Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Suckit wrote: »
    SF won't be pulling on anything if it's not possible, nor will most of their voters be bothered if they don't.

As mentioned, everyone knows what cards are on the table, while FG scurry into their holes, the doers are out trying to get things done.

SF is one of the most populist parties out there and they change position quicker and more often than the wind.

Any decision for them not to go into government will be based on them again being scared to be involved in governing than any political beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

Virgin 1 going to have a crack off up the ra comments now

It's no wonder things are the way they're.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

SF won't be pulling on anything if it's not possible, nor will most of their voters be bothered if they don't.

As mentioned, everyone knows what cards are on the table, while FG scurry into their holes, the doers are out trying to get things done.

Listen, FG were rejected by the electorate and are now the third biggest party. The economy is doing well and we had our first budget surplus in 11 years last year. It’s now beholden on FF and SF to make a deal with some combination of Greens/Soc Dems and start implementing this change people asked for.

Time for FG to go into opposition and for Labour to stay there. That’s not me being confrontational. That’s the reality, dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Jizique

Foxtrol wrote: »
    SF is one of the most populist parties out there and they change position quicker and more often than the wind.

Any decision for them not to go into government will be based on them again being scared to be involved in governing than any political beliefs.

The Irish UKIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Cullinane on VMTV now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Maybe it shows the people who voted for her did just for the sake of change and hadn't a scooby what they were voting for apart from that.

That was the case with a few SF TDs elected, it was very much a anyone but FFG vote that did it. But Patricia Ryan was only 16 votes short of a seat in 2016 so her constituents knew her well. Just found it gas that she could afford to take a holiday in the middle of the election campaign and still get elected and unseat a sitting FF TD in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Incorrect. I voted: 1. Independent 2. FG, 3. FG. Independent is excellent in the area and is currently working with FG and will do so again so it’s almost an FG vote also.

Lowry or Naughten so.

Do I win anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

limnam wrote: »
    Virgin 1 going to have a crack off up the ra comments now

It's no wonder things are the way they're.

What is it a dictatorship now? So no one can question the the behaviour of anyone in Sinn Fein? Grow up

Maybe it shows the people who voted for her did just for the sake of change and hadn't a scooby what they were voting for apart from that.

in all fairness

maybe it shows that running around the three weeks before an election grabbing babies, decorating lampposts, shaking hands, annoying people making dinner and attacking the people youll be working with a month later

is a really stupid and ineffectual approach

• Registered Users Posts: 34,012 ✭✭✭✭listermint

McMurphy wrote: »
    Lowry or Naughten so.

Do I win anything?

Lowry... Jesus and he's around here spitting venom about other parties.

• Advertisement

What is it a dictatorship now? So no one can question the the behaviour of anyone in Sinn Fein? Grow up

Sure,

Looking forward to FG/FF questioning on something worthwhile.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Lowry or Naughten so.

Do I win anything?

I think Nox is a Galway man like myself, Murph. He’s talking about Seán Canney from up Tuam direction I’d imagine. East Galway was one of the only constituencies not to return the SF candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Listen, FG were rejected by the electorate and are now the third biggest party. The economy is doing well and we had our first budget surplus in 11 years last year. It’s now beholden on FF and SF to make a deal with some combination of Greens/Soc Dems and start implementing this change people asked for.

Time for FG to go into opposition and for Labour to stay there. That’s not me being confrontational. That’s the reality, dude.

I am aware it is beholden on FF then SF. If FF try to get something going with FG and the greens, wil they run away?
    If FF and FG refuse, there's nothing to be done. The first responsibility lies with FF, and if they and SF can't do it, FG will be handed a shot, so all is not lost for them, May still get a final shot at assemblng something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So if everyone but FF & FG decide to form a government (they have the numbers by 7 by this post) how long would it last. To it be somewhat stable It have to be SF/FF & another party

in all fairness

maybe it shows that running around the three weeks before an election grabbing babies, decorating lampposts, shaking hands, annoying people making dinner and attacking the people youll be working with a month later

is a really stupid and ineffectual approach

I get you but it obviously works as they all do it and by all accounts. Credit is due to Sinn Fein as they are apparently a very well oiled political machine when it comes to those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Speaking of inanimate carbon rods the best laugh I got from this election was from the new SF Kildare South TD Patricia Ryan. Her sons bought her a holiday for a Xmas present and it clashed with the 3 week election campaign. So off she goes on holiday right in the middle of an election campaign, not a bother on her and then comes back home to get 10,500 first preference votes and ends up unseating the Fianna Fail incumbent Fiona oLoughlin Healy :D Healy got beaten by a candidate who was sitting relaxing on the beach !

For f*cks sake - it's Fiona O'Loughlin who was the Fianna Fail TD in Kildare South.

Fiona McLoughlin Healy is the Independent candidate who was eliminated earlier on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The FG one has an unfortunate permanently snooty sneering face which doesn't help her attack

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    The FG one has an unfortunate permanently snooty sneering face which doesn't help her attack

"We won't be talking about something else tomorrow."

Haven't learned a bloody thing.

I am aware it is beholden on FF then SF. If FF try to get something going with FG and the greens, wil they run away?
    If FF and FG refuse, there's nothing to be done. The first responsibility lies with FF, and if they and SF can't do it, FG will be handed a shot, so all is not lost for them, May still get a final shot at assemblng something.

SF is already trying to get together a group outside of the FG and FF. I would love to be in those meetings, there's nothing a leftie dislikes more than a leftie that isn't as pure as they are.

Rather than coming to a grown up consensus they tear themselves apart - see the number of pointless parties in Ireland, Labour in the UK, and the Democrats in the US

If FF and SF get together I presume as they are almost equal on seat that a rotating Taoiseach will be on the cards.

How would that work in practice. One year each? Martin to go first as he looks like he will have one seat advantage?

• Advertisement

Listen, it’s a possibility and there’s an outside chance it will happen. But the last thing people want is Leo and the lads back in government. If they wanted that then they’d have voted for it.

Simple question - do you want to see FG in government, and, if so, did you want to see them in a future Government before the election was called?

So if everyone but FF & FG decide to form a government (they have the numbers by 7 by this post) how long would it last. To it be somewhat stable It have to be SF/FF & another party

It won't be FG anyway, they're cowering in a corner somewhere, blaming the stupid voters.
    So it will likely be FF and wheover they can muster together. Greens and SF likely.
    ut if Mary Lou tries for Taoiseach, all deals are off, as MM is likely only going to settle for anything if he can be Taoiseach.
    FG may think they are playing the smarter game, but it may come crumbling down on top of them as the only party not willing to cooperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Who's the woman on TV3 giving stick to the ra fella?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Caquas wrote: »
    Actual First Preference Voting after all first counts competed tonight:

C
    Exit poll was very close on FF, Lab and the Greens but FG and SF well below/above the margin of error of 1.3%

001394ab-521.jpg

Final seat count (assuming 2 FF for final seats in Cavan/Monaghan)

FF 38

SF 37

FG 35

Lab 6

S/PBP 5

GR 12

SD 6

I/O 20

Aon 1

The vagaries of our electoral system mean that the exit poll was "right" to predict a near-deadheat among the three largest parties. How different things might have been if SF had run a few more candidates!

the funniest thing in all of this, is watching the FG lot on here trying to push together a government as if they hold no responsibility at all.
    Pathetic as they are, it's funny to watch.

Who's the woman on TV3 giving stick to the ra fella?

Soemone who read a book, but had to look at her notes for the name of the book

FF & FG plus inds/Greens would last nearly a full term. They're smart enough to spend the money that will be there and hope for improvements in health and housing that will take the air out of SF support.

SF & FF I can't see lasting more than 2 years. Either SF will drag it down when they think it a good time for them politically or some SF scandal will come up and they'll refuse to take the necessary steps that FF will demand.

It won't be FG anyway, they're cowering in a corner somewhere, blaming the stupid voters.
    So it will likely be FF and wheover they can muster together. Greens and SF likely.
    ut if Mary Lou tries for Taoiseach, all deals are off, as MM is likely only going to settle for anything if he can be Taoiseach.
    FG may think they are playing the smarter game, but it may come crumbling down on top of them as the only party not willing to cooperate.

Jaysus will you relax:pac: FG would be mad to try and get in government again. They have a far more to gain by sitting in opposition and watch as SF put their money where their mouth is or not as the case may be. Sf might find things are a bit tougher to change when they are holding the reigns. Hope they succeed but really doubt if they will.

Listen, it’s a possibility and there’s an outside chance it will happen. But the last thing people want is Leo and the lads back in government. If they wanted that then they’d have voted for it.

Simple question - do you want to see FG in government, and, if so, did you want to see them in a future Government before the election was called?
    So what about the people that did vote for FG?

"Sorry, we're out, the other boys are too big for us"

To answer your question.
    No, I don't ever want to see this FG in government, they have already proven how incable they are.

Reverse the question,
    do you want to see SF in government, and, if so, did you want to see them in a future Government before the election was called?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I did not think it be FG. They are going bye and seeing what happens I say it be FF/SF/Greens or FF/SF/Labour and some independent support. Lawory and the Healy Raes need to keep up there gravy train

Advertisement