Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

McMurphy wrote: »
    If posters on here were smart, they'd get out the abacus and realise a govt without either 2 of the big 3, or all 3 together, the numbers simply aren't there for SF to form a govt. Not a realistic govt, it's simply not feasible.

It simple math tbh. Either FG or FF will have to wind the necks in, or its back to the polls. There's no realistic alternative outcome here.

Time to stop deluding ourselves.

So let them go back to the polls. And if SF get more let them form a government. Them and left leaning parties could get enough to form a government and then they would have to act the way they are saying they will. The other two big parties don't need to destroy their image by going into a coalition with SF. At least one of them would be in power after a year or two again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

FF, SF and the Greens.

That works, the people voted for change, and the country needs stability. PP have it at 2/1. I get the feeling SF supporters are getting worried about the prospect of government. Hurlers on the ditch.

It’s also maths, not math. It’s a deeply annoying Americanism that has creeped in around here recently.

I actually wonder about the core talent that might be available to a putative government. There is some in SF, but it falls off a cliff very rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Suckit wrote: »
    They could also look at the Greens and FF.
    They aren't willing to look at any solutions at all.
    Leo needs to go. If FG are going to repeat the same sentence "The public voted didn't vote FG" over and over, then then need to look at why, and make changes.
    As leader during their 2nd worst performance ever, he should do the right thing and step down, especially if they're not willing to do anything else.

He just got in by the skin of his teeth. Damaging for fg. Run other election and get him out. Not a chance I’ll vote fg as long as he is leader

If FF FG wish to project the image they would rather watch the country burn than swallow some high moral ground lumps in their throats then bring it on. I think the Irish electorate empowered themselves on Saturday and they will punish them heavily.

Let them. And let the empowered electorate watch left wing government. It will be a comedy.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Did you mean to reply to a different post?

I’m not sure I follow the above in the context of what I wrote
    Just adding more information. Not every post is an attempted rebuttal! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Somebody should break it to them, FG need to be attempting something too.
    So, Sinn Féin to have been going on and on about "change", urging voters to kick out the government, and practically wetting their pants seeing Varadkar not get in on the first count.

But now they're complaining that FG aren't going into government?

That's talking out of both sides of your mouth taken to a new level.

FG are out of government, pushed out by the voters, at the insistence of SF & FF.

It's time for SF & FF to pull on their big boy pants and stop pointing at FG. They asked for FG to get out of government. Job done. It's hypocritical now for them to insist that FG try get back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Rufeo wrote: »
    If FFG are smart (I doubt it), they should just step back to let Sinn Fein have a crack at government. Let's see what they can (and can't) do.

This stuff is meaningless empty statements. ‘Let SF have a crack at it’ because they think they’ll fail and FFG can sweep back in within the year.

FFG need to start negotiating with SF as equal partners or go back to the polls with the wind in their face. They can’t both hang back I’m afraid because the numbers don’t allow them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Simon Harris elected alongside Fianna Fáil's Stephen Donnelly and the Green Party's Steven Matthews

There's another seat for SF next time around. Donnelly is due another flip.

seamus wrote: »
    It's time for SF & FF to pull on their big boy pants and stop pointing at FG. They asked for FG to get out of government. Job done. It's hypocritical now for them to insist that FG try get back in.

I would say that yesterday but I don't think normal party can go into government with 'up the Ra'. FF lost enough seats to do People Before Profit and sit in opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Idbatterim wrote: »
    He just got in by the skin of his teeth. Damaging for fg. Run other election and get him out. Not a chance I’ll vote fg as long as he is leader

You’re a FG GP SF voter now sure, why are you even contemplating voting for FG?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

So, Sinn Féin to have been going on and on about "change", urging voters to kick out the government, and practically wetting their pants seeing Varadkar not get in on the first count.

FG are out of government, pushed out by the voters, at the insistence of SF & FF.

Excellent post. Some of the all-day dudes around here were salivating at the idea of FG being thrown out. And now it looks like they want them back in Government! A party rejected by the electorate on their message around financial prudence aren’t what these people who voted for change wanted. They don’t want Leo and Simon hanging around.

SF were given a mandate by those who voted for them. They need to respect that and stop being a party of outrage, bluster, and indignation. County hurling now lads, and a big crowd have turned up to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I must have missed the part where SF compained about FG not going into government.
    The only people I have seen talking out both sides of ther mouth are FG.

"We didn't get voted in" and "We are doing fine as we are".
    It may need to be pointed out to you again, but it is time for ALL of the parties that were voted for to pull up their pants and form a government. Just because FG didn't get as many votes as they wanted, it doesn't give them any card to walk away from the people that did vote for them.
    Either FG are happy with the votes they got, in which case they should be looking at forming some sort of a government, or they are not happy with their results, in which case they need to be looking at what went wrong and where the problems lie in their party.

I'm not sure who exactly FG think they are teaching a lesson to here by refusing to coalesce with anyone. Their voters or the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Amazing to read all the comments about 'letting Sinn Féin have a go at government and failing' I'd like to have a go at the crystal ball you are using. The amount of salt in this thread is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Lets put it up to the electorate.

Go back to the polls with SF running 80 candidates.

There can be no mistaking what people are being asked to vote for - none of this childish 'protest vote' nonsense.

Let the electorate return SF with 50 plus seats and then own that decision as the country burns.

I must have missed the part where SF compained about FG not going into government.

It may need to pointed out to you again, but it is time for ALL of the parties that were voted for to pull up their pants and form a government. Just because FG didn't get as many votes as they wanted, it doesn't give them any card to walk away from the people that did vote for them.
    Either FG are happy with the votes they got, in which case they should be looking at forming some sort of a government, or they are not happy with their results, in which case they need to be looking at what went wrong and where the problems lie in their party.
    Nope, biggest party has to try, absolutely no obligation on anyone else. IIRC SF are the second biggest so they can have a go too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

It may need to be pointed out to you again, but it is time for ALL of the parties that were voted for to pull up their pants and form a government. Just because FG didn't get as many votes as they wanted, it doesn't give them any card to walk away from the people that did vote for them.

I'm not sure who exactly FG think they are teaching a lesson to here by refusing to coalesce with anyone. Their voters or the rest of the country.

SF and FG supporters voted for both parties knowing FG wouldn't go into power with SF

You don't think it's a kick in the teeth for both supporters if FG went in with SF now?

FG were the 3rd biggest party

is_that_so wrote: »
    Nope, biggest party has to try, absolutely no obligation on anyone else. IIRC SF are the second biggest so they can have a go too.

:confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

There can be no mistaking what people are being asked to vote for - none of this childish 'protest vote' nonsense.

Let the electorate return SF with 50 plus seats and then own that decision as the country burns.

:D

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Amazing to read all the comments about 'letting Sinn Féin have a go at government and failing' I'd like to have a go at the crystal ball you are using. The amount of salt in this thread is incredible.
    There is a dearth of talent and an abundance of very expensive somewhat questionable policies to push so the odds are very much on the failure side.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

LeeroyJ. wrote: »

toys out of prams everywhere

• Advertisement

I wonder how long it would take for SF to be found out, and would FF & FG be willing to give SF their time in the spotlight for 6 months or so.

If voters knew that there was a distinct possibility that SF would be running a government by themselves without the help of FF or FG, I wonder how likely they would be to vote for them. Can even see SF voters on here getting a bit nervy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Haha, the Shinners can’t even enjoy their successes! Terrified at the prospect of power so slinging mud at FG - a party they were desperate to see the back of. It’s good to watch lads. Most amusing.

SF and FG supporters voted for both parties knowing FG wouldn't go into power with SF

You don't think it's a kick in the teeth for both supporters if FG went in with SF now?

FG were the 3rd biggest party
    Nobody is demanding FG go into government.. They don't have the numbers to. But it is pathetic, and disrespectful to the voters that did vote for them, to not even attempt to try.

Either FG take resposibility for their position or they don't. Sitting back and watching everything while shouting from the sidelines how to form a government looks even worse.

FF and Greens would be willing to form a coalition with FG, why don't FG look at that instead of telling SF what to do?

Haha, the Shinners can’t even enjoy their successes! Terrified at the prospect of power so slinging mud at FG - a party they were desperate to see the back of. It’s good to watch lads. Most amusing.

It’s like watching an L Driver pretend that they have a full license and then someone asks them to drive.

lawred2 wrote: »
    toys out of prams everywhere
    Nah, usual "reservations" about SF remain but it's now more of an "off you go so and be that change" attitude. I'd call that listening to the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I wonder how long it would take for SF to be found out, and would FF & FG be willing to give SF their time in the spotlight for 6 months or so.

If voters knew that there was a distinct possibility that SF would be running a government by themselves without the help of FF or FG, I wonder how likely they would be to vote for them. Can even see SF voters on here getting a bit nervy.

There is no possibility of a SF majority. They'd need to get high 30`s for that

• Registered Users Posts: 34,010 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It’s like watching an L Driver pretend that they have a full license and then someone asks them to drive.

Ya if the driver had been driving for years licensed in another country....

Some analogy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I thought that when we inevitably are back to the polls in a few months, SF would run enough extra candidates and win and have a majority government.

But now I'm thinking is all this "Up the Ra" stuff from this election going to cause some voters pause for thought. Interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,021 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Can see no other option that a grand coalition. The shinners just don't have the numbers.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Either FG are happy with the votes they got, in which case they should be looking at forming some sort of a government
    You can't form a government from the back.

The biggest party(ies) have the obligation to start the process because they'll be the senior partner in coalitions.

By your argument, PBP are obliged to start chasing around looking to form a government of their own.

Advertisement