Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,787 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lad is well ahead of himself.

Up to now the left have been claiming to have all the answers, and the electorate voted left.

And the electorate voted for change.

So please, stop whinging and get on with it.

Cant believe any over the age of 5 thinks 35 is the same as 81 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Time for SF, FF, and the Greens to get into negotiations very soon. Country doesn’t have time for posturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Lad is well ahead of himself.

Up to now the left have been claiming to have all the answers, and the electorate voted left.

And the electorate voted for change.

So please, stop whinging and get on with it.

Brendan, no party can do it on their own. The parties will have to work together. Now we'll see who puts the country before party.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,570 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

pjohnson wrote: »
    Cant believe any over the age of 5 thinks 35 is the same as 31 :pac:

No idea what your point is but ,thanks anyway.

No idea what your point is but ,thanks anyway.

You expect SF to just start the government solo and to get on with it.

You clearly have no notion how politics works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Time for SF, FF, and the Greens to get into negotiations very soon. Country doesn’t have time for posturing.

This is how these thing play out though. Would be politically naive for any side to show their hand too early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Hurrache wrote: »
    You're moving goalposts, it's started with claims the health service is under funded, (it's right at the European average per gdp) which I pointed out is false.

Must have missed the post where it began
    I think we agree
    I would like to see the health service ripped apart
    Full accountability for every cent spent across the board
    Far too many people lining their pockets and their buddies pockets with tax payers money,
    It’s criminal, but I think what I’m looking for will never happen.

But disagree to put it down to ‘the electorate listening to sound bites’
    The electorate are the people who buried their mothers and sisters
    They are rightly p!ssed off with hearing about useless million euro printers,
    the waste on the CH..it could have been great but too much money to be skimmed off the backs of the tax payers.
    So we are where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

You expect SF to just start the government solo and to get on with it.

You clearly have no notion how politics works.
    But but but SF have a mandate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Edgware wrote: »
    But but but SF have a mandate!

So do ff and fg

36, 37 and 38 seats is likely.

Pity its not 37, 37 and 37!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

As I’ve pointed out on here the past couple of weeks. This election has proven that parliamentary politics has well and truly run its course in Ireland and I don’t see any of these major parties ever having a majority ever again. In the coming decade there’ll have to be an alternative political system.

You think that there should be a new political system because it no longer suits FF and FG?

It is exactly that thought process that has resulted in both FF and FG getting their arses kicked in a massive way in this election, and it will not be the last time it happens either if both parties don't cop on.

Most countries in Europe do not return a single party with a big enough majority to go solo. Yet almost all of them function very well, many of them far better than our governments or civil service.

As far as I am concerned SF have done the greatest thing for politics in this nation since its foundation, and I am sure that this will be recognised by the vast majority of the electorate in the year to come.
    Now every party must find ways to work with each other and find common ground, and if they cant well they will die a slow but certain death as a political force. If a politician isnt capable of cooperating, moderating their view point or finding common ground then no matter which party they claim to represent they should not be let take one step into the Dail.

They days name calling, belittling and condescension as is all too apparent on this forum and in this election are dead and gone. Its time for many parties,politicians and their 'supporter's to actually grow up. They don't have to agree completely with each other, but they do have to find enough common ground so that they can work together. But that can only happen if they actually give the respect to opposing parties that they are due and also to those voters that elected them.

You would only want a new political system if you believed that only two parties (or one ) had a inherent right to rule. That sounds dangerously close to some very right wing ideologies or countries with very dodgy democracies to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

Surely the greens wouldn't be foolish enough to prop up a ffg government. I'd never vote for them again anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

When you see the clamour for change in other countries resulting in right wing gains at least we have gone for a slightly left wing option. I would probably be centre right in politics economically but would prefer a slightly left wing party in than a far right one.

If this is our Trump/Brexit moment it is not the worst. Good to see the Ra heads being reigned in also. Think if Sinn Fein stays as one of the main parties their influence will wain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭BQQ

This is how these thing play out though. Would be politically naive for any side to show their hand too early.

There’ll be a delicate ballet where FFG will not want to be seen to deny SF, so they’ll pretend to talk - make an offer they have to refuse and say SF walked away

Only after this charade will the inevitable FF FG Green coalition be formed

The vast majority of FF voters did so having been told FF would not go into gov with SF. If they go back on that they will be destroyed at the next election. Thankfully FG are sticking by their promise. If FF go in with SF expect a massive swing in FF to FG in the next election, in ways it could be the best outcome now in the long run as FF will lose a load of support and SF will show the county they are a crowd of idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,570 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

emo72 wrote: »
    Brendan, no party can do it on their own. The parties will have to work together. Now we'll see who puts the country before party.

I know that, but it’s up to SF and the left whom they courted in the vote to lead the way.

They can’t just sit back and expect others whom the electorate roundly rejected to carry the load.

And neither can the assorted bunch of bullhorn merchants and picketeers , a lot of whom got in on SFs coat tails continue to sit back, and smugly draw their wedge and do nothing.

And neither can folk like the Kerry crowd, the Roscommon crowd of gobby individuals now relax for a another few years on the taxpayers teat, proclaiming to know everything that is wrong but offering no fixes.

Time for this bullscrap to be exposed and called out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

They can’t just sit back and expect others whom the electorate roundly rejected to carry the load.

By definition, the electorate rejected no one that they elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Try work it out? Surely you aren't that dim.

You realise that was rhetorical question...right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Claire Byrne leather trousers.

Get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Jikers. Lovin Claire's leathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,550 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If there in Govn't the FF voters won't mind.

• Advertisement

Surely the greens wouldn't be foolish enough to prop up a ffg government. I'd never vote for them again anyway.
    I'm sure that they will get by without your "vote"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

efanton wrote: »
    You think that there should be a new political system because it no longer suits FF and FG?

It is exactly that thought process that has resulted in both FF and FG getting their arses kicked in a massive way in this election, and it will not be the last time it happens either if both parties don't cop on.

Most countries in Europe do not return a single party with a big enough majority to go solo. Yet almost all of them function very well, many of them far better than our governments or civil service.

As far as I am concerned SF have done the greatest thing for politics in this nation since its foundation, and I am sure that this will be recognised by the vast majority of the electorate in the year to come.
    Now every party must find ways to work with each other and find common ground, and if they cant well they will die a slow but certain death as a political force. If a politician isnt capable of cooperating, moderating their view point or finding common ground then no matter which party they claim to represent they should not be let take one step into the Dail.

They days name calling, belittling and condescension as is all too apparent on this forum and in this election are dead and gone. Its time for many parties,politicians and their 'supporter's to actually grow up. They don't have to agree completely with each other, but they do have to find enough common ground so that they can work together. But that can only happen if they actually give the respect to opposing parties that they are due and also to those voters that elected them.

You would only want a new political system if you believed that only two parties (or one ) had a inherent right to rule. That sounds dangerously close to some very right wing ideologies or countries with very dodgy democracies to me.

I voted for neither FF, FG. 1. Seamus Healy who I know personally through his sister my neighbour. 2. Marese Skehan as a mark of respect to the lady who I knew as well. I did give my local SF candidate #3. I knew they’d break through this time around and every vote counts.

I was actually thinking of a system where local politics would play a bigger part when it comes to things like healthcare, justice and housing.

Note that I have defended SF voters right to choose who to elect on here the past 24hrs. Like it or lump it the electorate has spoken.

Claire Byrne leather trousers.

Get in.
    Still aroused by Miriams little squels of delight from earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

daheff wrote: »
    Leo first then Micheal. FF/FG/Green govt...possibly SD or lab to make up the numbers

Anyone but SF. FF & FG will suddenly remember they were the same party at one stage. Easier to do business with them than SF (ultimate enemy).

FF and FG have been longer split than FF and SF

daheff wrote: »
    Leo first then Micheal. FF/FG/Green govt...possibly SD or lab to make up the numbers

Anyone but SF. FF & FG will suddenly remember they were the same party at one stage. Easier to do business with them than SF (ultimate enemy).

Might aswell unite outright and stop pretending they are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

I know that, but it’s up to SF and the left whom they courted in the vote to lead the way.

And neither can the assorted bunch of bullhorn merchants and picketeers , a lot of whom got in on SFs coat tails continue to sit back, and smugly draw their wedge and do nothing.

And neither can folk like the Kerry crowd, the Roscommon crowd of gobby individuals now relax for a another few years on the taxpayers teat, proclaiming to know everything that is wrong but offering no fixes.

Time for this bullscrap to be exposed and called out.

No. It will be up to the party with most votes to try form a government.

If they fail or refuse to do so then its up to them to say that and offer the next biggest party the chance to form a government.

How could it possibly be SF responsibility if they do not end up with the largest number of seats in the Dail.

The largest party has to acknowledge that they have failed to form a government before other parties can step forward to form one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

If they fail or refuse to do so then its up to them to say that and offer the next biggest party the chance to form a government.

How could it possibly be SF responsibility if they do not end up with the largest number of seats in the Dail.

The largest party has to acknowledge that they have failed to form a government before other parties can step forward to form one.

I can see your reasoning however SF won the popular vote and got the largest 1st preference vote so surely it would be down to them to get first crack at forming a government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

1 seat more is effectively a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,057 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is it just me or does Robert Troy looked shattered ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭Acosta

Might aswell unite outright and stop pretending they are different.

Some chance of that when it means less ministerial pensions and expenses to go round.

Advertisement