Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,550 ✭✭✭✭Water John

SF are now equal to FF. The electorate have decided that. All offices and policy for negotiation.

IF FF and FG can't live with that, they have to come together. They can add Greens and/or Inds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

If they can form a government, they should, SF would be happy in oposition. I don't see that group staying in power for long. SF should then run more candidates and put FFG out of power.

If its ffgg (fianna fail, fine gael, green) then sf and pbp would be very vocal as the main opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Would like to see those wasters called out John, PBP I mean.

Bunch of tools screwing the taxpayer and doing nothing.

Time to call those cretins out.

Lot of slates being lifted here.
    You and several others are going to give yourselfs an ulcer. This level of bile and anger can't be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

threeball wrote: »
    Greens should avoid government like the plague. I've a feeling it could have a short shelf life.

The only non greens government that has the numbers would be national government, grand alliance plus SD, Lab and indies. I can't see either SD or lab being interested so then you're looking at basically grand alliance plus 10 independents

• Registered Users Posts: 69,243 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You and several others are going to give yourselfs an ulcer. This level of bile and anger can't be good.

All day long, from here to Joe Duffy and back.

Anger and bile.

Seismic weekend alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,550 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Greens are better off having a second small party like SD with them if they join two of the big parties.
    Two big parties and two smaller parties. Better balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Amazing to think if sinn fein had just run a few more candidates then we'd potentially be looking at Mary Lou as taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,057 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    We've never had a coalition with two essentially evenly sized parties. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. Mary Lou will have as much a right to look to be Taoiseach as Martin especially if, as it looks like, they'll end up within 1 seat of each other.

it'll be very interesting because as you've said we've always had a big and a small coalition party. How that plays out could be more interesting than the election itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

:D JAysus.... you could be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,057 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Amazing to think if sinn fein had just run a few more candidates then we'd potentially be looking at Mary Lou as taoiseach.

It's a lesson learnt for the future. But it understandable why they didn't run more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That's still a distinct possibility. SF have 37 seats, the most FF can get now is 38 which includes the automatic ceann comhairle seat. They basically elected the same number of TDs and SF have 2.3% more first preferences and are the most popular party in the state. Mary Lou has a very good argument to be the Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

She could still be, if FF and SF have similar numbers of seats, as a pp pointed out.

Depends I would think on the votes if a third or fourth group need to coalesce to reach the numbers. Would be great fun if she did become Taoiseach. Does that term need a female version as Gaeilge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

They are being shafted by free market economics of FF FG. A party who fixes health /housing/transport would save me more money than a very significant tax cut. Those over 100 k are less than 1% of the wage earning population and can easily afford more
    ^This
    There are a myriad of ways to reduce the cost of living for workers of all income brackets than straightforward tax cuts with the added benefit we improve the above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Looks like only 1 FF seat in Donegal, Pat the cope loosing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Who will emerge as largest party?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Kenny has always been a prick however.

They know their target audience.

Ah Pat Kenny is alright, just dont invite him around for a BBQ in case you lose your garden :pac:

Just searched Paddy Power for her odds to be next Taoiseach and they've closed the market. She was 20/1 before the election so presuming the bookies are trying to limit their potential losses.

She could still be, if FF and SF have similar numbers of seats, as a pp pointed out.

Depends I would think on the votes if a third or fourth group need to coalesce to reach the numbers. Would be great fun if she did become Taoiseach. Does that term need a female version as Gaeilge?

No it doesn’t , a chief is a chief, irrespective of gender.

Glad you think it would be “fun” ..... I take it you are not a taxpayer, a householder, or someone who has an interest in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

C__MC wrote: »

SF most popular. FF may have most seats with 38 over SF with 37. Possibility they'll both end up on 37 also as FF are struggling in some of the late counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Looks like only 1 FF seat in Donegal, Pat the cope loosing out.

That (as well as Cassells' failure) has me wondering, have FF TDs who opposed the Repeal referendum fared worse than their pro-referendum comrades?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Mary Lou won't be Taoiseach.

While it is true that FF might form a Coalition with SF, that would only be because MM would sell his mother to ensure that he does not go down in history as the first FF leader to not become Taoiseach.
    If SF became the bigger party/Mary Lou was to be Taoiseach, FF would not form a coalition with them.
    MM wouldn't be arsed if it ruled him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

If they can form a government, they should, SF would be happy in oposition. I don't see that group staying in power for long. SF should then run more candidates and put FFG out of power.

If FF did go in with with FG I don't think it'll go the way you think.

Both sides would keep that together for nearly the full term, as they'll hope 4 or 5 years time should be enough for the likely improvement in housing and health. Now that they have it, they will spend money to keep people happy and if there is an economic downturn voters will think more about the economy/jobs rather than more tax and spending.

SF has shown it moves in whatever direction benefits them the most, rather than any real political beliefs, so I expect them to scrap up whatever parts of their manifesto to make a deal with FF and get into power. They knew a lot of it was unachievable anyway so this will give them that excuse

‘Up the RA ‘is now a “cultural expression” apparently.

Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No it doesn’t , a chief is a chief, irrespective of gender.

Glad you think it would be “fun” ..... I take it you are not a taxpayer, a householder, or someone who has an interest in the future.

Thanks for the clarification about the term Taoiseach.

I am all three of the above descriptions actually. Perhaps fun was not the right word, interesting, different, challenging on many levels. A female and a Shinner. Whoa!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,575 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Forming a government should be fun with these numbers!

Be surprised if it lasts a year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

That (as well as Cassells' failure) has me wondering, have FF TDs who opposed the Repeal referendum fared worse than their pro-referendum comrades?

Possibility, but I think the SF surge has done the damage, it looks close between the 2 FF candidates, Pringle and the FG candidate.

I think SF could have got 3 seats if they ran another candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

Suckit wrote: »
    Mary Lou won't be Taoiseach.

While it is true that FF might form a Coalition with SF, that would only be because MM would sell his mother to ensure that he does not go down in history as the first FF leader to not become Taoiseach.
    If SF became the bigger party/Mary Lou was to be Taoiseach, FF would not form a coalition with them.
    MM wouldn't be arsed if it ruled him out.

But what about the country Meehawl? The country

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

C__MC wrote: »

Ivan Yates predicted 60 seats for Fianna Fail, 17 for SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

6 wrote: »

Same thing was said about the confidence and supply

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

6 wrote: »

I would have said over a year last week now I'm not so sure. I think it could take quite a while for any government shape to emerge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

hasnt impacted jack chambers although he got a load of transfers from aontu presumably as a pro life voting block.

I don't think its an issue people cared about as any of those "i was there at the front of repeal" candidates like rita harrold had absolutely no traction similarly the canidates who were against it don't seem to have lost any more than the rest of their party or other candidates lost to SF.

Advertisement