's a statement of fact that the majority of people would agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I get that, I dont agree with it... the FIFTY percent marginal rate, is stupidly high and deters extra hours, promotions etc. in that context, 33 or 36% whatever CAT , is an irrelevance...

I agree that the 50% MTR on average incomes is crazy.

Very proud to say my constituency didn’t elect a dirty shinner. An excellent independent and an FG who I has as 1 and 2 on my vote and one FF to fill the 3rd seat.
    Thanks for pointing this out. People always seem to 'forget' that most taxes only kick in over a certain threshold, and that there's usually a tax-free amount before any taxes are due.

What percentage of people inherit assets worth above 335k? How many people get gifts of over 35k from close relatives?

A small increase in CGT from 33% to 36% is only going to affect a small percentage of people.

It’s a filthy tax that should be totally abolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Kelly (Lab) and Cahill (FF) elected without reaching the quota.

McMurphy wrote: »
    If is - however the 3% raise proposed is a hell of a lot less than the 33% some people thought It was.
    Yes, but 36% is a big percentage and people of very modest means who aren't corporate fat cats will fall foul of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,059 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

ChikiChiki wrote: »

It's all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Not enough female candidates were chosen because they didn't have the effect on their electorate they needed, nothing to do with gender.

Like the whole Oscars bollocks. It's not because you're a woman, it's because you were ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Yes, but 36% is a big percentage and people of very modest means who aren't corporate fat cats will fall foul of it.

Modest means? 335K is modest? Get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

McMurphy wrote: »

About time. If ever there was a slap in the face to the electorate it was off this chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Geuze wrote: »
    https://www.sinnfein.ie/files/2020/SF_GE2020_Manifesto.pdf

GIVING WORKERS AND FAMILIES A BREAK – Tax Spend €2.4 BILLION
    - Abolish USC on the first €30,000 earned €1,219 million
    - Abolish Local Property Tax €485 million
    - Increase Earned Income Credit to €1,650 €35 million
    - 1 month rent relief €301 million
    - Retain Mortgage interest relief €35 million
    - Restore tax credit for trade union membership €40 million
    - End Motor tax surcharge for quarterly and 6-month payments €43 million
    - Abolish 3% stamp duty on non-life insurance policies €160 million
    - Abolish 2% levy on non-life insurance policies €69 million

That reminds me my motor tax is up. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Not enough female candidates were chosen because they didn't have the effect on their electorate they needed, nothing to do with gender.

Like the whole Oscars bollocks. It's not because you're a woman, it's because you were ****e.

More than 50% of population is female.....surely if candidates were anyway credible they’d do well??

Happy my constituency elected 2female TDS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can you point us towards a source that states that Ireland will not receive the 13bn from Apple? And I dont mean Dan o'Brien swallowing Fine Gael spin hook line and sinker in the Indo.

Because right now nobody can say with certainty where that 13bn will end up. What we do know is that the European Commission under Margaret Verstager ruled that the 13bn is to go to Ireland because a 1980s FF governemt did a sweetheart deal with Apple to facilitate them avoiding taxes. FF knew this, the Dept of Finance knew this and Revenue knew this. That is the ruling as it stands and that is what now under appeal in the European Courts.

So unless you have a source who is a judge in the European Court of Justice and has told you personally how they are going to rule in advance of actually hearing the court case then can you please stop spreading this rubbish across multiple threads stating categorically that Ireland will not recieve the 13bn? You simply dont know that, nobody does, so claiming it is nothing more than the same Fine Gael spin that Dan o'Brien and his ilk have put into peoples heads.

Whats worse is FGers have voluntarily lost their sense of critical evaluation because it actually suits their political narrative for Ireland not to get the 13bn. They're jumping up and down hoping that the European Courts of Justice rule against Ireland on a windfall tax ruling that would allow us to build hospitals, schools and badly needed transport infrastructure. Irish patriots they are not.
    Vestager said other EU countries will now have the option to try and take a piece of the tax pie if they can prove some of Apple’s profits that went tax-free in Ireland were really based on sales that should have been recorded in their territories.
    US authorities could further claim part of the profits if they decided more was due in Apple’s home country for intellectual property or other intra-company dealings.
    Any significant windfall that eventually makes its way to the Irish state will be required to go towards the Republic’s debt bill, rather than to be used on fresh spending.

Some countries have already submitted responses claiming a significant chunk of the €13bn.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can you point us towards a source that states that Ireland will not receive the 13bn from Apple? And I dont mean Dan o'Brien swallowing Fine Gael spin hook line and sinker in the Indo.

Because right now nobody can say with certainty where that 13bn will end up. What we do know is that the European Commission under Margaret Verstager ruled that the 13bn is to go to Ireland because a 1980s FF governemt did a sweetheart deal with Apple to facilitate them avoiding taxes. FF knew this, the Dept of Finance knew this and Revenue knew this. That is the ruling as it stands and that is what now under appeal in the European Courts.

So unless you have a source who is a judge in the European Court of Justice and has told you personally how they are going to rule in advance of actually hearing the court case then can you please stop spreading this rubbish across multiple threads stating categorically that Ireland will not recieve the 13bn? You simply dont know that, nobody does, so claiming it is nothing more than the same Fine Gael spin that Dan o'Brien and his ilk have put into peoples heads.

Whats worse is FGers have voluntarily lost their sense of critical evaluation because it actually suits their political narrative for Ireland not to get the 13bn. They're jumping up and down hoping that the European Courts of Justice rule against Ireland on a windfall tax ruling that would allow us to build hospitals, schools and badly needed transport infrastructure. Irish patriots they are not.

BIB And they wonder why the electorate has rejected them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Looking through the stats on the RTE page, but struggling to figure out where the extra votes are coming from after the 2nd count in a few constituencies, but when nobody seems to have been eliminated after the first round. It makes sense in the subsequent counts as the votes get redistributed, just not for count 2?

eg Count 2 in Dublin Mid-West. Where do the 2187 extra votes for SF come from when nobody has been eliminated?

https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/results/#/national/dublin-mid-west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Geuze wrote: »
    The argument against this is that the underlying income used to buy the asset has already been taxed.
    That argument doesn't really hold up though, since virtually all income has been previously taxed elsewhere.

Tax is generally charged whenever wealth is transferred from one entity to another. That's the fundamental of it. The money used to buy stuff from my employer has previously been taxed, they transfer it to me, I pay tax on it. I use it to pay my mortgage. The bank uses that to pay interest. The recipient pays DIRT on that interest. They use that profit to buy a car. The dealership uses that to pay commission to the salesman. He pays tax on his commission. And so on.

So in that vein, there's nothing remotely strange about CAT, and arguably it's the fairest of all taxes since the it's only charged on unearned income.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Very proud to say my constituency didn’t elect a dirty shinner. An excellent independent and an FG who I has as 1 and 2 on my vote and one FF to fill the 3rd seat.

It’s a filthy tax that should be totally abolished.

Institutionalised wealth is a global problem.

Only people cribbing about that tax is folks that have the wealth to control the narrative on it. Make it look like it impacts everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

GooglePlus wrote: »

Oh but you can't say that. If they're ****e, keep it to yourself, can't be upsetting people.

You do know who votes don't you? So women are biased against the same gender as well...!?

Modest means? 335K is modest? Get a grip.
    You know that the 335k isn't a lump of cash. It is probably a house that your parent is passing to you which you haven't lived in and then you have to get yourself in to a who heap of debt to pay the inheritance tax.
    See how little 335k buys in Dublin and then you go follow your own advice and get a grip of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You know that the 335k isn't a lump of cash. It is probably a house that your parent is passing to you which you haven't lived in and then you have to get yourself in to a who heap of debt to pay the inheritance tax.
    See how little 335k buys in Dublin and then you go follow your own advice and get a grip of yourself.

Sell the house and pay off the tax. It's free money. You did nothing for it.

Nothing .

Thought you were all for the middle income working person getting up in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

robinph wrote: »
    Looking through the stats on the RTE page, but struggling to figure out where the extra votes are coming from after the 2nd count in a few constituencies, but when nobody seems to have been eliminated after the first round. It makes sense in the subsequent counts as the votes get redistributed, just not for count 2?

eg Count 2 in Dublin Mid-West. Where do the 2187 extra votes for SF come from when nobody has been eliminated?

Surplus from the candidate over the quota.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

robinph wrote: »

Transfers from Eoin O'Broin.

The quota is 9,091 and EOB got 11,842. So he has 2,751 extra votes, which then get redistributed based on the #2 preferences in his tally. In this case, nearly 80% of EOB's second preferences were for Mark Ward. So he got nearly 80% of the transfers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yurt! wrote: »
    Surplus from the candidate over the quota.

Doh!

Not clear from the charts what was going on, but otherwise very good charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,405 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

most people buy their own homes

so houses inherited often results in people owning multiple homes. Why should a second/third home be exempt simply because it's inherited?

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Sell the house and pay off the tax. It's free money. You didn't nothing for it.

Nothing .
    Making a note to myself to not strive to better myself, spend all my money and leave my offspring financially insecure.

Advertisement