Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,175 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Listening to Danny Healy Rae on RTE. His personality has to be an act.

It has to be seriously!
    With him I don't think it is tbh....with his brother it's defo an act the cute hoor!
    The thing is there are another 4 or 5 more healy-raes coming behind as well!
    Including one of their sons (another Jackie) who battered an innocent guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭trellheim

I haven't looked at the independents really . Any decent skins there or is it all Canney McLowry single issue types

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

This is it wrote: »
    Apparently he said all those who voted Sinn Fein are stupid, or something similar. I don't know how accurate that is, it's why I'm looking for a link.

Newstalk is full of dinosaurs. The presenters are often so out of touch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Apparently he said all those who voted Sinn Fein are stupid, or something similar. I don't know how accurate that is, it's why I'm looking for a link.

Good lord, where did you hear/see that? He stated nothing of the sort. It was mentioned that people had wanted to vote for Mary Lou and had wrote this on the ballot paper, seemingly not understanding it was a local election, not a national one like the presidency. He ended it by questioning are people that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭This is it

Fair play to SF and the results. Not that I am overjoyed, but accept it as democracy in action.

However... if SF refuse to enter coalition if it is feasible (given the numbers and the possible invitations/negotiations) that is not on. Sitting on the fence will do them no favours, people want to see what they will deliver now. They have a huge mandate to get in there and CHANGE things, they need to show us what they mean.

I don't think there will be an FFG coalition this time around. FG seem to be ok being in opposition for a while. But sure who knows?

A week is a long time in politics as they say. But FFG coalition will enrage people even more I think, and play right into the hands of SF next time around.

BUT FFG could up their game and do what people want if they do coalesce. But they will still be punished. Need SF to make decisions really.

Fascinating election all round.

There is very little that can happen in the coming days that won't help SF. If they remain in opposition they'll destroy the others in the next GE, if no government is formed and we return to the polls they also destroy the others because they'll run more candidates. As was said plenty of times already, they're in a pretty much no lose situation here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭trellheim

But FFG coalition will enrage people even more I think

If FF + FG + Green make over 80 - i.e. a majority, by definition its the will of the people as expressed by a majority

Plenty here banging on about the people have spoken but thats possibly the best expression of it.

in any event we'll see about the smoke filled room . Leo is Taoiseach until a new one gets the nod

Newstalk is full of dinosaurs. The presenters are often so out of touch

Kenny has always been a prick however.

They know their target audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭This is it

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Good lord, where did you hear/see that? He stated nothing of the sort. It was mentioned that people had wanted to vote for Mary Lou and had wrote this on the ballot paper, seemingly not understanding it was a local election, not a national one like the presidency. He ended it by questioning are people that stupid.

Fair enough, again, it's why I'm asking for a link. It was mentioned to me in passing, I had a brief Google but could only find some Twitter posts. Would've thought if it were true there'd be more than a few mentions of it in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There is very little that can happen in the coming days that won't help SF. If they remain in opposition they'll destroy the others in the next GE, if no government is formed and we return to the polls they also destroy the others because they'll run more candidates. As was said plenty of times already, they're in a pretty much no lose situation here.

I hear ya.

But really if they do not go into Government if they can is just ridiculous. And hopefully people will see through it. But early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭Odhinn

It leaves us Shinners with a deep existential question though - Has ar la finally come?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭threeball

I wouldn't be so sure. low turn out of the older generation on saturday due to the weather coupled with having to split their vote could end up very differently for them next time. They have their chance. They might not get another.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

He actually didn't. It was about people voting for them but not knowing their policies or something like that

Edit, clarified above already of the exact context.

Well I for one really want to see SF in Government now.

It's all up for grabs and who knows it might just work out great for them. Bet they have a plan....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

threeball wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure. low turn out of the older generation on saturday due to the weather coupled with having to split their vote could end up very differently for them next time. They have their chance. They might not get another.
    If as it seems it's a protest vote they can evaporate quite quickly. They do have make a good effort up to and including being prepared to make concessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Odhinn wrote: »
    It leaves us Shinners with a deep existential question though - Has ar la finally come?

Yes, it has, get out from under your slates and walk the walk.

The time has come...... if you don’t you will prove what a lot of folk think... you are just a bunch of windbags and jerks who want to live high on the Hogg and take no responsibility.

The time has come to show us what you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

gmisk wrote: »
    With him I don't think it is tbh....with his brother it's defo an act the cute hoor!
    The thing is there are another 4 or 5 more healy-raes coming behind as well!
    Including one of their sons (another Jackie) who battered an innocent guy.

I bet off air he sounds like sideshow bob. Yeah heard about the young lads beating the guy, terrible stuff.

is_that_so wrote: »
    If as it seems it's a protest vote they can evaporate quite quickly. They do have make a good effort up to and including being prepared to make concessions.

Absolutely, I think if they faff about now that a lot of the people that voted for them will lose interest in them very quickly. A labour candidate said last night that the SF vote could melt like snow in a bowl, not many know that better than Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,550 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So SF + FF gets to 75
    Greens + Soc Dems is 18
    Would be my most likely thinking.
    PBP wouldn't be stable enough and very much a protest vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

trellheim wrote: »
    If FF + FG + Green make over 80 - i.e. a majority, by definition its the will of the people as expressed by a majority

Plenty here banging on about the people have spoken but thats possibly the best expression of it.

in any event we'll see about the smoke filled room . Leo is Taoiseach until a new one gets the nod

If they can form a government, they should, SF would be happy in oposition. I don't see that group staying in power for long. SF should then run more candidates and put FFG out of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

dentleybu wrote: »
    Good question here, why are FG always the poll-toppers in Mayo? What is it about Mayo in particular that the majority of the electorate vote FG?

Recent Taoiseach

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    So SF + FF gets to 75
    Greens + Soc Dems is 18

Greens should avoid government like the plague. I've a feeling it could have a short shelf life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

That can’t be the only reason.

I always associated the west rural counties with voting FF.

Not the only reason but a big factor, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Recent Taoiseach

Lottery funding and Ring fixed the road!

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Recent Taoiseach

No, FG have been the main party in Mayo for decades. Only the likes of P Flynn ever made inroads on the FG vote. They often returned 3 FG candidates with plenty to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,550 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Kenny was always a poor vote getter. Ring was always the poll topper.

So SF + FF gets to 75
    Greens + Soc Dems is 18

Will SF step up to the plate though? Hopefully they will, and be given any portfolio other than Justice or Finance for now anyway.

A FFG coalition looking unlikely now. But stranger things have happened I suppose.

As a matter of interest, how are portfolios distributed in a multi party coalition? Apologies for being a lazy git. I suppose it is all down to negotiation and who has the largest vote share or something.

That can’t be the only reason.

I always associated the west rural counties with voting FF.

North Galway would be fairly evenly split between FF and FG. West Galway predominantly FF

• Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

So SF + FF gets to 75
    Greens + Soc Dems is 18

Would like to see those wasters called out John, PBP I mean.

Bunch of tools screwing the taxpayer and doing nothing.

Time to call those cretins out.

Lot of slates being lifted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Will SF step up to the plate though? Hopefully they will, and be given any portfolio other than Justice or Finance for now anyway.

A FFG coalition looking unlikely now. But stranger things have happened I suppose.

As a matter of interest, how are portfolios distributed in a multi party coalition? Apologies for being a lazy git. I suppose it is all down to negotiation and who has the largest vote share or something.

We've never had a coalition with two essentially evenly sized parties. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. Mary Lou will have as much a right to look to be Taoiseach as Martin especially if, as it looks like, they'll end up within 1 seat of each other.

• Advertisement

Yes but if you look at surrounding constituencies it’s either FF or SF who got the majority. Mayo is the odd one out.

Why is there always an FG majority there?

No, north Galway FG and FF, Roscommon would be FF and FG also. West Galway FF and Sligo FF

Advertisement