Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Jizique

It’s the only hope the country has for a bit of stability and a decent outlook going forward. People are total idiots voting so much for SF. Totally ignoring how well the county has done under FG.

The only positive of SF getting into gov is to allow themselves demonstrate they haven’t a clue and can’t even nearly achieve anything they have claimed and put them back under their rock at the next election.

The Sinners did such a good job when they had the most seats on Dublin city council they lost most of their seats next time out

• Registered Users Posts: 19,570 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

It was more amalgamation of the health boards and closures of district hospitals by Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil in the 1980s. After amalgamation, roles were duplicated but never abolished. I remember going to Cashel hospital in the early 90s when I sprained my wrist. I was in and out with a cast in under an hour. 2002 I had to go to Nenagh them on to Limerick and was stuck in the regional hospital for 5 hours.

John the Guard and Mary the nurse trousered a good hefty wedge of taxpayers money to fix your sprained wrist, dude.

But hey, someone has to pay for the ‘little place’ in Spain and the index linked pensions. Unions saw to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Will you go away, they cut corners financially and left load of women going on about their lives as their ovaries killed them from within.

All to save money, they outsourced the testing to the cheapest bidder.

True but lets not forget that those issues called out are not problems. The FG and FF model is to outsource as you have more control over the suppliers you have at hand.

There does need to be a rebuilding of the healthservice management to either trim down on the non-direct line services or at least re purpose them so they are more useful.

SF does recognize that funding is not an issue, or at least my local TD did when we met him before the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Wouldnt be so sure of that, the exit poll showed SF leading FFG in some ABC1 age categories. SF led in all age groups from 18 to 65 too.

In any case just heard that the election of Chris Andrews in Dublin South is the first time a Sinn Fein candidate has been elected in that constituency since Constance Markievicz in 1918. One of the wealthiest areas in the country electing a Shinner shows things have changed.

Link to that ABC1 information?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,787 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wouldnt be so sure of that, the exit poll showed SF leading FFG in some ABC1 age categories. SF led in all age groups from 18 to 65 too.

In any case just heard that the election of Chris Andrews in Dublin South is the first time a Sinn Fein candidate has been elected in that constituency since Constance Markievicz in 1918. One of the wealthiest areas in the country electing a Shinner shows things have changed.

Dont be suprised that the anti-SF crowd are out of touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Will all remaining counts stop at 10pm??

I'd say they'll keep going if they think they can get out wrapped up tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

4th lowest turnout for a GE in history.

That makes it even grimmer for FF and FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,570 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil can’t afford another general election, Sinn Féin know exactly where they’ll win seats now and the people who wanted to vote Sinn Féin but chose Fianna Fáil purely because of the local election results and to get FG out will vote Sinn Fein this time around.

Mary Lou has them over a barrel

Incorrect, it’s ML who is over the barrel.

Claiming to have a mandate,quite truthfully.

Now go on and sort out that mandate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

threeball wrote: »
    There was a girl on newstalk Friday speaking about this. She said the figures are collected differently as just complaining about accommodation is enough to declare yourself as homeless, despite having a house. Varadkars figures included these people but the actual figure was about 14 to 15k so still very high.

So not the 20k Leo claimed. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭threeball

Boggles wrote: »
    4th lowest turnout for a GE in history.

That makes it even grimmer for FF and FG.

The low turnout was generally the older demographic which they are putting down to the weather so may not be as from as you are making out. A mobilised older vote and extra candidates could see the SF vote decimated next time out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

A former Fianna Failer and member of the Andrews dynasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,175 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

If FF or FG (and someone else) won't go in with them they won't have the numbers so not just on them let's be honest

So not the 20k Leo claimed. Cheers.

It depends what figures you include. All these things have nuances when you cross borders. Our weather warnings have different criteria to theirs for example so a storm that gets orange status here might only get yellow there or vice versa.

Dude ML is willing to form a government, she has contacted all parties. It's looking like FG and FF are taking their ball and going home. The optics for FG/FF ain't good no matter what you claim.
    What of the mandate of FF/FG, combined 43% of the voters voted for them yet they are ignoring them.
    The poster was right ML has them over a barrel, it's a win win for SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I wonder did anybody run for Sinn Fein thinking they wouldn't get elected based on the results they got in the local elections last year and now they are wondering what are they going to do.

There is a few but the best I've heard of yet was Clares Violent-Ann Wynn. She ran in the local elections last year and didnt get elected with only 385 votes. For this election she put up exactly 20 posters in all of Co.Clare and came home with 10,000+ votes in a traditional FFG stronghold. Completely out of the blue.

It depends what figures you include. All these things have nuances when you cross borders. Our weather warnings have different criteria to theirs for example so a storm that gets orange status here might only get yellow there or vice versa.

Still not the 20k Leo claimed as you can't apply the criteria used in the Republic to the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,787 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Dude ML is willing to form a government, she has contacted all parties. It's looking like FG and FF are taking their ball and going home. The optics for FG/FF ain't good no matter what you claim.
    What of the mandate of FF/FG, combined 43% of the voters voted for them yet they are ignoring them.

The attempts to spin this as anything else is amazing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭FreeThePants

A mobilised older vote and extra candidates could see the SF vote decimated next time out.

Assuming they form a government, I think their actual performance is going to be much more important. Some ofthose older voters who stayed home for the weather, sino won't be with us in afew years time. Meanwhile the demographic swell of younger voters becoming eligible to do so is only going to grow, and if this year's election is anything to go by, they won't have any issues with voting SF (if that is, SF don't sh*t the bed while in power).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Its the first time on North Kildare also since 1918.

A great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

There is a few but the best I've heard of yet was Clares Violent-Ann Wynn. She ran in the local elections last year and didnt get elected with only 385 votes. For this election she put up exactly 20 posters in all of Co.Clare and came home with 10,000+ votes in a traditional FFG stronghold. Completely out of the blue.

Freudian slip? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Dude ML is willing to form a government, she has contacted all parties. It's looking like FG and FF are taking their ball and going home.

I don't understand this. The theme of this election was a change, why are people complaining then that FF or FG won't immediately jump back into their seats? Maybe the reality of how governments work the last couple of decades kicking in?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,057 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

What in the name of Jesus was David cullinane thinking saying what he said ? I mean massive vote in Waterford and given how the numbers are he'd be a minister and he may still be but that was really stupid thing to do. I mean in a day and age where there are cameras everywhere he and all politicians need to be mindful of what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Good analysis.

Assuming they form a government, I think their actual performance is going to be much more important. Some ofthose older voters who stayed home for the weather, sino won't be with us in afew years time. Meanwhile the demographic swell of younger voters becoming eligible to do so is only going to grow, and if this year's election is anything to go by, they won't have any issues with voting SF (if that is, SF don't sh*t the bed while in power).

Big If

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Hurrache wrote: »
    You see, this is exactly the problem with some in the electorate. The facts are available for all to see and look up, but they prefer little sound bites fed to them to reinforce their confirmation bias.

You are right the facts are available for all to see
    People more intelligent than you or I quit their job because of the outsourcing of smear tests, they knew exactly what would happen

https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2018/0430/959157-national-cervical-screening-programme/

Condescending to people for reaching to the only helping hand they have when it comes to their special needs kids or sick parents etc
    be it the Healy Raes or Sinn Fein or anyone else
    Is the reason for the election results we are looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Will you go away, they cut corners financially and left load of women going on about their lives as their ovaries killed them from within.

All to save money, they outsourced the testing to the cheapest bidder.

A lot of times you're dammed if you do or dammed if you don't while in government.

People rage about overspending on the children's hospital while at the same time are understandably upset about cost saving that may have led to these issues.

Most of the time the minister has little visibility into a lot of these decisions and whether it is SF or FG or FF person in charge the same civil servant will be making the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

So it's looking like FF will win with 38 seats from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

38. Got a break with the transfers in Longford Westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

If FF FG and Greens learn a lesson and tackles the issues raised a lot of this great youth vote will be happy looking after their middle class lives and will know where their bread is buttered

S.F. know that they have only one chance. We've seen it all before with the P.D.s and Labour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

As I’ve pointed out on here the past couple of weeks. This election has proven that parliamentary politics has well and truly run its course in Ireland and I don’t see any of these major parties ever having a majority ever again. In the coming decade there’ll have to be an alternative political system.

Advertisement