Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

They've talked about it now for 25 minutes

Christ all mighty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Suckit wrote: »
    So what about the people that did vote for FG?

"Sorry, we're out, the other boys are too big for us"

Isn't that exactly what SF said after the last election? Were you were extremely critical of them at that point

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Jaysus will you relax:pac: FG would be mad to try and get in government again. They have a far more to gain by sitting in opposition and watch as SF put their money where their mouth is or not as the case may be. Sf might find things are a bit tougher to change when they are holding the reigns. Hope they succeed but really doubt if they will.

It didn't stop them running.

Also I would query how any party with almost the same amount of seats as the other two main parties would benefit from 'watching' and not doing anything for the people that voted them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Who's the woman on TV3 giving stick to the ra fella?

The one that replaced Maria Bailey.
    Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Hurrache wrote: »
    There hasn't been one in years.

The last time there was a single-party majority government in Ireland was after the 1977 general election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Foxtrol wrote: »
    FF & FG plus inds/Greens would last nearly a full term. They're smart enough to spend the money that will be there and hope for improvements in health and housing that will take the air out of SF support.

SF & FF I can't see lasting more than 2 years. Either SF will drag it down when they think it a good time for them politically or some SF scandal will come up and they'll refuse to take the necessary steps that FF will demand.

The real players in FG may sound out they want to form a government in public but in private they want no part. They know it will last only a few years and they be getting themselves ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

So what about the people that did vote for FG?

"Sorry, we're out, the other boys are too big for us"

To answer your question.
    No, I don't ever want to see this FG in government, they have already proven how incable they are.

Reverse the question,
    do you want to see SF in government, and, if so, did you want to see them in a future Government before the election was called?

No I don’t want to see SF in government. I don’t like the idea. However they got the largest percentage of the popular vote, the 2nd most seats, and would have almost 50 seats ( conservative estimate) if they had run two candidates in some constituencies. The people want change and that’s democracy. They don’t want FG. FG need to accept that and go into opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

It didn't stop them running.

All parties will do things as part of a long term strategy. I can guarantee MLM is contemplating going into opposition again as she might be a bigger winner in the next election. She won't be saying it publicly of course but she would be mad not to include it as an option. That's the nature of politics

No I don’t want to see SF in government. I don’t like the idea. However they got the largest percentage of the popular vote, the 2nd most seats, and would have almost 50 seats ( conservative estimate) if they had run two candidates in some constituencies. The people want change and that’s democracy. They don’t want FG. FG need to accept that and go into opposition.
    That's pretty much the answer I expected from you tbh.

But you pushing for an SF government here won't get anything done, you need to go out on to the streets and mingle with the people to get them to tell SF to do it or they won't vote for them again.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I think Nox is a Galway man like myself, Murph. He’s talking about Seán Canney from up Tuam direction I’d imagine. East Galway was one of the only constituencies not to return the SF candidate.

Sorry John I didn't have a scooby doo where the poster in question is from - just going by the statement that he or she voted indy, but that indy was basically a FG candidate in everything but name.

Just watching VM1 here, the SF lad shouting up the RA taking a fair bit of heat, deservedly so imo, they're after making serious inroads, no need for it if they're wanting to be taken seriously.

I've no issue with what he shouted by the way, but some things are best shouted when in the company of like-minded people, and away from the public eye.

And yeah, I'll draw comparisons with any notion of a state commemoration to celebrate the tans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The real players in FG may sound out they want to form a government in public but in private they want no part. They know it will last only a few years and they be getting themselves ready.

Agree that it would be the FG preference but if SF (and there supporters based on this) are too scared to go into government then FG will eventually agree to it 'for the good of the nation'.

Both FG and FF will rightfully paint SF as again putting their party above the country and hope things have improved by the time they go to the polls again.

Given how the polls were looking during the campaign I'd say most FG folk would have taken being in this position.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,545 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

How are the last 2 seats likely to go anyone know?
    All those predictions of FF being the main party are out the window now it seems

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    The FG one has an unfortunate permanently snooty sneering face which doesn't help her attack

I'm not familiar with her who is she?

She looks like she'd take a dump on the shinners head if she could cock her leg high enough in the air to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Muahahaha wrote: »

Couldn’t see anything about it in the link. Interestingly it did say that 17% of SF voters highest academic achievement was Inter Cert/Junior Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

McMurphy wrote: »

She looks like she'd take a dump on the shinners head if she could cock her leg high enough in the air to do it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/election-2020-jennifer-carroll-macneill-fine-gael-1.4168938

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭blackcard

It won't be FG anyway, they're cowering in a corner somewhere, blaming the stupid voters.
    So it will likely be FF and wheover they can muster together. Greens and SF likely.
    ut if Mary Lou tries for Taoiseach, all deals are off, as MM is likely only going to settle for anything if he can be Taoiseach.
    FG may think they are playing the smarter game, but it may come crumbling down on top of them as the only party not willing to cooperate.

In fairness, FG have been in government for 9 years, coming into power when the country was in the middle of a bailout so they weren't cowering in a corner. Up to SF and FF now. Probably a rotating Taoiseach in fairness. SF spent the entire campaign saying it was time for a change and are now saying that FG should be trying to form a government

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

But they didn't win 50 seats. They won 37 out of 160. There is a lot that can be said for vote management for all parties after the event.

The reality is that there are two traditional centre right parties that combined have 73 seats. Sinn Fein can talk all they want claiming they have won the popular vote, they do not have the seats. The party with the most seats are FF.

The electorate is clearly split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

She's the seat that Maria Bailey won for FG. No swing gate, FG a seat less.
    Radser definitely owes her a few drinks in The Dean.
    Incidentally, Hugo would be a former international team mate of Paul Dean. Small world.

STB. wrote: »
    But they didn't win 50 seats. They won 37 out of 160. There is a lot that can be said for vote management for all parties after the event.

The reality is that there are two traditional centre right parties that combined have 73 seats. Sinn Fein can talk all they want claiming they have won the popular vote, they do not have the seats. The party with the most seats are FF.

The electorate is clearly split.
    It suits him to alter the numbers to how they could be..

Yep know who it is now alright.

She's attacking Sinn Fein and not in the job a wet day - literally.

Seriously lads, FG need to seriously consider looking at their pr guru's, take the whole team on a tone down the snootiness team building weekend or something.

They'll never learn.

FF man boasting how they're the bigger party like it's a micky measuring competition, the reality hasn't hit him yet that assuming it goes their way, it'll be by one seat and the CC gets automatically returned anyway.

• Advertisement

It suits him to alter the numbers to how they could be..

Aren’t you the lad who thought a working government could be formed with 61 seats? No offence dude, but I’d suggest numbers aren’t your forte.

The 1 things that made me shake my head at SF and it is an optic thing is that singing of the Black & Tans and the flag waving yesterday. If they want to be in government (and I know they can't control some who may come to a count centre) SF need to be mindful of what they say can be portrait

Yep know who it is now alright.

She's attacking Sinn Fein and not in the job a wet day - literally.

Seriously lads, FG need to seriously consider looking at their pr guru's, take the whole team on a tone down the snootiness team building weekend or something.

They'll never learn.

FF man boasting how they're the bigger party like it's a micky measuring competition, the reality hasn't hit him yet that assuming it goes their way, it'll be by one seat and the CC gets automatically returned anyway.

She's a dose.

Out of touch D4 toff.

The 1 things that made me shake my head at SF and it is an optic thing is that sings of the Black & Tans and the flag waving yesterday. If they want to be in government (and I know they can't control some who may come to a count centre) SF need to be mindful of what they say can be portrait

I saw some FF TD waving an irish top with his name on it today

no one batted an eye lid

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Couldn’t see anything about it in the link. Interestingly it did say that 17% of SF voters highest academic achievement was Inter Cert/Junior Cert.

No surprise there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

So what?

limnam wrote: »
    She's a dose.

Out of touch D4 toff.

There’ll be less FG women in the Dáil for the regulars around here to throw shade at. One drawback for the men (always men) of the current affairs forum.

I saw some FF TD waving an irish top with his name on it today

no one batted an eye lid

It was all of it together for me.

She's a dose.

Out of touch D4 toff.

Not out of touch with D4. Are they not as entitled to representation as anyone else ?

• Advertisement

She's a dose.

Out of touch D4 toff.

Former advisor to Alan Shatter and Frances Fitzgerald, so she knows the legal ropes.

Advertisement