Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

They are going to build houses for 65k a pop.

Isn't that figure cost to the taxpayer? Those houses would be part paid for by the occupant.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,100 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Read the post I quoted again. Then get back to me. Oh and I did say Brexit "type" mania.

There might be an impression out there that there was a very large swing to the Conservatives due to Brexit. But they only increased their percentage by 1.2% from the previous election. They got a lot of extra seats because of the voting system.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Read the post I quoted again. Then get back to me. Oh and I did say Brexit "type" mania.

Oh no. Your word play didn't distract from the idiotic comparison. You know it. I know it.

Ridiculous comparison and there is no parallels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Acosta

Jesus a few people on here need to go to bed and try to sleep off their rattlement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

It is. The people want change. Thats why the vote is so split.

Is it more an anybody but that shower result?
    There is one thing certain, all but S.F. will do everything to avoid another election soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There might be an impression out there that there was a very large swing to the Conservatives due to Brexit. But they only increased their percentage by 1.2% from the previous election. They got a lot of extra seats because of the voting system.

I was referring to the Brexit type mania that consumed voters into thinking things would be much better for them with Brexit. Nothing anyone could say would change their minds. I personally don't think things will be any better, and perhaps will be worse for the cohort who voted for Brexit. But they blindly voted for it rather than thinking behind the soundbytes.

That is the comparison to voting SF here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

:cool:

But why?

I can't forget what the PIRA & Sinn Fein did, all those bombings, all those murders with total indifference from the SF leadership .....and yes, time is a healer but not if they still believe that they were right in their actions.

I wonder what the Warrington victims families make of this result? Finally rewarding the killers!
    Enniskillen victims too........

I won't forget, hence I will never vote Sinn Fein.

This election will show that the Northern situation does not impact anymore.
    There is only one thing that will stop the rise of S.F
    let them into power and start implementing their tax policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

We would seriously have to think about a military coup if they ever got control. It's simply unacceptable.
    I don't think paramilitary action is the way to go on this.

I am a dyed in the wool Fine Gael'er, but it's clear to me that we have let young people down in this country. We have folks here spending half their incomes on housing for sh1tboxes - it's inexcusable. Radical action is needed to get housing prices down.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Edgware wrote: »
    There is one thing certain, all but S.F. will do everything to avoid another election soon
    More so than in 2016. Another election would not suit anyone, costwise. Arrangements will have to be made but how will that suit a volatile electorate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭circadian

That generation, and their various snowflake/'mental health' problems seem to have spilled over into putting the nation at risk now. They simply dont know what they are doing, but have grown up, have votes, and are now doing real harm. Its a very difficult situation.

Sinn Fein didn't get any of my votes or transfers. I grew up in the Bogside during the troubles and Ellis I couldn't bring myself to vote for.

However, I would never begrudge or feel dismay at someone voting for them. Everyone has the same democratic right to cast a vote as they see fit.

This post is ****ing hilarious though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Edgware wrote: »

I voted SF because I want change.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lovely.

Id watch this person representing our country.
    I'm not sure she was running...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KD11

ismat wrote: »
    Do you think Sinn Fein will improve the country if they ever get into power ? Their policies are the ravings of lunatics. I’d be no great fan of fg but they have done an ok job over the last nine years. FF will continue same hopefully

Sinn Fein would be a disaster. I agree that FG have done an ok job considering the state of the country when they took over. It's not perfect by any means but no government is.

I just can't believe that people actually think FF and Micheal martin can be trusted to carry on the recovery seeing as how badly they screwed us all over the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

meeeeh wrote: »
    This is not traditional squeezed middle paying childcare for 2 kids and mortgage. It's younger people who can't get secure housing and start the family.

It kind of is the tradition squeezed middle too, though. My wife and I both work, we have our own house with an affordable mortgage, we run a car, eat out several times a year and have a nice holiday once a year. We still think the current housing situation is a disgrace though, and we will vote to get it fixed even though we don't need it fixed for ourselves because (a) we are a part of a society and (b) our kids will need to house themselves at some time in the future. Similarly, we want to see the health service improved even though we have private health insurance, and not just because my wife works in it.

I was referring to the Brexit type mania that consumed voters into thinking things would be much better for them with Brexit. Nothing anyone could say would change their minds. I personally don't think things will be any better, and perhaps will be worse for the cohort who voted for Brexit. But they blindly voted for it rather than thinking behind the soundbytes.

That is the comparison to voting SF here.

It's a extraordinarily poor comparison.

In order for it to hold water you'd have had to have had people coming out with their intention to vote SF months ago and not changing from that intention despite all information to distract from that vote direction.

The polls simply don't back up your argument.

So in short. Your not happy with a result therefore your throwing crap at a wall to make it look like something you want it to look like.

Didn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

circadian wrote: »
    Sinn Fein didn't get any of my votes or transfers. I grew up in the Bogside during the troubles and Ellis I couldn't bring myself to vote for.

However, I would never begrudge or feel dismay at someone voting for them. Everyone has the same democratic right to cast a vote as they see fit.

This post is ****ing hilarious though.

We need to leave the troubles firmly in the past imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

meeeeh wrote: »
    They are both telling people what they want to hear. It doesn't matter what policies match. You can have left or right populism but it's still populism.

You know it's a three way split right? How come it's not FF like Trump?
    Every politician is telling the people who vote for them what they want to hear.
    This Trump comparison is the latest in a tyraid of nasty insulting sneers from folk unhappy a third party is a viable option ongoing.
    Any fan of democracy should appreciate how healthy that is.
    FF and FG will need be better rather than waiting in the wings on the other to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

Acosta wrote: »
    Jesus a few people on here need to go to bed and try to sleep off their rattlement

I, for one, am revelling in it. I know it's only a poll but just imagining the face on Meehawl when he sees SF at 22.3 and FF at 22.2. I'll sleep well tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

listermint wrote: »
    Oh no. Your word play didn't distract from the idiotic comparison. You know it. I know it.

Ridiculous comparison and there is no parallels

You refuse to realise that both scenarios are more or less exactly the same though.

Brexit type mania had no information behind it, just a jingoistic mindset, get out of EU at any cost even if it destroys us.

SF mania is exactly the same. I very much doubt that all this SF mania is the result of people actually reading and analysing their manifesto and costings. No it is because it it right for us now, we need change and so on.

The comparison is very valid IMO. But I understand your anger at me. Sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

THe best thing about this ? With the big three all on a knife edge ? Try delivering another few years of no results !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

:cool:

But why?

I can't forget what the PIRA & Sinn Fein did, all those bombings, all those murders with total indifference from the SF leadership .....and yes, time is a healer but not if they still believe that they were right in their actions.

I wonder what the Warrington victims families make of this result? Finally rewarding the killers!
    Enniskillen victims too........

I won't forget, hence I will never vote Sinn Fein.
    Desperation? Lack of any other realistic alternative?
    SF having some good politicians helps.
    I grew up in northern Ireland in the 80s btw...so I know the history... especially where I am from

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

I am a dyed in the wool Fine Gael'er, but it's clear to me that we have let young people down in this country.

It seems to me that you're not as dyed-in-the-wool FG as you think; if you were you wouldn't think that way at all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

I am a dyed in the wool Fine Gael'er, but it's clear to me that we have let young people down in this country. We have folks here spending half their incomes on housing for sh1tboxes - it's inexcusable. Radical action is needed to get housing prices down.

The fault for that lies with the lefty DCC...not national government. Young people are unaware of this and embarrassed themselves.

99% of Ireland has very affordable housing, no need for young people to be living in the city centre now is there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

is_that_so wrote: »
    More so than in 2016. Another election would not suit anyone, costwise. Arrangements will have to be made but how will that suit a volatile electorate?

Do you think FG will finish with the most seats? I think they might but so many constituencies will be dogfights.
    FF have done badly in Dublin again. FG started the campaign badly but finished it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

2016 / 2016/ 2020
    exit/ actual/ exit

FG 24.8 / 25.5/ 22.4
    FF 21.1 / 24.3 / 22.2
    SF 16.0/ 13.8 / 22.3
    Lab 7.1 / 6.6/ 4.6
    GP 3.6/ 2.7/ 7.9

You refuse to realise that both scenarios are more or less exactly the same though.

Brexit type mania had no information behind it, just a jingoistic mindset, get out of EU at any cost even if it destroys us.

SF mania is exactly the same. I very much doubt that all this SF mania is the result of people actually reading and analysing their manifesto and costings. No it is because it it right for us now, we need change and so on.

The comparison is very valid IMO. But I understand your anger at me. Sorry about that.

I've no anger.

You've form in this btw. Pretending a poster is angry when in fact they are just pointing out your logical fallacies.

Surely you find your continued argument that the Irish election poll is the same as brexit is a loss

It's failed all metrics.

Effort . Zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Nervous times for the people who get out of bed to work every morning.

Grim enough results.

If Sinn Fein ran 80 candidates they’d have romped home with a majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭circadian

We need to leave the troubles firmly in the past imo.

I agree but when it was on your doorstep for the first 15 odd years of your life with the usual dickheads making life hard for you if you weren't involved then it's hard to support someone who had also taken part.

I have family that were volunteers, I'd never vote for them. I'll talk to them and be civil but that's it.

If Sinn Fein had put forward a younger candidate that didn't have involvement with the Provo's then I'd consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

listermint wrote: »
    It's a extraordinarily poor comparison.

In fairness I think it's apt. The theme of the election is to just change the government, but with little thought put into the policies of the parties they want change to. A change alone will resolve all the country's problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

You know it's a three way split right? Hiw come it's not FF like Trump?
    Every politician is telling the people who vote for them what they want to hear.
    This Trump comparison is the latest in a tyraid of nasty insulting sneers from folk unhappy a third party is a viable option ongoing.
    Any fan of democracy should appreciate how healthy that is.
    FF and FG will need be better rather than waiting in the wings on the other to fail.

It’s bloody incredible that there’s nothing between them , when the economy is booming ! I thought we might have to suffer decades more of the ffg duopoly of failure. A few months ago , who’d have believed this , of this is the speeed at which things have changed , their run on easy street is over !!!

Advertisement