Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

namloc1980 wrote: »
    After the useless Shane Ross and Katherine Zappone experience I truly hope no independent is given a ministry ever again. I'd like to see the Greens in with FF and FG. Otherwise we'll get the same old road centric and dispersed housing shiite we've had for generations.

As someone building rurally and who would people to be able to continue to do so in the next generations this is exactly why I don’t want the greens getting in along with their idiotic ideas that things like the cork-limerick motorway and Galway city ring road aren't needed. Terrible policies only fit for the bin.
    I have to admit I didn't do this myself. But this is one of the few times in many elections that my first preference vote has got a seat so I have been following the count very closely and now see the importance of it. There should be more guidance on this pre-election. Many people don't fully understand how vote transfers work.

I only give numbers to people I want my vote or would tolerate. No way would I have even give a very high number to someone I don’t want on the off chance they somehow got my transfer.

efanton wrote: »
    I agree it was a step in the right direction, but bear in mind those increase barely matched the increases in property values.
    FG had to build budgets. They can't control property price appreciation at the flick of a switch. The worst you can accuse them of here is having been too conservative and too prudent.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kal7

FG or FF should give SF the health and housing posts and then we will see how they do in government, especially with lots of free stuff for us all and no water charges etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,418 ✭✭✭✭road_high

kal7 wrote: »
    FG or FF should give SF the health and housing posts and then we will see how they do in government, especially with lots of free stuff for us all and no water charges etc

The SF mandate has these at their very core. They must be handed to them and be scrutinsied on delivery. That's when the real delusion will start.
    Looking at the even poorer than thought tally of FF seats comign through, a left/hard left Alliance lead by SF would seem to be what the electorate have asked for. In light of the above issues especially. The reticence to now govern I have to say is deafening- it's all "about the next election".....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Do FF and FG control who gets what department? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

Bertie Ahern was conniving enough to suggest this on TV yesterday. I'd imagine SF are not going to be shafted by any coalition partner this time. They are much more powerful than Greens/PDs/Labour were in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

FG had to build budgets. They can't control property price appreciation at the flick of a switch. The worst you can accuse them of here is having been too conservative and too prudent.

Not at all. There was plenty of fiscal space to restore the threshold to at least €400,000 had they changed the rules so that the threshold applied only to the first property bequeathed. In fact that change would probably have produced a small surplus.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whitecarstones

Barry Cowen on RTE very very bitter about Sinn Fein. Looks like hes going to cry with anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Bertie Ahern was conniving enough to suggest this on TV yesterday. I'd imagine SF are not going to be shafted by any coalition partner this time. They are much more powerful than Greens/PDs/Labour were in the past.

That might be true but they won because people are hoping for change in those two areas. If they do nothing they might be in trouble next time.

Barry Cowen on RTE very very bitter about Sinn Fein. Looks like hes going to cry with anger.

The interviews with the old guard are so entertaining. You can almost see the bile rising up in the throat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Christy42

As someone building rurally and who would people to be able to continue to do so in the next generations this is exactly why I don’t want the greens getting in along with their idiotic ideas that things like the cork-limerick motorway and Galway city ring road aren't needed. Terrible policies only fit for the bin.

I only give numbers to people I want my vote or would tolerate. No way would I have even give a very high number to someone I don’t want on the off chance they somehow got my transfer.

If your vote gets discarded the quota effectively gets reduced.

You should only stop if you truly have no preference between the remaining candidates in the list. One way or another your vote gets used to help one of them if your first choices get knocked out or have a big excess.

McMurphy wrote: »
    People are idiots because they voted for a party you didn't want them to?

Did I read somewhere that FG and their supporters have a reputation for being extremely condescending, and dripping with arrogance?

I'm sure I did.

Yes, anyone who voted for SF is an idiot. They are a terrible party, terrible history (much of it very recent history), terrible policies and totally clueless.

When people realise this and they are dumped back to obscurity I just hope they haven’t done irreparable damage to the country.
    Christy42 wrote: »
    If your vote gets discarded the quota effectively gets reduced.

You should only stop if you truly have no preference between the remaining candidates in the list. One way or another your vote gets used to help one of them if your first choices get knocked out or have a big excess.

I usually go down to 5th or 6th preference and stop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That's probably not going to be their decision to make. FG have smaller numbers, so depending on who either get on their side, it may not be at all.
    Oh Wise Bertie who got the country crumbling and then ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,057 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Timmy Dooley is gone in clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Some countries have already submitted responses claiming a significant chunk of the €13bn.

I've asked you for a source that confirms without any doubt that Ireland will not get to keep the 13bn. You've been claiming across multiple threads that this is the case. As I said unless you have some inside info from judges in the European Court of Justice then you're talking crap. No-one knows what will happen the 13bn until that court ruling. If you cant see that then you're being willfully blind.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Timmy Dooley is gone in clare.

Delighted

road_high wrote: »
    The SF mandate has these at their very core. They must be handed to them and be scrutinsied on delivery. That's when the real delusion will start

In theory it sounds like a logical solution, but in practice you could never expect a SF minister to deliver because they would have no control over the budget.
    Unless of course you are also suggesting a SF finance minister as well.

How could you expect any minister to deliver a policy unless they have the budget to actually cover it and it was not tampered with in the course of the term of government. But we both know that would never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

A good day for the SocDems. Labour look absolutely lost

Not at all. There was plenty of fiscal space to restore the threshold to at least €400,000 had they changed the rules so that the threshold applied only to the first property bequeathed. In fact that change would probably have produced a small surplus.
    You do realise that FG were in a confidence and supply deal with FF and FF only wanted social welfare sweeties for the public. FF didn't want to have to deal with the negative reports from the harder left parties on this topic. increasing thresholds would have been good but FG have had their hands tied for the duration of their last term. FF deserve more abuse that they have got.
    It was never in FGs DNA to give €5 increases in social welfare year after year while giving the working poor maybe 50 cent or 1 euro in tax reductions in the same budgets.
    Those FG budgets were uncharacteristically un-FG type budgets.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I've asked you for a source that confirms without any doubt that Ireland will not get to keep the 13bn. You've been claiming across multiple threads that this is the case. As I said unless you have some inside info from judges in the European Court of Justice then you're talking crap. No-one knows what will happen the 13bn until that court ruling. If you cant see that then you're being willfully blind.

FACT Ireland would not get the 13 billion, even SF acknowledge that.

That 13 billion is tax not paid for goods paid in many countries not just Ireland.

But Ireland would get the appropriate amount for goods and services bought or sold in Ireland. That would still add up to a considerable amount of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,418 ✭✭✭✭road_high

In theory it sounds like a logical solution, but in practice you could never expect a SF minister to deliver because they would have no control over the budget.
    Unless of course you are also suggesting a SF finance minister as well.

How could you expect any minister to deliver a policy unless they have the budget to actually cover it and it was not tampered with in the course of the term of government. But we both know that would never happen.

Depends on how the government formation falls. No reason why SF wouldn’t control Finance is there? Either way if you’re part of a government it becomes irrelevant who’s in Finance- SF will have to shift the default blame everyone else mantra. The goalposts have now shifted

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This right here is what pushed the votes to tbh. Only two weeks ago you had rte putting out a prime time debate with two people on it. As if they were the only two choices.

This is what people saw through.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whitecarstones

The interviews with the old guard are so entertaining. You can almost see the bile rising up in the throat.

He was paticularly bad. Like a big child. Sulking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EU_illegal_State_aid_case_against_Apple_in_Ireland#Fine_(2016)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It’s the only hope the country has for a bit of stability and a decent outlook going forward. People are total idiots voting so much for SF. Totally ignoring how well the county has done under FG.

The only positive of SF getting into gov is to allow themselves demonstrate they haven’t a clue and can’t even nearly achieve anything they have claimed and put them back under their rock at the next election.

This attitude is hilarious.

It's the electorate's fault for not returning FG. Nothing at all to do with their failure on key issues, internal corruption, and mistaking Brexit as the be all and end all.

Tell me again how well FG are doing in health, housing, infrastructure and reform? I'll save you the effort - they haven't!

Any FGer who's angry at the result should be lodging their complaints to HQ, not the voters who didn't buy the spin, auction politics, and promises that THIS time it'll be different, honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

The sf scummers are in the pubs today spending the dole money watching the results in tv while the fools like us are in work to pay for it. What a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Malcolm Noonan in Carlow, that's a real Green, woolly scarf , chord jacket, no hipster glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I have given you a direct quote from the VP of the European Commission who is overseeing this case, you cannot get better than that.

Unfortunately I am not privy to documents in an ongoing legal case.

If you can’t comprehend this, then that’s on you, you can believe what you want.

I’d be happy to place a wager with you, proceeds going to a charity, that what I have said is correct. It’s zero risk for me as the €13bn tax deficit is from Apple sales across the EU.

Are you happy to take this wager?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

Yes, anyone who voted for SF is an idiot. They are a terrible party, terrible history (much of it very recent history), terrible policies and totally clueless.

If we accept that as true.

They're as good as the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Zetor19 wrote: »
    The sf scummers are in the pubs today spending the dole money watching the results in tv while the fools like us are in work to pay for it. What a country.

24% of the population that voted for SF are scummers on the dole? You realise such a stupid comment makes you out to be an idiot?

Advertisement